It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Does anyone know how this might affect solar panels?
Will it damage them, or will it charge faster in less time?

It shouldn't have any negligible effect on solar panels beyond confusing the charging module (a reset would fix that). It probably won't have much change on the absorbtion of light either as it is more of a magnetic anomaly than a light distortion. Your panels should be fine.
That being said, we'll have to see how it bleeds through the atmosphere, but I don't expect anything more than atmospheric disturbances like wireless systems, cel phones, sat-coms, sensitive electronics 'glitching' etc.
It won't cook anything. An M class flare might, but the C class flare associated with this event probably won't fry anything.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

I think most of the questions are answered here:
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

well ty, that doesn't look to bad after all.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
We will be fine tomorrow - no M or X flares. Look for the aurora, should be fantastic!

The sun is waking up, it does seem to be waking rather quickly with a lot of jolt. I do wonder if we might not make it until 2013 to experience something more intense that would affect us here on earth.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by OuttaTime

Would it start tonight or tomorrow night, and how long does this last?

It's supposed to start ramping up tonight, but the onset will more than likely be pretty quick, with tomorrow night being the peak of activity. Not quite sure if it will start tomorrow afternoon or evening. It's supposed to be done and over with by Thursday though. Hopefully the skies will be clear out here tomorrow night even though I don't know where it will be more prevailent. Hopefully I'll see something. I've never seen the aurora first hand before. It's on my 'to-do' list

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good points. C Class flares do not do much. Here is a link for the definitions of the different types:

spaceweather.com...

The CME does not appear to be a big one, so no doom and gloom for tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If this is any indication, I just got a 504 error from my satellite internet. A 504 is a 'Satellite Link Outage'. So, let the games begin

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

No you shouldn't be worried and its a typical newspaper the 'telegraph' well known by their editoral staff making headlines by passing lies to the public through mass fear-mongering tactics.

Except they got the info from New Scientist. Which you would have noticed if you read the article, as they actually link to it in bold text.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Every time the sun does something that might let me see Aurora here, there is massive cloud cover.

ARGH.

Peresids are this month too. Supposed to be a good one....if it isn't cloudy where you are.

[edit on 2010/8/2 by Aeons]

Oh, the reason this is interesting on a conspriacy site specifically - there should be a couple of reports of ufos and fireballs this month due to the meteor shower.

The Leonids in the winter seem to spawn a bunch of "holy crap there was a green fireball in the sky" type posts. The Leonids seem to be punching through for some spectacular shows the last couple of years.

[edit on 2010/8/2 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaTime
If this is any indication, I just got a 504 error from my satellite internet. A 504 is a 'Satellite Link Outage'. So, let the games begin

Really?

How interesting, did it cause that?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by butane bob

Except that the New Scientist article says nothing like

The explosion was aimed directly towards Earth, which then sent a “solar tsunami” racing 93 million miles across space.

Then the Telegraph reiterates it's prior misquote regarding the next solar maximum.

The Daily Telegraph disclosed in June that senior space agency scientists believed the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.

What was actually said was this:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms.

science.nasa.gov...

The sun is beginning to wake up now, not "sometime around 2013". "Unprecedented levels of magnetic activity" are not expected.

Don't use the Telegraph for news. Not science related at least. Sensationalistic garbage.

[edit on 8/2/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Don't use the Telegraph for news. Not science related at least.

Hi Phage, OK, making mental note of that.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by OuttaTime

Really?

How interesting, did it cause that?

I can't say 100%, but usually when there is some irregular type of solar activity, I tend to get more interruptions. Most of the time if I'm having connection problems I check the solar activity and it correlates much of the time. Occasionally I get the 504 error and when I refresh it goes to a 512 error (something about the hub from the satellite HQ not connecting with the satellite or the internet backbone).
They often try to pass off the 504 error as weather related factors (rain, fog, thunderstorms, etc) even when there isn't a cloud in the sky, or line of sight. I'm still expecting a 'Godzilla and Mothra bumped our satellite' error message

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Morning peeps, just wondering how it might effect the int/space station...i know they have had a few teething probs of late...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

tuesday, huh?

i'll be wearing my tin foil hat, and the sunblock too, but admittingly, i'm no expert on what happens when the earth gets hit with such a thing.

hopefully we can still talk about this after tuesday.

maybe if something bad happens, at least i might be able to finally see the northern lights here from illiniois?

good find, thanks for sharing it with us,
et

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Sensationalistic garbage.

Yet quite possibly more trustworthy than NASA....

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by union_jack
Morning peeps, just wondering how it might effect the int/space station...i know they have had a few teething probs of late...

I'm pretty sure they'll try to position it behind earth to protect it from anything. I read in another post that they were on backup cooling, so I hope they weather it ok.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm

Originally posted by Phage
Sensationalistic garbage.

Yet quite possibly more trustworthy than NASA....

I agree, especially since it was suggested that NASA/NOAA were photoshopping ice cap photos for the global warming agenda, along with photos of other planets being portrayed in drab lifeless colors. I find it difficult to trust the content of either one as we have very few ways of actually verifying their data.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

It was "suggested"? By whom?

But just what exactly would you do with "verified" data? What is it that you think is being distorted? Or is it only the data that doesn't support your position that you disbelieve? The stuff that backs up the sensationalism is the real stuff.

For example, the Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) program which currently provides most of the data we receive about the solar wind. The spacecraft was designed and built by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. The operations and data processing of the program are all handled at Caltech.

You want the data? Here it is:
www.srl.caltech.edu...
Have at it.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I gotta admit - I usually prefer information to data. I don't have enough time in this lifetime to become an expert in everything. I only have enough to look like an expert in everything.

Carry on.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I gotta admit - I usually prefer information to data. I don't have enough time in this lifetime to become an expert in everything. I only have enough to look like an expert in everything.

Carry on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join