It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.9 Million Barrels flowed into Gulf - Scientist say.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Roughly 4.9 million barrels of oil gushed from BP's ruptured well, scientists studying the flow said.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

What was the previous calculation that had flowed? Was it somewhere betweed 2-3 Million?

Thats an amazing amount of oil.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It is an amazing amount of oil which they claim now they can't find. If you believe that.

I bet it's roughly way more than that. Who knows for sure?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well, that's about 6 hours worth of oil consumption to the U.S. So, "not much"!

CIA - The World Factbook - Country Comparison :: Oil-consumption

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well either the amount is false, the dispersant caused it to sink or somehow chemically changed the composition of the oil and it cant be found.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Well either the amount is false, the dispersant caused it to sink or somehow chemically changed the composition of the oil and it cant be found.

Most likely dispersant...its probably in the gulf stream by now. At least that is my opinion...4.9 million gallons of oil doesn't just disappear...even underwater. And the amount of the so-called bacteria aiding in it disappearing is not anywhere near enough to make a difference.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by DragonFire1024]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Well, that's about 6 hours worth of oil consumption to the U.S. So, "not much"!

CIA - The World Factbook - Country Comparison :: Oil-consumption

Exactly. Disgusting.

How many barrels was the oil pocket supposed to hold all up? The world uses 85 million barrels a day..

Hahaha boy oh boy are we going to run off the cliff very very soon

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ok. Somebody who is better with big numbers figure this out for me. Just for curiosity' sake.

Say 5 million barrels flowed into the gulf. At 42 gallons per barrel, thats 210 million gallons? Right?

The gulf contains roughly 643 Quadrillion gallons of salt water.
(www.epa.gov...)

What percentage of oil is there now? Generally speaking. Just want to get the scale of this in my mind.

I'm not in any way trying to minimize this, but it seems like a small amount, percentage wise. If I put 1 drop of oil in my pool, its not going to destroy it. (although i definitely don't want ANY oil in my pool) And I realize most if not all would wind up as a ring at water level. Of course ive also chlorinated all the beneficial microbes that might have consumed said drop. Maybe it's more like 10 drops? This is why i'm curious.

Thanks in advance for an answer and I'm not sure if my link will work.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Scientists charged with determining the flow from the leaking BP well said Monday that roughly 4.9 million barrels of oil have seeped into the Gulf of Mexico,. Previously, the same group had put the total estimate of oil leaked from the well prior to it being capped on July 15 at between 3 million and 5.2 million barrels.

CNN.com

We can only wonder how accurate that is.

@ TheLieWeLive, thats true, where did it all go?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

I agree with your point in terms of context and dilution, but it is also said that one gallon of oil contaminates one million gallons of water. So 200 million gallons of times 1,000,000 and you start to approach big numbers.

Of course, motor oil is not the same as the unprocessed crude and methane that were coming out of that well.

Of course, its not just an oil slick to be concerned with, but the potential for large dead zones as these microbes eat up the suspended and broken-down crude.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

You sure know alot about "Their" side... You just happen to know so that you can conform everyones thoughts to your shilling agenda.

You were the first foe I have pushed the button on since I arrived here back in 04.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

Wow... even I am impressed by the results:

The ammout of oil spilled into the Gulf because of the DW blowout is:

.0000000328 %

Or 32 milliardths.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I notice that they used the word "barrel". The sheeple tend to confuse barrel with gallon. 4.9 million barrels doesn't as much as it would if it had been in gallons. They're just counting on people's ignorance to confuse the issue of how bad it really is.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
TBH I don't believe anything that the higher ups are saying re this whole event. Now on the UK news they're saying that BP are pulling back with the clean up efforts as there's no oil left, yet the oil is still washing up ashore in certain areas. Then I think of the fines that have been discussed on here in another post and wonder if that's why the figures seem so low, though I don't know how things pan out regarding the leak and any breaches in pollution of the seas..

BP have a LOT to answer for - shame they never answer anything truthfully

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
TBH I don't believe anything that the higher ups are saying re this whole event. Now on the UK news they're saying that BP are pulling back with the clean up efforts as there's no oil left, yet the oil is still washing up ashore in certain areas. Then I think of the fines that have been discussed on here in another post and wonder if that's why the figures seem so low, though I don't know how things pan out regarding the leak and any breaches in pollution of the seas..

BP have a LOT to answer for - shame they never answer anything truthfully

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
They are now saying it was the largest accidental release of oil ever.

NEW ORLEANS — The BP spill is by far the world’s largest accidental release of oil into marine waters, according to the most precise estimates yet of the well’s flow rate, announced by federal scientists on Monday.
Source: www.nytimes.com...

Sadly, it's not even the oil that we need worry about, seeing how they dumped all kinds of chemicals into the Gulf, to include Corexit.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xsamaelx

Thanks xsamaelx. I knew that it was gonna be miniscule. Sheeple need to quit watching MSM or a least think for themselves. sheesh! It's the end of the world! Run!! lm*o.
Global Warming!! Quick, find some shade! haha
Ice Age! Grab a coat!
This little blue dot has shaken off worse things than oil/humans/carbon/whathaveyou. And when the end DOES come, theres not gonna be much we can do.

(and just to be clear again, these are serious problems, but I guarantee it wont be me, you, or Obama or cap n trade, or the UN that solves em.)

Just as a sidenote: Whatsamattaforyou antar? Is that all it took for you to foe someone? He's justadood after all...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

The Gulf stream flows .6 million cubic meters per second. If 120,000 bbls/day was blowing out that represents .00000037 parts oil per parts water. If dispersed in the Gulf Stream you'd need a microscope to find it.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76
reply to post by xsamaelx

Thanks xsamaelx. I knew that it was gonna be miniscule. Sheeple need to quit watching MSM or a least think for themselves. sheesh! It's the end of the world! Run!! lm*o

smirk. I think its funny how the "MSM" gets used as an example of both 'too extreme' and 'not extreme enough'.

I think you can accuse a lot of people about fear-mongering as far as this event goes. But not really the MSM. IF anything, they've downplayed the event.

Just as a sidenote: Whatsamattaforyou antar? Is that all it took for you to foe someone? He's justadood after all...

Oh dear, is he implying im a 'shill' again because i poo-pood on one of his baseless fear threads a while back? OR has he confused me with a 'respected foe'?

Neverthemind

These threads are far more helpful when you properly utilize the ignore function.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by justadood]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Just noticed you say 04, but registered in 07.. typo or did you just read for 3 years.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
4.9 billion barrels into the Gulf is a catastrophe. Whats a bigger catastrophe is that those barrels are meaningless in the grand oil game.

We must find alternative energy sources and get them to the consumer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join