It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAMCO Demands Takedown Of Pacman Game Created By Kid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The really obnoxious part is at the end, where it says "While we appreciate the educational nature of your enterprise and look forward to the contributions of the future programmers you are training, part of their education should include concern for the intellectual property of others." Apparently propaganda about copyright is more important than actually teaching little Johnny how to program?

Source: www.techdirt.com...

I guess when that kid is growing up he is not going to work as programmer for NAMCO, hey*?

I guess big businesses just want to use human resources and not participate too much in training them, only milking the cow.

*I am canadian...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
There's a time and place for everything and there's a right way and a wrong way to do things. This fails miserably all around. Another sad day in the life.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Kids learn by copying what they like. That kid has learned a tough lesson, corporations are greedy ba(BEEEP!)rds. I am sure they will make a great activist out of that child, just like we are creating terrorism in the Middle-East. Yes we had 1000 billions to spare, but instead of helping people with it we are gonna kill many of you for the profit of private contractors. What a message to send, especially to the young.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Its interesting that if the kid is doing this for educational purposes then it is perfectly legal in the US.

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

www.copyright.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
wow, a kid from today that likes pac-man(1980).
im 25 and when i was a kid i never thought pacman was all that.
sonic was my game back in the day.
well im going to make my own pac-man game now co staring the tekken cast and a ridge racer car.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaxxon

Starred, that is really insightful, real nice addition to the thread.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Does anyone still buy the original Pac-Man?
If not, then this company isn't losing anything is it?

They are so upset that anyone can play for "free".

Maybe they should make a deal with the kid to advertize for the company.
The company could create a New & Updated version and sell it, thanks to this enterprising kid.

Some people just don't recognize opportunity when they see it.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
out dated games such as this can never really have any gainful opportunities.
those petty gits at namco are just nit picking.
i dont even think its possible to buy the original unless its from a collector.
but its probably available for the iphone and other such devices so there is still a market for old recylcled crap.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if he found out about it through emulators like MAME. Point is, all this stuff ("infringing") actually keeps people interested in these old games (people that weren't even born at the time) or else they'd likely be forgotten save for a few articles, photos and a few that actually own machines. With it kept "alive", it very well may make it possible to still profit from it here-and-there.

Bottom line: this is dumb and short-sighted.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Wait...I wasn't even aware NAMCO still existed lol.

Either way, this is absurd.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I think some old Pac-Man Arcades might be hanging around plus NAMCO ported their Pac-Man Games to the iPhone's App Store.

But it is pretty disapointing for a company like this to throw a fit over this. Perhaps helping him in his programming may have helped

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Its Blue Nose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
namco still exists as i still play a new tekken now and then.
namco wiki

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
they are complete and greedy retards and only loosing buy it,no one plays pacman anymore,if they got the kid on theyr adteam and used him to promote they could have made a small reborn. but now they will...well..perish
retards

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

Greedy Maybe. But a few people still play Pac-Man. Its sale on the App Store and other things like the google logo show this. Now Days games are more complex than they where around Pac-Man's Days, Just cause this kid can program Pac-Man does not mean that he will be able to program in NAMCO's Current Gen games. Also this will not bring NAMCO down. Its just one bad PR move.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well, Tetris Holding isn't surely not any better than this. They love going around handing out cease-and-desist letters like candy on anything that might remotely resemble the name or the game.

Perhaps this latest onslaught legal action is just a sign of the times with many on the verge of going belly-up like a fish in the gulf. Mental corexit and crude found its way into the thinking chain.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Maybe they should make a deal with the kid to advertize for the company.
The company could create a New & Updated version and sell it, thanks to this enterprising kid.

Some people just don't recognize opportunity when they see it.

EXACTLY!!! And that's what I don't understand. Just today I saw a video in a volcano thread here that had a video in it. I enjoyed the video but I enjoyed the song in the video even more. I searched for the artist for at least 10 minutes until I found him and then purchased 2 of his songs. I probably NEVER would've found the song or artist if it wasn't for watching the video. Some people will never get it.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
namco comes out with a namco museum game every once in awhile for a new game system it usually includes pacman ms pac, galaga, galaxian poleposition and digdug plus some new versions that usually suck. it was wrong of them to go after a kid for a 30 year old game

new topics

top topics

join