It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says

This is really odd. Ok some hackers like to boast about their accomplishments but these are mostly the cracker kids (note cracker isn't a racist insult there is simply an argued difference between cracker and hacker within the community). I can't imagine people who actually helped him would brag to Lamo, the man who turned the guy in. This would be like admitting a crime to a police officer.

Ok so maybe they admitted it but with everything going on should we really believe they would be so stupid? I'm beginning to think that Lamo has some enemies he is trying to get rid of. Or maybe they are trying to demonise the entire hacking community, or maybe it's something a lot more insidious.

The Boston Globe interviewed a recent MIT graduate who it said acknowledged Saturday that he met Manning in January and exchanged as many as 10 e-mails with him about security issues. But the individual "adamantly" denied any role in the document leak, the Globe reported. The Globe also reported that this MIT graduate, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said he was interviewed several months ago by Army investigators to find out whether he or "others in the local computer hacker community" helped Manning.

Maybe all of this entire wikileaks subject is being hijacked as an excuse to drastically reshape the internet, to show it needs controlling because of all of us dangerous hackers woooooo scary. I really am concerned that this is the end game here, internet control using the fear of evil hackers as the excuse. The intelligence services are rather good at taking advantage of a bad situation.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
For those interested it has been suggested Lamo is a stooge for the CIA/NSA. He was given a very lenient sentence considering the crimes he committed and the usual sentences for hackers.

I think this guy is nothing more than an intelligence asset.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I really am concerned that this is the end game here, internet control using the fear of evil hackers as the excuse. The intelligence services are rather good at taking advantage of a bad situation.

I think you have reason to be worried about an "end game" that might include shutting off access to the non consumerist portions of the internet. I think that has been a goal for awhile now, and, this could be their perfect excuse.

BUT........it is up to us whether or not we accept that. We do not have to roll over and take it in our nether regions every time they want to screw us. Thats on us. Not them.

IF they shut down, or begin censorship, we need to make it extremely painful for them politically to do so. We need to begin to do that anyway, to be honest, just for the other scams they have been running on us the last couple decades.

Its up to us how this plays out. We can rest assured they will do what they have always done, try to strip freedom, control information, and loot this country. That should surprise no one. It would have happened whether any of this leaked or not.

The nice thing about the leaks and other dissent is that if they panic and make a hasty grab for power, rather than their normal slow erosion technique, it alerts the less aware people that what us nuts have been gibbering on about it not just lunacy. And it offers us the chance to resist their campaign of democratic erosion.

Make sure you are doing your best to activate your social circle. Begin a word of mouth campaign as well as the internet one. That way if they try their kill switch plan, people will already know to expect it, and will not be fooled into thinking it was done "for our own good" which is, of course, what they will claim.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
LAME-O has always been a little squirrel.
he turned b---h as soon as he "got caught" the first time for his lame ass "hacks".. (editing NY times pages)

He really is a little punk.

Have you seen the documentary with him in it?
He is in a large part of it..
It is in one of my threads of any of you want to check it out.
"Previously unreleased Hacker Documentary leaked/relesed" i believe the thread is called.
it was released recently, but made a few years back.

great stuff.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

My friend i have been writing about the slow degradation of internet freedoms for a while on this forums and others. I have written to my MP, i have phoned various companies when they were invading privacy and i have abandoned companies who went along with abuses of privacy.

For example i was one of the people who phoned and wrote letters to VirginMedia and BT when they were trialing the stupid Phorm system. They are still moving ahead with it and i have written to EU representatives and UK ones to try and stop it and i have tried to raise awareness but as much as people like myself try, most people don't care.

Most people don't understand what internet freedom is, most people weren't here at the start of the modern net. Most people don't remember web pages being text only and have no idea what a BBS was. Most people also seem to have abandoned the idea of privacy, this is evidenced by facebook and other websites. Lots of people regret being so open of course.

I guess that despite being in my twenties i am very old fashioned with regard to the net, to me it was always a place of freedom and it's sad to see those freedoms being slowly stripped away while at the same time hackers are demonised as dangerous.

Ladies and gentlemen understand something. Hackers are not all dangerous. Hackers built the net, hackers created the computers you are using, hackers created the iPhone, Windows, Linux and everything inbetween.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is the docu.
it's very good!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
who knows

they are saying Lamo was part of a Vigilant website ... or something like that

new topics

top topics

join