It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to learn science from MIT? It's free, and has won an award.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gagol
Deny Ignorance, educate yourself.

MIT's OpenCourseWare, possibly the best place to go if you want to study physics in your pajamas, has been awarded the Science Prize for Online Resources in Education (SPORE) by Science magazine. [/OpenCourseWare receives close to 1.5 million pageviews a month, with traffic from educators, students, and especially independent learners.

Just noticed the name of the award, in acronym. Very interesting.

Again thank you for sharing this news, I am all about this free education thing, it is a wonderful blessing for those of us who cannot go proper at this time.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Wonderful! And other colleges offer this!

Google Search For Open College Classes!

I am starting with anthropology at MIT, and the best news is this makes college portable, it works on my smartphone or laptop!!

You beat me to it!

I've been using the courses from UC Berkeley for several years and recommending the old "Physics for Future Presidents" to anyone interested in a fun and gentle intro to physics. Pafford's series on the Romans is fascinating, too -- love anything on ancient history.

I haven't found any really fascinating courses on anthropology yet ... but I hadn't seen that one that you pointed out.

I listen to them in the car while driving.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sporkmonster

A self quote seems appropriate here: "The more I learn, the less I know."

You have no idea...

As I get towards the end of the coursework for my PhD, I'm firmly convinced I've got to be the least knowledgeable person around! And yet, today, I'm going to go teach a 2 hour review of Texas geology and paleontology to some interns... but... when I listen to "my paleontologists" (I volunteer for a museum), I feel SO dumb!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

I approve, I've been kind of on the prowel for a site just like this, I just didn't know until you posted it lol, anyways thanks imma hook you up for the hook up.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
wow. an autodidact's wet dream!

thanks a lot

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is awesome!! Thanks a ton for pointing me this direction. I always wanted to go deeper into physics (specificly magnetics) but never had the time/money to do it the traditional college way. Now that is available to me.

However the only downside for me personaly is I learn the most efficiently by asking questions which doesn't seem to be an available option.

I know already I will have tons of unanswered questions to alot of the materials available but this sure is better than nothing!

SF

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I SO didn't expect that kind of reception from you all, geez that made the front page!

Of course it is really in line with ATS motto of denying ignorance!

Godspeed to all of you!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Yale has a similar program at:
oyc.yale.edu...

"Education is good"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I have been using the MIT YouTube site for a little while and this OCW site just adds bounds to that. As well, like it was posted, I have links marked for Berkley and Stanford as well.

I love that these amazing universities have started adding this material to the web for free (or some allow donations/contributions).

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Sweet!, thanks...

did not know that this was available ...

I usually run through a course from TTC so it's nice to have an alternate..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Saved to bookmarks for my son who wants to go, lets see how serious he really is... guildwars or MIT, hummmm, S@F

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This looks like a very nice Link
I went to physics, clicked the first course "Physics I: Classical Mechanics" and a small page came up...How do you view the entire lesson? Or am I missing something here?

Never minnd - I have found out how to navigate threw the lectures and what not.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by YouCanCallMeKM]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
wow great.
I mean what else is there to say, This could start a new revolution in education.
This shold be on the front page forever.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Omg, you've just made a best friend in my boy. MIT is his goal. He's saving his allowance and money from the jobs he does for others for MIT...he's 13...how can a parent not support that?? Thanks!!

...now, for the rest of that money....lol

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Check out academicearth.org

They have free online video courses from top universities including:

Berkeley
Columbia
Gonzaga
Harvard
LSE
Maryland
Michigan
MIT
Northeastern
Norwich
NYU
Oxford
Princeton
Stanford
UCLA
UMass
UNSW
USC
Yale

[edit on 4-8-2010 by brent81]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

No, that would be considered intellectual immigration..
2nd line

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

If you go to the iTunes store they have a gateway that opens up MIT's open course, as well as tons of others from numerous other universities and institutions. If you have kids schedule them to an hour plus a day from these. Oh, yeah, the other ones I'm talking about are free too from what i remember.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Having pursued a technical education, and competed with some of the world's best Math and Science students.

One needs to realize that Most if not all MIT Freshman, with MIT heralding as the leading technical University in the World, have already taken basic Physics and Calculus in High School. As well as having proven aptitude & extremely good math skills.

That is a fundamental requirement in which to be accepted at MIT or any technical University program.

If you have never taken a Physics course I would recommend trying the 8.01L Physics which isn't as fast paced.

ocw.mit.edu...

And best of all , I did a quick search and one can locate an online version of the required text of this Physics course titled "University Physics with Modern Physics" with solutions in PDF format.

Which as I had pointed out is very helpful in working problems which is key in learning this material. Especially when you aren't able to ask questions directly.

People don't realize the importance of this knowledge and the fact that we could all learn it for free is invaluable !

For Physics explains the world around us. You will then understand everything from why your house doesn't crash down upon your head, even though it ways literally tons, to how the electricity powering your home computer works !

If more people understood Physics they'd also understand from a perspective of physics, what a sham 9/11 was for example. Terrorists or not, one cannot defy the age old proven science of physics.

Which is also as to why the Powers That Be use Education and it's costs as a fundamental divide between the rich and the poor in our society.
As many posters here on ATS have pointed out as to why they themselves haven't pursued higher education.

They want us to remain ignorant to keep us fooled in order to perpetuate their agenda of world domination.

Deny Ignorance and Learn !!

Knowledge is Power and the Truth Shall Set You Free !!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by nh_ee]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by sporkmonster

A self quote seems appropriate here: "The more I learn, the less I know."

You have no idea...

As I get towards the end of the coursework for my PhD, I'm firmly convinced I've got to be the least knowledgeable person around! And yet, today, I'm going to go teach a 2 hour review of Texas geology and paleontology to some interns... but... when I listen to "my paleontologists" (I volunteer for a museum), I feel SO dumb!

Interesting, I took a fair amount of Geology in Texas myself at a medium sized state school in North Texas, but ulitmately changed my major to Environmental Science from Geology for better job opportunities. But I have worked as a geologist before working as a professional pilot. But the geology program hasnt done so good in decades.

More math and science education in this country is sorely needed, and free online course like this are great, maybe it will spur someone to learn more about science, and find something they really like, instead of all the direcitonless students in college who are there and have no goal, just because they were told to go to college.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

I've heard of stuff like this before. There are free courses from UCLA and other universities. Their video courses are on youtube. Thanks for posting. S+F

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join