It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to learn science from MIT? It's free, and has won an award.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+94 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Deny Ignorance, educate yourself.

MIT's OpenCourseWare, possibly the best place to go if you want to study physics in your pajamas, has been awarded the Science Prize for Online Resources in Education (SPORE) by Science magazine. OpenCourseWare receives close to 1.5 million pageviews a month, with traffic from educators, students, and especially independent learners.

Source: arstechnica.com...

MIT's OpenCourseWare website: ocw.mit.edu...

Edited by Gagol to correct minor spelling error... on education thread!

[edit on 2-8-2010 by gagol]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well, that's worth an ATS star and a flag I would think.
great post Gagol

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I found out about MIT's free education a few years ago and think it's great. Everyone should take advantage of free education. The way schools dumb us down is unconscionable, but sites like this show that there are those who are open-minded and free-thinking. Do what you can to smartin' up!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Free education is one of the best things ever placed on the internet. I'm posting to bump this thread, because of the importance of education, ya know, denying ignorance.

Anyone who reads this post, do what you can to educate yourself. It is the best thing you can do for yourself in life.

Don't act like people who show the Dunning Kruger effect.

A self quote seems appropriate here: "The more I learn, the less I know."

Don't go all Dunning-Kruger effect on the quote, it might be deeper than you thought.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
S+F OP

Free knowledge = More power to the world! Great find, I need to study now lol.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This is top notch education available right at our fingertips. I hope many people find out about this and actually apply themselves. With this information available, I think many who are passionate in the subjects but do not have the time/finances to invest in a degree, will be able to get a much greater education.

I always thought that if self-education was a more accessible option, advancements would be made at a much quicker rate. Although the information is already available to find in libraries and online, it very beneficial to have the addition of video taped lectures at high ranked schools.

I actually have been thinking very deeply about transfering to MIT. For the past couple days I have been learning as much as I can about the atmosphere and so far have concluded that it is the place for me. What's weird is, I just learned about these lectures after I pretty much concluded my research on the school, a minute before I saw this thread appear on the main page. I didn't think to post it on ATS, but when I saw this thread appear on the main page it kinda threw me off lol. I guess both came across this news at around the same time.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Good Intentions]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This is totally cool. Thank you so much for posting this. I have a friend who really wants to learn physics, but hasnt the schedule or finances to take courses at university.

This will be wonderful for her.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
S&F. Very interesting.

There is cool lecture videos. If you have only books and papers it is not very fun to learn but if there is video you can watch and learn.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87b3ba9f23bb.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wow!

S&F - Great news for hungry minds.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Oh COOOOL!!!

Is this freely available to "foreigners"?

Gonna check this out later when I have more time.

S&F

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for pointing this out. When i have some more time on my hands i will definitely have to give this a good read through. I had no idea that there was valuable education from a notable academy available for free on the internet. (Quite ignorant really... i assumed people where just in it for the money in any field of work)

S+F even though its already on the front page. This is probably one of the most valuable sourced threads i have seen on ATS.

Cheers,

-TechUnique

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I have a roku - it was about 50.00 I guess - it came with wireless so I just had to set it up on my router - and there's a free channel you can get that has several universities free courseware. There's Yale, Berkely, MIT - a lot of good schools. I've been watching Architecture of the Roman Empire and Physics.

There's other stuff I like too - there's one channel called Sunimi that has a lot of content - one is gardenforks.tv which is a really cool guy who just teaches you whatever he knows - practical stuff - sometimes it might just be a recipe, beekeeping, foraging, building stuff, gardening - all are short, but I've learned several things from him.

Anyway, there's just tons of content that is free and with the roku it kinda brings it all together and you can watch on your tv. You can get Alex Jone's radio show too - there's a channel for radio. I listen to C2C on mine at night. It comes in better than my radio does.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Wow! How cool

It's a free Open University without the degree at the end.

To be honest a lot of this stuff is way over my head, but they have some Introductory courses on there. Which may help me learn the basics to some of the stuff that usually makes my head spin.

Thanks for making me aware of this site gagol S+F

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hande

That MIT physics teacher is pretty awesome. I havent checked in a few years, but i remember there being paperwork (sample equations etc) for download too. Excellent resource of information!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Knowledge is power so Deny Ignorance and learn !!

This came up on ATS over a year ago but it's great information who weren't already aware of this. And yes it is available to foreigners.

Mathematics is the language of Physics so be prepared to dust off your Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus skills.

I would recommend finding the textbook as well if you are going to take this course seriously.

Because as with learning to ride a bicycle, The only way to really learn anything is to actually do it which is in this case by actually working the problems. The text will have the important formulas highlighted and example problems in which to practice.

Go For it !

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Excellent, I have to admit, my maths is a little rusty, although as a programmer, my algebra is still pretty spot on. I've still go a couple of mates at Uni who would be able to get the text books from the Uni library for me, so I think I might give it a go.

I would love to go back to Uni again to learn more, but it's just so damned expensive these days. It cost me over £1,000 a year when I was there. I think it's more than 4 times that now and I'm currently still paying off my student loans!! It's great to see some people still believe in education being a right, not a privellege just reserved for the rich.

Hell, I'll take my education wherever I can!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
S & F for sure. I think free education should always be taken advantage of but our youth doesn't seem to think that.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wonderful! And other colleges offer this!

Google Search For Open College Classes!

I am starting with anthropology at MIT, and the best news is this makes college portable, it works on my smartphone or laptop!!

I am so excited to learn of this. My oldest son is starting college this fall, and I am so excited for him to get a four year experience, which I never did. Now I can too, for free.

My own opinion is knowledge should be free, it is shame and a heartbreak society has evolved itself into charging for knowledge.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I would vote this as the "Best Post Ever" !!
Many thanks for such interesting link. And on extense many thanks to MIT for such a graceful idea.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I agree with hotbakedtater knowledge should be free(that is even my u tube name)and it is a sad day when we have used knowledge as a revenue itself. Having taken both online and campus schools, i know for certain the info isn't much different. You might not get a degree, but if the constitution is just a G)*(D piece of paper then what do you think a degree is worth?
thanks for the post

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join