It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama confirms plan for US troop withdrawal from Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

US President Barack Obama has confirmed the end of all combat operations in Iraq by 31 August.

Some 50,000 of 65,000 US troops currently in Iraq are set to remain until the end of 2011 to advise Iraqi forces and protect US interests.

Mr Obama proclaimed that the end of operations would arrive "as promised and on schedule".

It comes amid a dispute between the US and Baghdad over the latest casualty numbers in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk...

I guess he will need troops available to invade Iran!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

I find it a little weird to proclaim the en of operations, and yet Obama is keeping 50,000 soldiers to protect US interests, how are they going to protect them if not by fighting?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Well, it takes a certain kind of person to be able to speak through his mouth, and through a certain lower orifice, at the same time. This guy is a master at it. He makes it look easy.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why so negative?

I thought many people would be happy that this war is closer to an end.

for Obama.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Or maybe they are simply honoring an agreement signed between former President Bush and the Iraqi Government back in the last year of his Presidency that now Obama has to abide by,
Why is this even news? This was reported in February of 2009.

Obama: U.S. to withdraw most Iraq troops by August 2010

updated 1:22 p.m. EST, Fri February 27, 2009
President Obama talks about his Iraq War withdrawal plan at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, on Friday. Between 35,000 to 50,000 troops will remain in Iraq, he said. They would be withdrawn gradually until all U.S. forces are out of Iraq by December 31, 2011 -- the deadline set under an agreement the Bush administration signed with the Iraqi government last year. "Let me say this as plainly as I can: By August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end," Obama said in a speech at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I don't see how this war can ever end. It's not against a country or it's peoples but against an ideology. Or at least that's what they tell us. I still think it's a corporate war to secure oil and to build pipelines.

A war without end like in "l984" soon to move to Iran.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The way its worded it doesn't seem like the war is any closer to an end. I hope I am wrong but I get this feeling that a year from now we will be looking back at this and say "Wasn't all combat supposed to end back in August?"
Please let me be wrong but my skepticism is high.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Don't get me wrong.

The war is coming to an end.

Our ability to butt in remains. I will not deny that.

Tell me what country doesn't try to look after its own self interest.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Don't get me wrong, I am glad of the announcement, in my opinion, it's like 7 years too late.
I am merely trying to understand, why keeping 50,000 soldiers there if operations are to end. It seems like rhetoric to pretend to honour a promise he made during his election.

I will remain skeptics until all troops are called home. On the other hand it is expected to have a regional conflict in the ME somewhere around November from what I read.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Or maybe they are simply honoring an agreement signed between former President Bush and the Iraqi Government back in the last year of his Presidency that now Obama has to abide by

That would make too much sense and then people would be forced to realize that Obama had little to do with the setting of the deadline. Besides, Obama is responsible for all the good things that happen while Bush is responsible for anything bad that happens during Obama's presidency. Duh!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Here is an article from 2009 where Obama said he would leave 50,000 behind.

IMO, it is not a surprise. It was part of his plan from the start. Of course, Bush had already signed the timetable in which the troops would leave by.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I see... The play has been written sometime ago. I still believe those troops will be involved in another conflict soon. Iraq will be used as an advanced base of operation. I really hope I am wrong on that issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes that's true, it was mentioned before. However, i found it presented as sort of a "fine print". You know, most people don't bother reading the fine print. We Americans, only seem to remember simple one-liners. "The War is over" or "Mission Accomplished" and so on.

THE WAR IS OVER... oh nevermind those 50,000 troops they are just chillen out.

So i guess, well, if the media isn't reporting on the ground anymore, or anything out of Iraq, then it's as good as over for them. And for the populace for the most part.

Although I'm sure they will print little stories buried in the back of sites and papers, about how 10 were killed one day, 5 the next, maybe 20 on another.

So the War is over. The occupation... may just be forever. Let's see how long THAT goes, i'm betting they will need to be there indefinitely. I'd put my money on at least another 10 years.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by elcapitano75]

top topics

join