It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Defamers Defame Muslims: Is the ADL Right or Being Hypocritical?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
"Anti-Defamers Defame Muslims"...that's the headline of the latest article by Justin Raimondo, here.

Catchy headline, and not a bit disingenuous, because everyone knows that the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) stands for this...

"The Anti-Defamation League was founded in 1913 "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all." Now the nation's premier civil rights/human relations agency, ADL fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and protects civil rights for all."

There it is. For all. They say so right here. in black and white.

And, as Justin points out in his article, in another place on the ADL website:

“We regard freedom of religion as a cornerstone of the American democracy, and that freedom must include the right of all Americans – Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and other faiths – to build community centers and houses of worship.”

Now that we have that out of the way, read Justin's article, and lets talk about how they are ensuring fair treatment to all as it relates to Muslims, most particularly in regard to the Islamic community center in lower Manhattan. Here is their statement:

We regard freedom of religion as a cornerstone of the American democracy, and that freedom must include the right of all Americans – Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and other faiths – to build community centers and houses of worship.

We categorically reject appeals to bigotry on the basis of religion, and condemn those whose opposition to this proposed Islamic Center is a manifestation of such bigotry.

The controversy which has emerged regarding the building of an Islamic Center at this location is counterproductive to the healing process. Therefore, under these unique circumstances, we believe the City of New York would be better served if an alternative location could be found.

How would they have reacted if, as Justin asks, "What if, in the wake of the 1967 bombing of the USS Liberty by Israeli warplanes – in which 34 US servicemen were slaughtered – a campaign had been mounted to banish all synagogues from a two-mile radius of Arlington National Cemetery?"

Here's what Paul Krugman, New York Times economics columnist and Nobel Laureate, had to say here:

"Translation: some people will feel bad if this thing is built, and we need to take these feelings into account, even though proponents “have every right to build at this site.”

So let’s try some comparable cases, OK? It causes some people pain to see Jews operating small businesses in non-Jewish neighborhoods; it causes some people pain to see Jews writing for national publications (as I learn from my mailbox most weeks); it causes some people pain to see Jews on the Supreme Court. So would ADL agree that we should ban Jews from these activities, so as to spare these people pain? No? What’s the difference?

One thing I thought Jews were supposed to understand is that they need to be advocates of universal rights, not just rights for their particular group — because it’s the right thing to do, but also because, ahem, there aren’t enough of us. We can’t afford to live in a tribal world.

But ADL has apparently forgotten all that. Shameful — and stupid.

The defamation of Muslims is not an easy subject to discuss. People's emotions are high. People have opinions. And, apparently, as appears to be the case with the ADL, sometimes it's hard to remain true to even a century's worth of convictions.

Joe Klein, Time Magazine, says that the ADL has gone "from beacon of tolerance to slightly potty geyser of toxic foolishness."

CAIR, has asked the ADL to retract (here). We'll see what the response is and what happens.

Do you think the ADL remaining true to their mission? That's the topic here.

Some information about "Ground Zero Mosque" or as I prefer to call it the Islamic community center in lower Manhattan...you may not have seen. Just How Far Is the "Ground Zero Mosque" From Ground Zero? (With Pics!)

Why is Fox pushing a falsehood to fuel outrage over NYC Muslim community center?

[edit on 8/2/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ah...the plot thickens and the spin begins. It's going viral...weeeee.
The issue that won't die...some people are being as tenacious as puppy's with their chew toys.

I guess this latest round is in response to the community directly effected here voting to not landmark the building and therefore not block the Islamic community center from being built in THEIR neighborhood, eh?

Here's the news and opinion...

“Civil Rights” Group ADL Backs Bigots & Islamophobes Against Cordoba House “Ground Zero Mosque”

New York Mosque Controversy Fires Up National Campaign.

No Holds Barred: Mosque malaise

ADL Opposes Building of “Ground Zero Mosque”.

ADL and NYC Islamic Center: What about the Pentagon?

The NYT now predicts the news on the front page?

Other headlines already popping up about this story...

o Anti-racist ADL ‘joins bigots’ in opposing Ground Zero mosque
o Why ADL Is Opposing Ground Zero Mosque
o ADL Back Bigots on Ground Zero Mosque
o Jewish group opposes ground zero mosque

Fox is on it! "Just 'steps' from Ground Zero..."

Democracy Now (Please note that the title on the YouTube video is not mine and would not be one I would choose to encourage civil open discussion and dialog.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, in a perfect world we wouldn't have these problems,

an interfaith center would have been nice.

How close is the nearest synagogue?

I have to think about this one I do have an opinion,

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm still thinking about it myself. I'm leaning toward they've lost any credibility they had left with me.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The ADL and Abe Foxman have no credibility left. They've gone from an honest anti-hate organization like the SPLC, and turned into just another branch of AIPAC.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Ah, yes AIPAC...our fifth branch of government. Those two have always pretty much gone hand in hand, haven't they? This whole thing is nothing but neoconservative Islamophobia. I'm shocked how many people are playing right into their hands.

Dancing Israelis...dancing Muslims...the battle goes on and on. How would Israel feel if Lebanon stopped the building of synagogues after the atrocities of 2006? Both the ADL and Israel would be screaming bloody murder.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am trying to find the words, I do think people should take into consideration the feelings of others .

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You know, I lived in that area of Manhattan. I know how it is. I'd bet you the majority of the people in the community have no real issues. I've seen the polls and sense they're probably not representative. I;ve talked to friends and family who still live there, a few who lost friends and loved one on that day or as a result of that day. They lived through 9/11. It's up to them. And it just doesn't seem like all that big a deal to them.

They've also lived with a very active mosque in the neighborhood for over 40 years now, which if I recall correctly is moving to the Islamic center. The leader of this mosque is a popular figure in the community in general. If I stlll lived there I'd be feeling very used, like people were co-opting the tragedy still further and using it for their own agendas. But that's just me.

As for the ADL, they don't speak for everyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
And yet, amidst all this, they still found time to tell Oliver Stone he is not allowed to discuss Jewish control over the media.

ADL accuses Oliver Stone of making anti-Semitic remarks

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well Like I told intrepid it can be looked at by some as pouring salt on a wound.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I think the wound was torn open MUCH further by those makiing a big deal of the Islamic center than the Islamic center ever would have. They're making us look like intolerant, fearful idiots, bigoted but that's just me.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

I think the wound was torn open MUCH further by those makiing a big deal of the Islamic center than the Islamic center ever would have. They're making us look like intolerant, fearful idiots, bigoted but that's just me.

I'm just telling you that's how some people feel.

If it had been built anywhere else but that spot, I doubt it would have been an issue.

I don't think it would be asking to much to be sensitive to the feelings of others.

Intolerance and bigotry is world wide.

[edit on 053131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

What spot? You can't even see Ground Zero from that "spot." They're not building the center on the site where the towers stood. They building it on the site of an old Burlington Coat Factory building.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I understand that, but people still view it as thumbing their nose at them.

Do you know why they choose the name Cordoba House?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
ADL is garbage. They basically said the muslims have a "right" to build there, and it's good they're trying to use the mosque to send a positive message. And, they said it's wrong that some bigots think 9/11=islam, but then the bigots should get what they want anyway. ADL's got some real geniuses working there.

Also, the muslim community had a prayer area for Friday prayers in the WTC itself before it came down (and some Muslims were victims of the attack), so why can't the local Muslim community have a prayer area now? And remember, it's not even a mosque, it's a muslim version of YMCA with prayer area included, and it's not even at ground zero.

"If it had been built anywhere else but that spot, I doubt it would have been an issue."

That's not true. There's a lot of anti-mosque sentiment throughout the US. There's protest against a mosque in Murfeesboro, Tennessee and also against one at Temecula, California.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Besides, all of this "controversy" around it seems like it's just a few bigots running their loud mouths, while the actual New Yorkers living there don't really care what the Muslims do (live and let live). This mosque isn't even going to affect anyone except the people who actually use it.

Jon Stewart sums it all up best:

www.thedailyshow.com...

[edit on 2-8-2010 by muftanan]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I understand that, but people still view it as thumbing their nose at them.

Well # those people.

Yeah, I said that. # them.

They can't use reason and instead rely on emotions and talking heads on TV to decide on things.

If someone has a problem with this, it means they believe Islam was responsible from 9/11. It's that simple. No if ands or buts.

These people are simply bigots and idiots who really need to sit the hell down and shut the hell up because their opinions are irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

If someone has a problem with this, it means they believe Islam was responsible from 9/11. It's that simple.

Yes, a lot of people believe that.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Cordoba was a great cultural, political, financial and economic center in Spain in the 11th and 12th centuries. The mosque built there dates back to this time. Some connected to the project say they mean to get back to the way Muslims, Christians and Jews lived together in relative peace.

We managed to make peace with Germany and Japan mere years after WWII, but we have to go back to the 12th century to demonize a religion today?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

If someone has a problem with this, it means they believe Islam was responsible from 9/11. It's that simple.

Yes, a lot of people believe that.

Thus I said their opinion is irrelevant because their opinion is stupid.

Is a fairly simple filtration method of determining what is and is not relevant.

There is little reasoning behind their opinion, it's fueled by stupidity and propaganda.

Why should anything stupid even be considered relevant? Why give them the time of day?

It's just another example of the two handed puppet game called left and right, with the right currently playing the "We love freedom. And by freedom, we mean what we like and nothing else" thing.

For those who apparently love the constitution, they apparently don't understand that "freedom of religion" thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

As I see it the muslims are victims in this too by extension. So when someone publicly stakes claim for this horrible tragedy regardless if it's true or not, they're on the naughty list by the families who lost their loved ones.

It's sad all the way around so why don't you use a little reasoning too?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join