It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Hip Hop in THE USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Hello all,

Was in the van this morning on the way to work listening to a bit of my favourite UK Hip Hop and Grime, and the thought struck me 'has this sort of stuff made it across the pond?'

Just like Hip Hop artists from the US such as; Snoop, Jay Z, Kanye, Soulja boytellem, Nas, Mobb Deep, Busta Rhymes etc . have made it to the UK- does anyone in the US listen to the likes of ; Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder, Dizzee Rascal, Smiler, Wiley, Skepta, Professor Green etc?

Or for a wider scale of responses, does anyone listen to UK hip hop at all in the States and if so what artists?

Cheers guys

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
UK hip hop? I don't believe any British hip hop group has ever become popular in the U.S. Pretty much everyone is of American origin. Unless you count Justin Beaver.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Here in oz we get Dizzee Rascal and that new Proffessor Green song, but other than that not much else reaches our main stream air waves, but being a fan of hip hop these are some of my fav UK acts.

Phi Life Cypher
Braintax
Jehst
Roots Manuva
Motley (okay)

Have you heard of Bliss n Eso?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Ive been a huge fan of UK hip hop since Derick B and Thrashpack and that was back in 87??. As far as im concerened, the UK are the only real heads that are holding it down right now. My favorite MC is Pro Green.

My UK Hip Hop list

Pro Green

The Streets

Kano

Audio Bullys

Shiesty

Lady Sov

Virus Syndicate (damn good group, illest group since the beastie boys)

Mark 1

I just turned my wife on to "Goldie Lookin Chain" she thinks " Your mothers got a Penis" is the greatest song ever.

Oh by the way, Slick Rick is Brittish

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Frankenchrist]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Brittish, ...... rap ??

I don't know if the accent really works, ... for rap anyway.

.. but no, I don't know of any.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

Dizzee's done well and I think Skinnyman did some shows with Nas way back. Roots Manuva has had some support too.

Sad thing is, UK hiphop hasn't done that well in the UK. Success in the US is the dream and isn't likely to happen. Till a couple of years back, mixtapes were knocking about on forums and helped to spread the word. They're hard to come by now.

In the US, they'll only know UK sounds through Westwood or listening to 1Xtra. They've got such a big scene there that UK hiphop/grime/MCs aren't on the radar.

new topics

top topics

join