It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let Them Eat Cake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I just hope the republican conservatives will finally understand that worrying about the taxes of the rich will get us nowhere.

This ex-Reaganite, the well known Paul Craig Roberts now understands the bankrupt morality of the rich in America and how that corruption is destroying America.

July 31, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

By Paul Craig Roberts

It is not unusual for members of the diminishing upper middle class to drop $20,000 or $30,000 on a big wedding. But for celebrities this large sum wouldn’t cover the wedding dress or the flowers.

When country music star Keith Urban married actress Nicole Kidman in 2006, their wedding cost $250,000. This large sum hardly counts as a celebrity wedding. When mega-millionaire real estate mogul Donald Trump married model Melania Knauss, the wedding bill was $1,000,000.

The marriages of Madonna and film director Guy Ritchie, Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren, and Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones pushed up the cost of celebrity marriages to $1.5 million.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes upped the ante to $2,000,000.

Link

And the American sheeple remain acquiescent.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by inforeal]

Edited to add "EX" tags and link to article

[edit on 2-8-2010 by inforeal]

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/2/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
it was nice that the groom's father got out of prison for the ceremony.
a long way from poor ol lil rock arkysaw , aint they?
got their pockets stuff full of loot..
the nwo overlords are smiling down on this merger.
way back when they groomed him at oxford..
it's austerity for the peasants tsk tsk..
serf city here we come.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm sure all that you are saying is true, and it's unfair. But, such is life. And if I might add, OMG, Chelsae's dress was absolutely beautiful. I kind of think it's a nice change from all the doom and gloom on the news, but hey, just my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They will remain sheeple until there familes start to starve in large numbers.

Then theres only one course of action for people with guns that are hungry it will be taken by force, forget the police state or the constitution that stuff means nothing when you let a mans family starve. He will happily kill any and all around him to feed them. I know this because if my family was starving I would do anything in my power to see to there needs.

Until America has millions of starving people nothing will change for the better, your constitution is basically toilet paper to the elite, your rights and freedooms only exsist when they say they can.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It would take a person making minimum wage ($7.25 an hr X 40 hrs a week X 52 weeks - taxes) 250 years to pay for Chelsea's wedding.

The gap between the haves and have nots in similar to the gap between the Earth and Alpha Centari. And just like our universe, it's expanding at a phenomenal rate.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
It would take a person making minimum wage ($7.25 an hr X 40 hrs a week X 52 weeks - taxes) 250 years to pay for Chelsea's wedding.

The gap between the haves and have nots in similar to the gap between the Earth and Alpha Centari. And just like our universe, it's expanding at a phenomenal rate.
Thank you for that post!

It puts things into perspective, eh?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Great metaphor it just highlights the fact that the elite care nothing for us slaves. Everytime I think of the hundreds of millions and billions these people waste then they come after you for petty money.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Did anyone stop to think where that money went? To goods and services for the wedding. Florists, caterers, wedding planners, tailors, valets, waiters, etc. Many people were employed to create the wedding and provide services during the event.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by calmbutwary
Did anyone stop to think where that money went? To goods and services for the wedding. Florists, caterers, wedding planners, tailors, valets, waiters, etc. Many people were employed to create the wedding and provide services during the event.
That is true.
How many times did I hear about big business treating their executives doing the same type of spending on frivolous things? Many times. Then it is called corporate excess, but they are using money from the private sector.

How many jobs have Bill or Hillary Clinton held in the private sector?

If you count her employer during the Whitewater years, I believe that it would be one. I am willing to listen if either one has done any other private sector work. But I believe the Rose law-firm job was a cover for other ways of making money (read commodities futures investments).

So whose money paid for Chelsea's wedding bash?

[edit on 2-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Let them eat cake, is that on an article?
Now here is the irony of saying let them eat cake.
Although I myself am not a historian by no stretch of my mind, no matter how hard i wish i were.
I have days worth more knowledge of history, alot more than most of the people i know.
Now for the irony part, if a person does'nt know what "Let them eat cake" truly means, they will not get mad.
I assume by saying lrt them eat cake, you would be looking to enfuriate someone or a group of people.
I say that most people do not understand the significance of the words.
But that is our modern education system.
Mission failed.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

We all know the Clinton's are as corrupt as they come. A lot of their money may be tainted, but I'm glad many people were able to profit while providing goods and services to their event. If they are willing to pay it, someone is willing to take it!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Well, if you've got it, spend it.

I have no bad feelings about this girl getting a wedding of a lifetime.

In five years, when she is on her second husband, I'm sure it will be scaled back quite a bit, to say $10,000?

It's a ridiculous amount of money to be spent on something that has a 50% failure rate!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
this is a funny thread- it should be linked with the current 'should we have compassion for psychopaths?' because anyone who would spend as much as a $qm on a wedding doesn't care about society's well-being to the same degree as a convicted psychopath. even if the money is being distributed.....why not free 10,000 chinese child-slaves from their agricultural labors? the reason: hollywood and washington are not so far apart........

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Great article. S&F. I also feel some of you don't get the point of this article. The wedding is a sort of metaphor for the ever widening gap between those that have and those that have not, and who exactly is eitherr responsible or at the very least, allowing this to happen. Politicians.

And besides NOBODY, especially the daughter of PUBLIC SERVANTS needs a 5,000,000 dollar wedding!

And yes, where did they get the money as well?

This is wrong on so many levels....

Wake up people. Stop letting them pillage our lives leaving us in a hole while they live like kings on our backs while producing nothing useful!

top topics

join