It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the ATS Staff - An ATS Magazine??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
To the ATS Staff,

I just had a thought and wondered if the ATS Staff had any views on it... And for that matter our valued members.

I was just having a discussion over on this thread.

Is your home network secure, or open to hacker?

I basically suggested jokingly the only way to be 100% sure of not being hacked is to go offline... to which came the reply "but what about ATS..."

Now here is the idea...

What about an Above Top Secret monthly Magazine?? Filled with interesting articles and competitions and members threads of interest etc.

I live in the UK and we have the fortean time, Focus, Newscientist etc but each concentrates on their own niche.... I think an ATS magazine would sell like hot cakes here!! The content would appeal to all the audiences of the aforementioned mags.

I know I would subscribe and you could open the board to a whole new audience that perhaps has never visited ATS before, not to mention create a revinue stream.

What are your thoughts on this?? Has it been considered before??

Peace out,

Korg.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Sounds like a good idea to me.I am on my computer
so much,I have almost forgotten how to read a book.
There would be some problems...
1.Cost for publishing,distributing,what fees to charge.
2.Mailing list could be hacked on someones laptop.
3.Loss of interaction between members.
I like the idea of the comic book more than a magazine.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Sounds like a good idea to me.I am on my computer
so much,I have almost forgotten how to read a book.
There would be some problems...
1.Cost for publishing,distributing,what fees to charge.
2.Mailing list could be hacked on someones laptop.
3.Loss of interaction between members.
I like the idea of the comic book more than a magazine.

I think the big one is your point one. But surely you have to speculate to accumulate.. I'm sure ATS has enough business savvy in the staff to raise the initial test run.

I'm not sure what you mean by point 2. Most magazines these days are published through large publishers whom manage subscriptions. ATS would only need to produce the content ready for print and publishing.

point three, I meant this not as a replacement for ATS online, more as an addition to, to enhance the ATS experience.

I also think I would be mega proud if my thread was a thread of interest and published. But the threads aspect I think would take a backseat and it would be more subject lead. Although the whole concept of The Above Network is user generated content, there is actually loads of ATS generated content too, that often gets overlooked.

I know we have ATS mobile for the moments you're not at your pc, but a nice glossy mag is an entirely different experience.

I think it would be a profitable venture and may add some valuable members that perhaps we would not ever be able to reach if not for an off line medium.

Do you follow?

Korg.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It has been considered before...

Link

The above is just one thread found through a search...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"Print is dead"
~Egon Spengler

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
To quote Egon Spengler: Print is dead.
Does anybody really still buy magazines? It can't be only germany were all magazines rapidly lose in sells and die a slow death.
We don't live in the dark ages anymore, but in the 21st century and basically everywhere you go, you have access to the Internet, be it through your Laptop, mobile phone or whatever.

It's mostly the older generation that still buys printed paper because "that's what we did all the time" and what good would be a ATS magazine? No discussion about the topics, outdated reports. The good thing with a message board is that it is active, stuff gets debunked, other informations come up and we users interact with each other. With print you get old news on boring paper and you would have to pay for it. Since the ATS Message Board is so big, i guess 95% of all users would say "Why pay, when you can get it for free".
That's one of the reasons, why the once biggest gaming magazine in Germany (Gamestar) is nearly dead now. They started putting the articles on their website and bang....they sell less every month, from once over 350.000 they are now down to about 105.000 sells. It would be the same with a ATS magazine, which i guess would only be bought by the die-hard fans of this site.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think it would be cool if ATS did both an online and off line magazine.. Be the 60 Minutes of the internet.

They could interview Julian Assange.

60 Minutes does a great job but I think ATS would be harder hitting. ATS could ask the types of questions 60 is afraid to ask.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well, not all print is dead ...

- National Geographic magazine's total monthly circulation is around 8.5 million copies. International circulation is more than 3 million monthly, of which more than 2.1 million copies are in languages other than English. *

Which begs the question ... shouldn't we have articles of photojournalists following ATS members around and documenting them in the wild and natural habitats?

Oh what an article that would make!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

ATS members in their natural habitat? I smell
bribery in the air.I know that I wouldn't be able
to bake enough cookies to bribe the staff with.
I would have to plead and beg them for the negatives.
I just remembered,I am not that interesting...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I pretty much agree with everything ShadowAngel85 said. I enjoy the forum atmosphere and wouldn't be interested.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
it would be great if it was a virtual magazine on PDF so it could be disseminated faster

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
it would be great if it was a virtual magazine on PDF so it could be disseminated faster

Ipad experience anyone??

Originally posted by MemoryShock
It has been considered before...

Link

The above is just one thread found through a search...

Geeze that was back in 2005!! What has happened to the world in 5 years!!

I am dismayed that there appears to be work done on the project then nothing??

What happened to the plan guys and gals?

Korg.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think the appeal of ATS is community participation and communicating with people all over the world. Live interactions with each other.

Cant do that with a magazine.

You can on a forum. You can on ATSLive! Radio show.

I do not think a magazine would provide anything better or more than ATS already provides here on the ATS site and ATSLive Show. Both means already highlight top threads by members and contests and much more.

Print does not seem to be what most people want. Even newspapers are going solely online.

Another thought is that the content we discuss here on ATS is ever evolving. It is not stagnet. Print causes something to be a bit stagnet. You cant respond to print. You can not debate print. You can only read what is there at that time. Many topics/stories can drastically change from one minute to the next. You can not follow that evolution in a magazine. By the time a story is updated and printed - even more could have evolved on a given topic - making that story/topic incomplete, out of date, etc.

I just do not think a magazine fits what ATS is and what we are all doing here.

Just my lil' ol' opinion.

SO says it best... Digital is where it is at. Live is where it is at. Print is the past......

Make sure you tune into ATSLive on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It provides much more than a magazine could

[edit on August 3rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I will buy stock in that one
I could see that a good seller

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i doubt that a magazine would stop people from coming online to discuss the topics in greater detail, it would probably have the opposite effect making membership soar to even new levels. a magazine would open the topics shared here to a much wider audience, and would also provide income to make the site even better. i think this is a great idea and should be considered by the staff.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
i doubt that a magazine would stop people from coming online to discuss the topics in greater detail, it would probably have the opposite effect making membership soar to even new levels. a magazine would open the topics shared here to a much wider audience, and would also provide income to make the site even better. i think this is a great idea and should be considered by the staff.

I'm glad someone got my point of view.

I can't believe people can be so short-sighted as to not see that any offline content would enhance the board not actually replace the content that you find here..

People really are obsessive; i mean I would buy ATS laptop Decals if I had the chance. Was even thinking of having ATS tattooed on my tojer lol
So there are plenty of members here that would buy it, so there is your base to expand upon. A lot of publications don’t have that luxury and have to make it with zero client base.

Seriously though, I can think of so many great ideas for the content of an ATS magazine, I genuinely feel that it would bring more members to the board.

Maybe its the fear that a sudden monsoon of new members would cause the ATS servers to shudder??

Korg.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Check the Gear link.

Magazines everywhere are hurting. Cost to publish, distribution, etc. all make a new magazine launch an extremely high-risk venture. We used to have a "Book of Threads" link that had PDF and online versions of the top 75 threads each month, formatted like a magazine, suitable for downloading and binding or offsite storage in your personal files. It looked great, seemed like an excellent idea, and sort of withered away mainly because it wasn't getting a lot of use. Example. Main Link.

Hard copy sounds good on paper (groan), but it isn't a financially viable alternative at this point. I'm sure not speaking for the Top, but I'm feeling confident about considering the likelihood of a magazine to be remote, at best.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Check the Gear link.

Example. Main Link.

Hard copy sounds good on paper (groan), but it isn't a financially viable alternative at this point. I'm sure not speaking for the Top, but I'm feeling confident about considering the likelihood of a magazine to be remote, at best.

Thank you for the links... I want that Sweatshirt!!! Will have to save though just bought a house and the bank is screaming at me lol...

All the best,

Korg.

top topics

join