It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Small Act of Kindness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Rachel hurried down the sidewalk, towards her apartment off 95th Street. The sky was overcast, the wind as brisk as her feet, and she had only one thing on her mind, Joey.

Her son had not called after school, to let her know he was home from school. She knew he was 15, and capable of caring for himself, but it was the city, and life was cheap here. The four block walk from the bus stop to the front door of the empty apartment was the part of his day she always dreaded.

But more so since Joey turned 15.

On a lark, Rachel and some girlfriends went to a medium when they were teens, and while her friends got typical readings, Rachel's reading made them all regret the spontaneous decision.

The medium had told Rachel her first child would die when the child turned 15.

For years Rachel buried the creepy message, but then, after trying for years to conceive, and divorcing over her failure to be fertile, a one night stand of grief enduced sex resulted in Joey, her pride and joy. And the mediums message came back to haunt her.

Her pride and joy who did not call her today!

He had forgotten a few other times, lost phone, phone not charged, out of service area, so she really was not THAT worried, more upset he was disrespecting her. Overall, a good boy, Rachel had reminded him there were still pay phones in the city, and he would laugh and say yeah but most of them take credit cards now, Ma!!

Busy ruffling through her purse, for her cell, to try his number again, she bumped into a kid, knocking him to the ground. In the process, her purse slipped off her shoulder, and splattered the items into the sidewalk.

"Are you OK?" Rachel inquired, the kid was about the same age as her son.

"Uh sure, sorry my bad." He began helping gather her spilled items, and as quick as he had fell, he vanished down the street into the crowd.

The Last thing he handed her was her cell.

What a small act of kindness, she thought, here she was the one who bumped into him groping for a cell phone and this teen instead of robbing her, or cussing her, helped her pick up her things.

All hope is NOT lost for the future, she mused.

She noticed she was about two blocks from home, and that was when she realized her cell phone was wet, or sticky. Was it raining?

Looking closer, she realized it was red, smeared blood, and that the phone was ringing.

It was Joey.

"Ma, hurry, someone was in the apartment when I got here and they took off down the street your way!! I got em ma I got em good with my fists, but they got me too. I already called the police...."

Then the signal dropped.

Horrified, Rachel began to run, and when she got to the steps of the apartment, there lay her son, and a crowd of paramedics and police surrounding him.

Screaming she fought her way through, only to see her sons smiling face saying,

"Don't worry, all that karate you had me do saved my life, ma."

It wasn't until the lights dimmed at the hospital late that evening that she thought about her cell phone again, and the kid whom she was too preoccupied to see had blood on him somewhere. She realized he fell because he had been running....into her.....away from something.....yet he helped her pick up her stuff....he was someone's son too....

As Rachel fell asleep in the chair beside her son's bed, all she could think of.....

...was that small act kindness..........

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Critics, start your engines!!!

And thanks to all who stop in and read my story.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I loved it.

On top of the ironic twist of the story, it got me thinking about the mother's underlying anxiety. Joey escaped death this time but he's still fifteen years old. So, her living free of the fear induced by that prediction would depend on her particular outlook: does she believe that fate can be cheated or is it inexorable and Joey's death at fifteen is still on the cards?
Very interesting.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Thanks for reading!

The mom is obviously preoccupied with the safety of her son, at what point do you let go and trust he can take care of himself? Are prophesies self fulfilling or can fate be altered? Does our preoccupation prevent us from seeing what smacks into us each day?

Glad you enjoyed it.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I would be lying if i said i did not get goosebumps when she realized her phone was bloody.

Good Job and thanks for sharing.

~meathead

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What a nice little story.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by angusthecactus

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Reading this story made me think of the song All I Wanna Do Is make Love To You by Heart. Also made me think of the movie The Thorn Birds. Remember when Dane died??? Forbidden love sometimes has a way of ending tragically. I'm giving you a star because her son survived.

Because of that bloody cellphone... I'm sitting here thinking of all that DNA the police have to work with. Makes hunting criminals down SO much easier.

edit on 9/10/10 by FlourGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlourGirl

I have never watched the Thorn Birds, can you believe that?

Thank you for taking the time to read the story, flourgirl.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by FlourGirl

I have never watched the Thorn Birds, can you believe that?

Thank you for taking the time to read the story, flourgirl.

You are entirely welcome.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thanks once again.

You certainly know how to spin a good yarn.
I had no idea what was going to happen next, and the events during the story had me intrigued to the end, and pleasantly surprised too.

Nice one.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
Thanks once again.

I had no idea what was going to happen next, and the events during the story had me intrigued to the end, and pleasantly surprised too.

Nice one.
Thank you for reading!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
Thanks once again.

Nice one.
Thank you for reading!

new topics

top topics

join