It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad challenges Obama to TV debate on solving world's problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I just couldn't remember. Sounded feasible. Thanks for the memory jog.

It's funny, isn't it, that world "leaders" would ever not be willing to talk to each other, no matter what their differences. Seems to me as if that's why we put them there...to be open to discussion.

I think the odds are better of Ahmadinejad getting a debate/open forum discussion with Obama than with Bush because it seems to me (again...gut feel) Obama is not AS pro-Israel (he has to show support, but I don't think it a priority for him at all, or a leaning....it's a mess he inherited) or as opposed to diplomacy and dialog as some presidents in the past.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Only a greedy idiot would turn down this proposal. Oh wait . . . Never mind.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Will Obama still be able to use the intelligent teleprompter he uses. No teleprompters allowed that would show who really knows what their talking about.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ahmadinejad has challenged Bush to a debate at UN a couple of times in 2006. Of course, it never happened.

Obama being generally viewed as a brilliant speaker and a man of goodwill, it will be very awkward when he refuses.
It's summer holidays in the West so sadly who will even care ?

I think Obama is very pro-Israel, Lucidity, considering how close he is to pro-Israel circles.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I find that a debate is geared more towards strategic arguing. Do we as Humans really need to argue about solving global problems? Why can't two intelligent men just sit down and collectively offer ideas? Maybe one day every person will be able to love and respect our planet and all it's inhabitants.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Obama won't do it! How do you teleprompter a debate???

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
This thread, and the vast majority of the add-on posts to it, are just additional testament to the pitiful state of this site. ATS has become (or maybe always has been) an anti-American, anti-West flame fest.

Not anti-American, anti-West by any means. Very much anti-US/Western imperialism. Will be extremely pro-US/Western as soon as these governments quit their cruel, sadistic abuse of the 3rd world and their own people.

And the nearly universal take on this (here) is that Obama won't debate him because America would thus be exposed to be (take your pick) evil, wrong, imperialistic, war mongering, genocidal...whatever.

Why pick one when all of the above apply?

How about the possibility that the President of the United States would not take up the challenge because Ahmadinejad is the leader of an oppressive, repressive, terrorist-supporting, holocaust-denying, anti-feminist, anti-gay, anti-democracy, anti-freedom-of-speech regime...

Yeah. What would they have in common to discuss?

...that has not earned the right to share a stage with the leader of the free world (sic)?

So exactly how many countries do you have to wage war with including the funding of covert insurgent/terrorist groups to share the stage with an American President? Ahmadinejad better get cracking because he's way behind Obama who's only been in office a year and some.

Now...I am no fan of Obama. I think he is taking America in the wrong direction - including pandering to the very same (extremist) Islamic elements that would love nothing more than to see America go down in flames, literally.

No doubt you're referring to the same Islamic elements that we were quite happily doing business with despite their terrible human rights abuses as long as they were giving us what we wanted.

Whether you agree with it or not. Whether you think the West's arguments hold water or not. Iran will toe the line - and soon - or we will all be discussing the former Islamic Republic of Iran in future ATS debates.

Now that I agree with. There's always the possibility that the American people will grow a pair and turn out our fascist leaders but I'm not holding my breath. Still, I can dream!

Get real people.

Yes! Get REAL people voted into office, not these servants of the business elite.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

He has to show support. There's a lot of pressure to do. However, and again this is gut feel from watching his face and knowing who backs (some would say controls) him stand for, I do not believe he is aligned with the Zionist faction.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

You know what .. i really though HE be the president of the USA that americans diserve...

And so…What makes you think he isn’t?
Maybe just maybe this president will be the kick in the pants the US needs to wake up and start thinking for ourselves rather than rooting for American Idols.
I did notice in your OP the Haaretz article says DEBATE and the CNN says televised talks.
Why does the MSM story differ from the Haaretz?
MSM spin possibly?

reply to post by operation mindcrime

If you arm yourself with the truth then where does the fear come from?
Barry did promise more transparency.
Look you and I both know this debate will not happen and we both know why too.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
No way in hell would Obama agree to this. He would be exposed for what he is very quickly.

Iran plays politics very well, far better than the western world. Ahmadinejad would tear him to pieces with questions Obama could never give a satisfactory answer.

Ahmadinejad has spoken in the US, why hasn't Obama or Bush spoken over there?

Those who speak the truth welcome questions.

Those with extensive cultural training in using peaceful sounding lovely words that actually mean something completely different to them than they do to your ear, are practiced and accomplished liars.

Ones who can literally threaten everyone who lives in the Western world in a UN speech and push to bring Islam to every other person on the planet one way or the other, while you clap about it as enlightened.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Wow. What a convenient way to explain all this away. Their words lie.

How many times in the last oh three centuries or so has Iran waged and offensive or preemptive war on anyone?

[edit on 8/2/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The Islamic Republic of Iran has only existed since 1979.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Wow Im not sure if this is a political stunt to make the USA look bad (because we know Obama wont accept) or is he true and sincere when he says this. I hope its the latter of the two. Hats off to amadijajajajajaja

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It's definately odd to say the least...aside from the occassional "meet and greet" photo ops that are displayed in the mainstream media outlets, there really isn't a whole lot of public discussions going on between the world leaders.

As far as my opinion on Obama and his stance on Isreal v/s that of GWB.... Well, to be honest, I think they are all a bunch of crooks and liars. Just my opinion and I'm quite aware of what it's worth.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

okay. Play word games. Say question for Persia/Iran.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo
Wow!

"This should be on Pay Per View
"

Yeah, right after wrestling

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well this "invitation" should shine a spot light on Mr Obama. If he does not support and accept such a necessary debate than he should return his Nobel Peace Price IMMEDIATELY.

Have you EVER heard of a Nobel Peace Price winner who would reject a peaceful and open debate? Mr Obama would be the first one. And this would clearly show that he has never, does not and will never deserve this price!!!!

I do not like what happens to people in Iran at all. This is also no free country. But even more so I cannot tolerate a US leader who is such an self-pleasing a... like Mr Obama. Sorry.

CHANGE!!!! Change? Not with Mr A... err, O...!!!

Edit to add: I wonder... is there such a thing as a Nobel WAR Price?! He should get it and return the other price for it!

[edit on 2-8-2010 by mrMasterJoe]

[edit on 2-8-2010 by mrMasterJoe]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It would look VERY hypocritical to the entire World, if the Country that "promotes" peace is not willing to engage in peaceful conversation, to achieve it.

I think Oh-Bomb-Bomb (Obama) is getting PWNED.

To my American Government: "It's your move Dummy!"

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Awesome. You can imagine the Whitehouse now 'Yep all war plans in place sir... erm what? He wants to TALK about it? Sh*t we didn't prepare for that one'

Well done Iran, you might just shame enough Americans into understanding that a war ISN'T needed.

Check.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
First off...The Whitehouse has been engaged in more outreach and dialouge with Iran than any administration in the past 30 years combined.

Secondly Ahmadinejad is loony tunes. he is just looking for high profile exposure to spout BS. No US President should ever afford him this kind of PR.

If he wants to talk...he can pick up the phone.

Here is a great interview with John Limbert, one of the 53 hostages in Iran, he spent 400+ days in captivity there and came home in 81.

He came out of retirement to serve as the Obama administrations point man on Iran.

He recounts a conversation that a colleague had with an Iranian official, who said, "Look, if we Iranians cannot get along with a Barack Hussein Obama, who speaks to us of mutual respect, who sends us greetings on Persian New Year, then it's clear the problem is not in Washington, that we have a problem," he says.

www.npr.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join