It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billington opens new DMCA loopholes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Summary

James Billington may be the most important person you never heard of, having headed the Library of Congress since well before the Web was spun or the DMCA was even a glint in the RIAA’s eye.

You can freely jailbreak your iPhone to add apps. Kindles should be able to use their text-to-speech function. If you want to rip a DVD for your latest YouTube masterpiece, go ahead.

Billington opens new DCMA loopholes

Fascinating thing this DMCA. Should the corporate-friendly government have design of dealing with this denial of the almighty business model? Or is it correct that our license to fair use should be metered out by commercial interests?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Although this doesn't open up everything, it certainly is a win for a lot of people trying to post legitimate Fair Use stuff. Interesting that the LOC gave the OK to circumvent DVD protection/encryption.

Too bad for Stephanie Lenz, this wasn't done last time Billington reviewed the DCMA.

I think the big win is that if there is a legal reason to be able to circumvent digital encryption/protection of copyrighted material, then it must also be legal to create software to do so, so long as its intended purpose is for legal usage of course.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Fascinating thing this DMCA. Should the corporate-friendly government have design of dealing with this denial of the almighty business model? Or is it correct that our license to fair use should be metered out by commercial interests?
Fascinating article, thanks for posting it, though I really don't understand your comments. The license to fair use seems to be meted out by the LOC which is apparently NOT acting they way commercial interests might like them to act. I didn't know the LOC had that much power.

Originally posted by Zaxxon
Interesting that the LOC gave the OK to circumvent DVD protection/encryption.

Too bad for Stephanie Lenz, this wasn't done last time Billington reviewed the DCMA.
Another comment I don't understand. She didn't circumvent DVD protection. She bought the CD legally, and was playing the legal CD on a CD player in the background while she videotaped her child. It's a pretty outrageous case but it just shows how out of hand the DMCA has become.

Anyway it's nice to see some rational thought coming out of the LOC but James Billington is quite old, I wonder what will happen when he's replaced?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

In my mind I would consider that it was a short clip from a copyrighted material made for commentary and not for commercial purposes. I should have probably been a little more clear I guess.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Anyway it's nice to see some rational thought coming out of the LOC but James Billington is quite old, I wonder what will happen when he's replaced?

No doubt some young executive from iTunes will suddenly get the urge for public service and move to the top of the replacement list. (LOL)

gj

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
No doubt some young executive from iTunes will suddenly get the urge for public service and move to the top of the replacement list. (LOL)
That's what I'm afraid of!

Originally posted by Zaxxon
In my mind I would consider that it was a short clip from a copyrighted material made for commentary and not for commercial purposes. I should have probably been a little more clear I guess.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that type of use was already considered "fair use" before these latest "fair use" loopholes, but I could be wrong.

new topics

top topics

join