It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mocking 9/11 Ad. Won an Award?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
DDB advertising company creates contraversial ad, and gets awarded for it.

This is from 2009, and I searched the threads looking, but to no aveil.

DDB Ad. for the WWF.

Link

Link

wiki..

I find this quite disturbing to be quite honest with you.

Now it should be clear the WWF had nothing to do with this, and that DDB acted alone, and made the advertisement on their own accord.

This advertising company is known for some of the most famous ad campaigns, how did this not get attention, and ruin their business?

EDIT: Apparently WWF was involved in the ad to some extent.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Here is the picture ad. They also have a video.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

How exactly is this ad mocking 9/11? All I see is a melodramatic advertisement that is most likely attempting to get people in the United States to understand natural disasters on the magnitude of the 2005 Tsunami seeing as nothing close to that has ever hit close to home.

I am not sure what the issue is really.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Nurv47]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurv47

I understand natural disasters are bad, except, no way should they be related to in anyway to the disasters of 9/11. Not that 9/11 is something that should have a stigmata, or taboo to it, where you cannot mention it, but it is very distasteful and doesn't make the point they thought they were making.

Maybe I interprit advertising different, seeing I've been surounded by it my whole life.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurv47

Even the companies mentioned had agreed with what I said, they shouldn't think of comparing such events.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I am not interested in those companies to be honest. I was just giving my opinion and they don't change it.

I personally think Americans need to stop acting like 9/11 is "THE SINGLE WORST EVENT IN HISTORY!!!", yes it was very, very bad ... but it wasn't the first time people have lost their lives due to terrorism or the evils of humanity ... and it certainly isn't going to be the last. Look at the civilian body count for the Iraq and Afghanistan war for instance.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurv47

I agree with your 2nd post 100%. I am just focused on how we throw the twin towers and the events into so much entertainment, and aparentlly advertising, that its to some extent insulting. If they aren't going to rebuild them, then they shouldn;t show them in print ads, videos, tv shows, new movies, or anything having to do with after.

In regards to this ad, they have no business relating these events. Natural disasters are obviously bad and we wish nature would atleast warn us. We have control of our actions, and so the events of 9/11 should be seen in such manner. We cannot (until evidence proving otherwise) control natural disasters, and so they are far more fearful. Yes, we should respect nature, but mocking death doesn't show how to respect nature, since both end in the same destruction.

So should I respect terrorists? jk

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurv47

I am not interested in those companies to be honest. I was just giving my opinion and they don't change it.

I personally think Americans need to stop acting like 9/11 is "THE SINGLE WORST EVENT IN HISTORY!!!", yes it was very, very bad ... but it wasn't the first time people have lost their lives due to terrorism or the evils of humanity ... and it certainly isn't going to be the last. Look at the civilian body count for the Iraq and Afghanistan war for instance.

Exactly correct.

Shoot, more people die of drunk driving every year than was lost on 9/11, and yet most people don't even bat an eye when they hear the stats.

But mention 9/11, and you get rabid foaming at the mouth diatribes and hate hate hate.

It's sad, really.

I don't think this company did anything wrong in their comparisons. What were they incorrect on? The picture you posted, for example; what was there in the ad that was untrue?

You say no taboo, but if you're disturbed by this ad, then that's exactly what you're doing.. making 9/11 sacrosanct from being compared to any other events.

There's far, far, worse out there happening on a very common basis.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

I'm hardly foaming at the mouth. Some things are just out of bad taste, and we should acknowledge that. Our advertising says more about us than alot of things, and we should be more respectful of what kind of ads we make. Have you seen the video ad? For the most part, you don't always have a say in the advertising you see.

And once again, I understand there are otrher things going bad in the world, wars and other encounters, there are forums for those discussions. I happened to find this ad in regards to this event, and don't see what bad it is to think this ad is unacceptable.

edit; These companies admitted being distasteful. Great, awesome, but we should have some decency and boycott them. The only way anything ever gets done.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hres a few more comments on this if you care to have a look

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Thank you! We're done here.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
If you like hollywood movies, look for two things: shots of the world trade center at key moments, with key dialogue, or the Volkswagen Beetle.

Movies tease us with a foretaste of the scenario, I assume, you are getting at, that of aluminum wings and plastic radomes punching right through steel buildings. The film 'The Three Days of the Condor' is centered in these buildings, and features the plot that was sold to us with help from the vanishing naudet brothers, the most famous photographers in the world, who cannot be found...that of 911. Even a tv commercial is used in the film, with signs of obvious foreknowledge 30 years before the hoax....

Pay attention to the words being spoken in these movies, and there are many, which accidentally linger on these buildings, when they accidentally linger on them, in their very last days. Nah-they didn't know nothing. As for the Beetle, the jews have been placing them at strategic places in films for decades, usually just before a disaster.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
don't we mock the tsunami and nagasaki/hiroshima events? we do it all the time. its just not funny when we're at the receiving end right?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

9/11 was just horrible however it is nowhere near the worst ever disaster to be bestowed unto man. The Tsunami was much, much worse in comparison to 9/11, this add is doing a good job of explaining that to people and also raising awareness of how powerful our planet is. The imagery used is perfect at getting this very important message across

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I know the tsunami was worse. I never said 911 was worse, im saying its bad taste to compare the two. You people just to a conclusion and don't read. THREAD CLOSED ANYWAYS! take everything you want out of context. what hate towards 911 you all portray.

YEAH TSUNAMIS ARE WORSE, BUT YOU DONT COMPARE IT TO A MANMADE DECISION.

million other ways they could have made the same point, that narure is powerful.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I think it’s a very good comparison, it shows how devastating the natural disasters can be and puts everything into contest. I don’t actually think it is in bad taste, but that’s my opinion if you think it is then fair enough. But as a advert i dont mind it, it’s the type of thing i would notice.

new topics

top topics

join