It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New thought.... or not

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
With all the billions of stars and galaxies, I am sure their is other life out their.
But I seem to get hung up on the distance thing. Its kinda wierd to think "they" are out their, but do they have any resemblence to our way of life? or are we a better shot at life than the lottery? How do they build their homes, social life etc..

Movies portray them as lizards and monsters, but why wouldnt they be like us? As a functional thinking species, (with problems) or maybee they are?

I feel like we probably havent made contact yet, but the number game is to much to disqualify, and we maybee never will.

The thought of another species on some distant planet with 3 year olds that bug me as much as them, intrigues me!!!!

Are kids a problem throught out the galaxie???

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
An advanced, intelligent species is likely to have little in common both physically and biologically with us.

Unless of course, this species evolved on a planet within its stars hospitable zone, like Earth and out of liquid water. Then perhaps we'll see some similarities.

But I'm willing to bet there's some very "alien" species out there in the galaxy, evolving out of an entirely different chemical process that we have no way of knowing about just yet.

Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

I've thought about this often and I try to look at other possibilities as well. What if life is linear and evolution is destined? Some scientists believe that life here on Earth came here on an asteroid or meteor. If life came from space then it may always follow a certain path in evolution. No species in Earth history evolved the intelligence that humans have evolved. The dinosaurs were here for 250 million years without evolving the intelligence that we have evolved in 65 million years. Perhaps all life will go through a similar evolution from single celled organisms to mammals. Maybe, just maybe, only mammals have the genetics needed to evolve intelligence. Maybe all intelligent aliens are descended from mammals, they would be mammals that we can barley imagine but still descendants of mammals. That would explain why they all seem to have such "human" features.

Just a theory here.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
...parenthood misery might likely be a universal concept...

...in which case I'm sure even Aliens have irritating children at times...

"Pa! Come and deal with Delbrix! He's gone and crashed the hover-lander again!"

...gadzooks! So that IS where crop-circles come from...Delbrix as his intergallactic Star-Racer mates have been out doing burnouts on distant planets for kicks!

It all makes perfect sense:

- UFOs are often reported to have shiny lights...thats the neon under-UFO strips they fit to show off their fly rides...

- UFOs are often reported to be shiny....they've pimped them out with a phat set of chromies...

- UFOs are often reported to be accompanied by loud low frequency hums...they're running a mean audio system complete with booming subwoofers...

- Some UFOs are reported to have crashed....even young Star-racers can't drive worth a damn just like their earthly Street-racer counterparts..

- UFOs are often reported to just accelerate away at unbelieveable speeds...they're running NOS y0! Just hit VTEC y0! ...and the Motec System Exhausts....

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
First off, I should state that I am a believer in the possibility of life beyond our planet. However, anything else I take with a grain of salt. With that said...

I have often thought about this line of "evolution" for species myself. At the risk of sounding humanly arrogant, I believe they would be very similar to use providing they evolved within similar parameters as we have. Humans have the best mode of articulation for living on earth. Our appendages give us a huge advantage over other forms of life on earth. These advantages have given us the opportunity to rise above other species and dominate the planet.

Due to this, I believe that other alien species that are intelligent and dominate their home planet would be very similar to us, providing they were from an Earth like planet. This would also inherently pass on many of the same everyday obstacles that we overcome here on earth on a day to day basis. Such as: Do Aliens us a Bidet?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChicUFO

I've thought about this often and I try to look at other possibilities as well. What if life is linear and evolution is destined? Some scientists believe that life here on Earth came here on an asteroid or meteor. If life came from space then it may always follow a certain path in evolution. No species in Earth history evolved the intelligence that humans have evolved. The dinosaurs were here for 250 million years without evolving the intelligence that we have evolved in 65 million years. Perhaps all life will go through a similar evolution from single celled organisms to mammals. Maybe, just maybe, only mammals have the genetics needed to evolve intelligence. Maybe all intelligent aliens are descended from mammals, they would be mammals that we can barley imagine but still descendants of mammals. That would explain why they all seem to have such "human" features.

Just a theory here.

Good response.

Personally, I don't think meteor/comet impacts literally brought life here, as in extremophiles surviving the crash, rather they brought necessary compounds such as water (which is the theory for how earth received its liquid water).

I personally believe we'll find life on Europa, deep under the icy crust where liquid water all but proven to exist. We should know in our lifetimes.

Outside of that, I'd place a bet life exists on Titan, in the methane lakes.

Methane, in a liquid state, is already being examined as possibly being a catalyst to a different kind of life, just as water was the catalyst to terrestrial life.

We've already proven that life has incredible tenacity. It can survive in extremely inhospitable places for human beings, so there's no reason not to speculate that it can evolve in extremely unique places on other worlds under different conditions.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I hope that life will be found in my lifetime but I have given up hope for NASA finding it. Maybe some corporation will find it profitable to explore another world and end up finding life, I'd be happy with that.

new topics

top topics

join