It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Debate Forum Experience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I recently just concluded my first ever official ATS Debate in the Debate Forum and had an interesting and fun time doing so.

I had long been reluctant to participate in the debate forum, and have politely turned down a few previous challenges to debate another member on topics we were mutually passionate about from opposite sides of the divide.

Yet when one of the Moderators recently U2U’d me to offer a challenge I decided the time had come to give it a try.

I was still hesitant though, and agreed to only if the Moderator conducting the debate picked the topic, and subsequently agreed to let the Moderator of the Debate pick the sides we would then argue too.

This turned out to be a riot because the Moderator chose a topic my opponent and I couldn’t quite even agree was really, real, and additionally found ourselves tasked with arguing for the opposite sides of it than we would have normally chosen ourselves.

So it turned out to be a true challenge for both of us, having to argue a side of the issue, we normally don’t believe in or promote.

Those who know and follow my posting history would likely not believe I was debating the pro position on the subject:

Challenge Match: ProtoPlasmicTraveler vs Skyfloating - "Intelligent Social Networks?"

In was a real test of our debating skills, could we take a position we normally didn’t favor and sell and promote that position, simply through the skill and style of our advocacy for it, instead of primarily relying on our normal passions.

It then boiled down simply to our own individual competitive spirits to win the day.

It also required us each walking a few miles in the other member’s shoes and trying to define and understand the world through their position and perspective.

Along the way I discovered that the Debate Forum on ATS really does not see much activity despite the fact that the Moderators running it would love to see it develop into a central part of ATS.

I was honestly nervous about how I might fair and wasn’t keen on the idea of the loosing the debate either. It still hasn’t been judged and I don’t know yet if I won or lost the debate, but I do believe I won something important by agreeing to participate.

So for new members and old members alike, I do believe SemperFortis, TheBorg and MemoryShock the Moderators in charge of the Debate Forum would love to see more members interested in the Forum, and sign up to a debate.

I went ahead and finally gave it a try and am glad I did.

I think ATS would like, and I know I would too, to see some other fresh debate candidates take part in this fine ATS tradition.

Think about giving it a try!

[edit on 1/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The debate forum is a blast and it forces you to think "outside of the box" The staff that conducts the debates takes it very seriously and my hats off to all who have the cojones to participate. Kudos to both of you for an excellent debate

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thanks FredT I really did enjoy my participation, a lot more than I imagined I would.

I am glad I challenged myself as well as Skyfloating, who was instrumental along with MemoryShock in encouraging me to give it a go.

I think a lot of members would enjoy it if they just gave it a try!

Thanks for commenting and being part of the best staff on the Internet!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I am curious what is the criteria for a moderator to choose between two members, that they know they would have a good debate?

Does a debate have to be initiated by a moderator? Or can members make requests?

If a subject is chosen is it mandatory to follow that particular subject?

When is a debate considered won?

Has their even been ties?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to one day participate, and would like to know what I'm getting into... which is a good quality in a debater

Peace to you...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Proto excellent debate between you and skyfloating, debating a topic that you wholly believe in is one thing but taking the opposite view has to a daunting task, you both made it look easy. I am looking forward to the outcome.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Wow! Talk about a Championship match! Two of my very favorite posters whom I have learned so much from, in a debate! This has got to be the cat's meow!

I did not even know this was going on. I always try to read the Protoplasmic Traveler and the Skyfloating threads because I find good quality, intriguing subject matter and usually astute insight.

Thanks for posting this!

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Unless it's a tournament the debates are arranged between members and then set up by a mod.

If you want to hone your skills, there's no better place than the Debate Forum.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Good questions and wouldn't mind a debate or two myself, but not so sure about debating a subject you have little knowledge or interest in. Just personal preference. Do they all involve moderators or do members get to go head-to-head with each other as well?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

From what I gather looking through some old Debate Forum threads there have been ties.

A pannel of judges actually determines who wins, not just one moderator.

Yes as far as I know you can debate specific subjects of your choosing if you have found someone to debate the other side of the issue.

You simply have to have one of the Moderators in charge of the debate forum set up the debate.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering why there aren't more people participating, I think it would be great for those people who foe others due to the disagreement of a particular thread. Instead of adding someone as a foe, debate it out.

Peace to you...

link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Proto excellent debate between you and skyfloating, debating a topic that you wholly believe in is one thing but taking the opposite view has to a daunting task, you both made it look easy. I am looking forward to the outcome.

Well whether I won or lost the debate, either way I feel like I won simply through the experience of participating.

Skyfloating is a very formidable yet very gracious opponent.

Another great byproduct is that even though Skyfloating and I are almost always on the opposite side of issues the whole experience has made us better friends.

That's one of the great things about ATS you can actually be friends with people who don't often share your perspective or outlook in a atmosphere of mutual respect and the debate forum really highlights the best of that.

Thanks for posting my friend.

link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
A pannel of judges actually determines who wins, not just one moderator.

That's right. A staffer has to set up the debate but the judges are anonymous. ALL FIGHTERS! So that they know the rules.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Wow! Talk about a Championship match! Two of my very favorite posters whom I have learned so much from, in a debate! This has got to be the cat's meow!

I did not even know this was going on. I always try to read the Protoplasmic Traveler and the Skyfloating threads because I find good quality, intriguing subject matter and usually astute insight.

Thanks for posting this!

The truth is having left our roles up to fate neither Skyfloating or I was keen to broadcast we were arguing for positions we normally wouldn't be.

Yet the fact that so few people did hear about it does highlight the need for more traffic and awareness about the debate forum.

I always enjoy Skyfloatings threads too, and I accepted his challenge in part because I knew he would be a quality and determined opponent because of them.

He sure didn't dissapointment me in that regard.

I do feel some members are missing out by not reading the existing debates in the debate forum as there are some really great ones, and participating themselves.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Good questions and wouldn't mind a debate or two myself, but not so sure about debating a subject you have little knowledge or interest in. Just personal preference. Do they all involve moderators or do members get to go head-to-head with each other as well?

From what I understand members can challenge eath other, or can participate in tournaments.

Moderators are members too, and what I have noticed is that a number of debates do involve moderators but are in no way limited to moderators.

Our moderator members are members who have tended to enjoy and excell at the ATS experience in notable ways that made them ideal cantidates to become moderators.

I feel though the the general membership is under represented in the Debate Forum so I would love to see more members get involved.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
No way i have the cajones or abilities to successfully debate, formally, but I would image it'd be far more advantageous to enter a debate on the opposite side of your personal stance. Obviously, you learn the other side, in addition to what you thought you already knew, but if you did it earnestly, you also solidify your point of view ... and hopefully influence others the reexamine theirs. That would be the worth, in my view.

Thanks for the post. Never even looked into them, but now, I'll go check it out.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have read quite a few of the debates, not actually read yours and skyfloatings but will get around to it soon. Not really something i would want to participate in myself if im being honest, not the type of poster or person that would do well in a debate but i do enjoy reading them.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Whatchayouguystalkingabout ... debate stuff?

Very rewarding pursuit imho ... everyone should try it at least once.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I agree and in my short time here, I have come across a number of worthy opponents. Usually posters who have been able to shake my own belief sets and make me question perceived realities. All good stuff and it was stumbling across your debate that took me on a little exploration of the debate forum. Good luck with your debate, it was a good read.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Whatchayouguystalkingabout ... debate stuff?

Very rewarding pursuit imho ... everyone should try it at least once.

Says the ever so humble ATS Debate champ!

I am trying to drum you up some competition for the next tournament!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I have read quite a few of the debates, not actually read yours and skyfloatings but will get around to it soon. Not really something i would want to participate in myself if im being honest, not the type of poster or person that would do well in a debate but i do enjoy reading them.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Solomons]

You always put forth some great arguments in your threads.

I honestly didn't see myself ever trying it or enjoying it either, but I was pleasantly surprised on both accounts.

Even to just read though, the debate threads are very informative.

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join