It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

256 x Solar mass star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
www.eso.org...

Not directly related, per se, to UFO's but yet another example of how our knowledge, which a month ago was a definite finite quantified amount, about how our universe is made up, can be shattered by the reality of it.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
www.eso.org...

Not directly related, per se, to UFO's but yet another example of how our knowledge, which a month ago was a definite finite quantified amount, about how our universe is made up, can be shattered by the reality of it.

Story has been posted here multiple times already over the past couple of weeks.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

This is old news, and almost as geeky as me for watching the sky at night.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Thank you, missed it earlier! Very interesting link.
I love stars!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You admit it's not related to UFOs yet you still post it in the UFO forum? Why not space exploration or science?

And it's about the 5th thread on this topic but I had to give you a star because the other threads say it's the largest, and it's NOT, you correctly state it is massive, so congratulations for getting that part right when so many others got it wrong, even some science websites missed that.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I posted it here because there are times in science, when the perceived wisdom of our universe, is pretty much turned on its' head. As yet, as far as i know, they haven;t actually explained the exact science involved in the formation of these super giants.

Given that, when say, certain forms of travel are impossible, we might be as wrong about that as we were about the maximum mass/size stars can attain. After all the maths we have as the previous model were *certain* there was a maximum size, 150 diameters of the sun. That, that figure has been surpassed to such an extent shows, just how wrong our modelling can be.

in an interview tonight on the BBC Programme "The Sky at Night", One of the crew responsible for finding these stars said, in effect. "We are playing this down but the implications for stellar astronomy are massive".

These are stars we simply never ever expected to find. That they exist, challenges the basis of what we believe about our universe. Given that, it did seem appropriate for at least a mention on a UFO forum.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by FireMoon]

[edit on 1-8-2010 by FireMoon]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
After all the maths we have as the previous model were *certain* there was a maximum size, 150 diameters of the sun. That, that figure has been surpassed to such an extent shows, just how wrong our modelling can be.
Source? and when was that 150 diameters surpassed?

The last I read about star size they were NOT certain and the number was not 150 diameters, it was 2600:

www.universetoday.com...

VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. It is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. ...University of Minnesota professor Roberta M. Humphreys estimates the radius of VY CMa at 1800 to 2100 solar radii. To illustrate, if our Sun were replaced with VY Canis Majoris, its surface would extend to the orbit of Saturn. ...Dr. Humphreys recently estimated that the largest possible star is approximately 2,600 times the radius of the Sun.

top topics

join