500,000 year old cranium found at Atapuerca, Burgos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
July 28, 2010

It is the second complete cranium to be found at the site.

A 500,000 year old complete cranium has been recovered from the Atapuerca side at Sima de los Huesos de Atapuerca in Burgos. It’s the second complete cranium to be found at the site which shows the presence of Homo Antecessor in the region.

Sources at the Atapuerca Foundation say that once the practical entire cranium has been recovered the meticulous reconstruction of the bones will be undertaken during the winter.

www.typicallyspanish.com...

Click here for related stories

Very interesting that they are finding sculls that are intact in that region, I will be interested to see the complete skelton when they assemble it this winter sometime.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
wow that's interesting!!

see I always tell who ask me were would want to live if not the US and I say Spain

why Spain ? because the entire history of the human race until now is in Spain, paleontologists and anthropologists can work there entire careers there and never leave the country

there's no place else quite like it

great post! S&F

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

I would also love to live in Spain, my daughter, son in law and two young grandchildren spent 10 days in Spain this past March and fell in love with the Country and people, their favorite city is Barcelona.

If I had to do it again I would become an archaeologists.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
yeah this is really awesome. my fiance wants to go to spain sometime next year after our wedding. I am going to start university next year as well and i am going to school for archeology. I cant wait maybe i can get a job an dme an dher can move to spain and i can find something like this

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
poor guy needed some braces.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well I've never been to Spain.
But I kind of like the music.
They say the ladies are insane there.
And they sure know how to use it.

A five hundred thousand year old skull. Wow! Those diggers must have been fighting over that.

Archeologists must be pretty patient people to dig with a brush so as not to destroy stuff. I cannot imagine being able to contain yourself like that.

I wonder if Archeologists get mad at each other and say stuff like "Your bones suck!"?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
More about Homo Antecessor at wikipedia.

Pretty interesting stuff...we've come a long way as a species.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
that's interesting , i would like to see a picture from the side because it looks like a skull of a chimpanzee, is there any other photos of it ?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Looking at the age of these remains, it makes perfect sense looking at Spain's proximity to Northern Africa.

In fact the Romans entered France via Spain allowing them to circumvent crossing the Alps.

Spain would be a cool place to live. My Dad studied in Seville.

Spain is really popular vacation spot with the Germans, who love the sunny warm weather there...and the relatively inexpensive accommodations.

Spain also just recently won the World Cup so they are definitely stoked !!!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hmm, I was there a week ago.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Hiya Aquarius, it's good to see the kind of thread I like around here

Here's an artist's depiction of what these guys probably looked like...

copyright belongs to Mauricio Anton

The Atapuerca Mountains are littered with the remains of our ancestors. In some cases, there are pits neck-deep with the bones of both them and the remnants of their meals. There was a favourable climate there for centuries that allowed these populations to slowly develop without successfully conquering Europe in the same way as Neanderthal and ourselves would much later.

There's a thread from earlier this year with some more details about these guys...The Ancient Pit of Bones...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
"What's up, guys?"

"Eh, nothin' much... Just chillin'... being naked?"

"Wanna huddle?"

"HELLYEAH!"

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Well I've never been to Spain.
But I kind of like the music.
They say the ladies are insane there.
And they sure know how to use it.

hahaha good one ! you killed me with that one!

Spain has everything from early hominids to pre Celtic PIE people Roman ruins ,Islamic occupation they have museums full of Aztec and Mayan artifacts and their average work day is five hrs !

I really want to live there they have beautiful horses and I love horses

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

What an interesting video. Beautiful horse indeed! Animals thrive when they know their purpose in life. They shine with pride, just as this horse does. I love that song too.

Thanks for adding it.

It's a miracle the skulls were preserved for so long. Amazing find. I hope you post more as it comes in.

Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Interesting, yes Spain is also becoming a popular destination for Americans, you mention Germans who love to vacation here, I have spent many vacations in Germany and was always going to go to Spain but haven't made it yet.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Thank you for posting the video, the horse is amazing, not so sure about the bull fighting, like the music.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Hi sweetliberty, tried to find more pictures with no luck, have no idea when more will become available, more then likely when they finish putting the skelton together this winter. I did find a site about this find in Spanish but no pictures on this scull.

It has an English translation link that isn't working.

www.atapuerca.tv...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is one of over 500 pictures my daughter and family took while in Spain, beautiful..

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Good post OP.

I live in Marbella, SP and after a summer of partying here on the med sea alot of tourists go home looking like your original picture!

Spain is a great country and I have been living here for 12 years. Low crime, great weather and truly multi cultural.

If your coming over or need advice send me a u2u.

www.puertojosebanus.es...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

I live in Marbella, SP and after a summer of partying here on the med sea alot of tourists go home looking like your original picture.

Lucky you, I am going to try to go in the next couple of years, haven't been to Europe since 99, it's time to go again. What part of Spain (love the name) is Marbella in? There must be amazing museums there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join