It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your home network secure, or open to hacker?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

a real system would be anything from a home computer to a company computer...any computer not properly shielded is vulnerable.

its still possible, even with LCD screens. but since the majority of information about TEMPEST is classified its hard to say what all its capable of. the technology is over 40 years old though, so im sure improvements have been made.

www.cl.cam.ac.uk...

as far as being unable to pick up the keystrokes..
www.engadget.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I think It is mostly kids discovering port scanners and scripts. Some basic protection is needed to keep those kids out. A stealth firewall will provide such a thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
nowadays I dont think its USEFUL to hack computers like you are talking

it may not be useful but it is a real possibility. i just find it a bit creepy that even if im completely disconnected from the internet, its still possible to see what im doing. i have a friend who works in that field and hes told me some of the things 'theoretically' possible. damn those top secret clearances

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tweakedvisions
reply to post by Korg Trinity

a real system would be anything from a home computer to a company computer...any computer not properly shielded is vulnerable.

its still possible, even with LCD screens. but since the majority of information
as far as being unable to pick up the keystrokes..
www.engadget.com...

LCD monitors have vastly reduced EMF emissions than CRT, the only real way to gain a signal is to gain it from the cable and as I already mentioned these signals are so tiny they get washed out with the myriad of other electronic devices also creating an EMF.

The keyboard eavesdropper has been proven to be totally useless as the demonstration your article points to had the experiment taking place where no other EMF signal was being emitted and the pickup was positioned just 1 meter away from the target keyboard.

In reality we are nearly at all times awash with EMF signals, the tiny emissions from a keyboard simply get washed out. The only real security risk when considering keyboards are wireless keyboards, because there is zero security on them. Anyone with a powerful enough radio transceiver can pick em up.

What's more is EMF dissipates disproportionately, as it gets absorbed differently depending what environment it encounters, vastly reducing the range of or vastly increasing the power usage of a listening device.

Worrying about your keystrokes being detected is more a keylogger virus issue than an eavesdropper issue.

It is the networks that carry data that is the weak link when concerning security, not the workstation.

Korg.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

<< 1  2  3   >>

join