It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the stress on "Your own free will and accord"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Everywhere you look you see that joining Masonry must be of your own free will and accord. It's stressed highly, all the time.

And it makes me wonder. Why is this stressed almost as though a caution sign?

In the movies, a Vampire must be invited into ones home before entering.

In witchcraft you will find a lot of "Free will and accord" etc.

Some may say, its to ensure that you aren't being cohersed into joining against your will. Others may say that it is the first step in selling your soul and it must be of your own doing or it doesn't count..

Anyone have any thoughts?

And for the record, I am not trying to stir up a pissing match. I am just honestly curious as to the thoughts of you all.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Look at the word again "Freemason".

Freemasonry for some people is the discovery of their god. Why should anyone be forced into discovering or worshipping their god?
It can also be the discovery of oneself. Again, why would one be forced? If you are forced to do something, you don't necessarily either follow it through or come up with the right answers.
Freedom is a catalyst. Without freedom, everything else may be tainted.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
You are never asked to sell your soul (or even lend it) in any form of Wicca, Neo-paganism or Witchcraft of which I am aware. Heck, you don't even have to believe in God/dess to be a Witch! Wicca is a religion, but Witchcraft is what it says -- a craft. I know a number of atheistic Witches.

As to free will, well, if a person is in a magical rite or Circle against their will, then it's almost a guarantee that this will cause problems in a working. If you have a number of individuals working in concert and one (or more) going against the flow, then the energy flow becomes corrupted and/or difficult to manage. A good analogy is a symphony -- it's beautiful and moving when all the musicians are in the flow, but one person playing off-key because hir heart isn't in it can quickly turn the whole thing into a dissonant mess. If you really don't want to be in a Circle, ritual or working, you can bet that no one else involved will want you there, either.

[edit on 18-6-2004 by Hecate100]

new topics

join