It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military keeping traumatized soldiers in combat zones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Military keeping traumatized soldiers in combat zones

www.msnbc.msn.com

Increasingly, the Army is trying to treat traumatized soldiers "in theater" — where they're stationed. The idea is that soldiers will heal best if kept with those who understand what they've been through, rather than being dumped into a treatment center back in the States where they'll be surrounded by unfamiliar people and untethered from their work and routine.

However, the policy may serve the military at least as much as the soldiers. Treating soldiers on site makes it easier to send them b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

4 counselors for 30 bases

The 5,000 troops that make up Task Force Mountain Warrior — which includes the Fort Carson soldiers — are served by a psychologist, a psychiatrist and two social workers. Collectively known to soldiers as "Combat Stress" — as in, "I had to go see Combat Stress" — this four-person team makes the rounds to about 30 bases. They arrive after any potential trauma: the death of a soldier, an arduous battle or a large roadside bombing.

So this is better than letting them stay at home?

If someone is suicidal but is forced to stay in combat while being mentally sick... isn't that a form of torture?

And forget lack of resources as far as getting help is concerned, sometimes there is no help as you can see below:

Riordan said that as soon as the gunfire died down on Oct. 3, he decided the first thing he would do was go see a counselor. He'd had some sessions already in the States, though his treatment had repeatedly been interrupted by deployments.

But by the time he arrived at Bostick on a later flight from Fritsche, the counselors were gone. Two days later, he was out on operations again.

When we debate about the moralities of this war and about civilian casualties people pro-war'ers often say things like "what do you expect, this is a war".

But the thing is that you aren't treating anyone like human beings, not only enemy combatants but also your own army.
Enemy combatants and even civilians are treated like animals, and u.s. troops like machines, the only portion of their humanity that TPTB see in them is tackled with anti-depressants.

'I'm about to shoot somebody or myself'
"Finally I just put my foot down with it and I was like, look, I'm at my wits' end. I'm about to shoot somebody or myself and I need to go talk to someone," Riordan said.

Then Riordan do the right thing for yourself and defect!

Times are changing people, it's time to respect defection now, stop living in another dimension and come back to reality otherwise you are going to get too close to sadism.
Sure you not enjoying it fine, but to the eye a beholder you are looking like a sadist!

"I would pause, and stare into nothing as thoughts of my daughter growing up without a father, my mother and father at a funeral, and all the other things that would happen filled my head," he said.

This is war!

Sure no problem, understood... agreed!!!!

But sending suicidal people to war with automatic guns does not work!

Not only for their own safety but also others:

The 4th Brigade Combat Team out of Fort Carson, Colo., has reason to be particularly conscientious — Fort Carson came under scrutiny after a string of murders by returned soldiers.

How about we actually start thinking again????

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
With respect you have NO idea what it is like to just "survive" a deployment.. You will never get Rick back.. An abysmal interrpretation...

The taban are just old style warlords and survivors of every war ever..
Lol

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Be ruthless

You know x

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's actually been proven that keeping them at the hospital for a few days and then sending them back to their unit is much better then sending them home. Back during WWII they found that they could cure virtually all but the total breakdowns with a simple hot meal and a few hours away from the gunfire and explosions.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
as i remember a couple of buddies coming back from the vietnam war, they are permenantly changed. some are able to hide the demons away, others never did recover. this is why wars should be few, and ONLY in defense of our nation. i kept my son from ever even thinking about joining, because we have not been in a justifiable war since korea, and that one is suspect. we spend more than the next top 16 countries COMBINED in defense spending, we could cut our military budget in HALF, and still spend more than the next top 8 countries COMBINED.
these "wars" we send our young people to are about money, and the control of assets....dont think so??? tell me 1 war where the country is now a democracy and HAS NOT reverted back to its old way of government?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
No flags? Seriously?

Y'all must be a bunch a illegal war, waterboardin, tourture loving, born again fanatics.

All the rampant far slanted propagandous crap that spews across these boards with 35-40 flags. Its sickening.

But this, the lives of these men get no attention? I'm really starting to lose faith in people.

ModernAcademia keep bringing this news to our attention, don't get discouraged.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

top topics

join