It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Best TV Series to Rent?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
TV series I am going to probably purchase:

Shameless (UK version)

Venture Brothers

Freaks and Geeks

Cheers (classic)

Skins (UK version)

Star Trek (digitally enhanced original series)

Star Trek DS9

Doctor Who (all incarnations)

Torchwood

Sarah Jane Adventures

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Dead Like Me - My favorite

Carnivale

Firefly

Dr Who

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee
Dead Like Me - My favorite

Carnivale

Firefly

Dr Who

replace DR Who with True Blood

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I don't know if you have any interest what so ever in the older days but I highly recommend Centennial. If your lucky enough to find it, it starts out with a Frenchman moving into Indian territory trapping beaver for pelts and packing them in his canoe and making the long journey back to sell them. He later abandoned beaver trapping for gold mining.

The series is twelve movies long and is quite refreshing from your every day smoke and smog. Its cast in the time when Indians were run off their lands and moved to reservations. That's not my favorite part of the movie but it is a part of history regardless.
It features - Richard Chamberland and Robert Conrad as the trapper.

Its one of my all time favorite movies. Here is a link as well-

www.imdb.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
IMHO, West Wing is the best drama ever created. People hear "political drama" and think...boring....but i can tell you, i have already watched it once, and then persuaded my kids (youngest 13) to watch an episode with me, and now they want to watch one every day. It's funny, the scripts are brilliant, fast moving and it's just very good.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'll second Buffy and Firefly, I've watched Buffy all the way through 6 times now - I need to get a life, but I don't sleep much...

The Wire is stunning, a real benchmark in serialised TV, although Breaking Bad sucked me in more.

OZ is great, HBO and a fore-runner to a lot of current stuff, with a truly stunning cast - although it's quite gritty.

As an aside, you can probably pick up Buffy really cheap to buy these days.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I forgot to mention, for comic relief ...
Laugh-In
Dean Martin's Variety Show.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Modern or retro?

Retro -

Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Freaks and Geeks
Monty Python
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
Bottom
MacGyver

More modern -

The Big Bang Theory
Dexter
The Mentalist
Firefly - Seriously if you haven't watched this you need to
South Park
Alias
Boston Legal
Farscape

Oh there are plenty more. Man i sound like tv junkie lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Some of the best shows on television, all that I went through back-to-back on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it much more.

Lost - if you're going to watch this, do it from the beginning and commit to it. Take it right through until the end. Brilliant show and you won't be the same afterwards. One of the best shows of all-time.

The Sopranos - another all-time best. If you haven't seen it yet, I'm sure you're familiar with it. I'll just say that it's a show with a slow pace that makes it perfect for this sort of back-to-back viewing.

Friday Night Lights - the best show on television that nobody knows about. A high school drama set in Texas with the football team as the backdrop. It's the most authentic show on television. Despite poor ratings, the quality of this show has kept it going for five seasons. Again, this is the best show on television that most people don't know about.

Entourage - a fictional television show set in real-time Hollywood. If you like to laugh, you'll love this show. Hilarious without resorting to cheap humor.

Californication - Agent Mulder as a sex addict. This show is as funny as it is serious at times. Three seasons to watch and a fourth starting up soon. You won't be let down by this show.

United States of Tara - Toni Collette is Tara who has multiple personality disorder. It's written by Diablo Cody who is fantastic and Steven Speilberg as an executive director or producer. Two seasons deep and it's a top notch show. I preferred the first season to the second, but both are great.

Dexter - You need to watch this show simply to watch season four. Such a great show!

Mad Men - this show wins Best show at the Emmy's the last 3 years. Even the Sopranos only won it once. Set in the 60's at a New York advertisement agency, it really gives a good insight on how the work place operated back then and the gender dynamics that operated among co-workers. It uses historical events as a small back drop to give you an idea of how much time has passed. Another one of the best!

The Office - funniest show on television and one of the best casts!

30 Rock - I've never been a fan of Alec Baldwin and I've thoroughly despised Tracy Morgan. Then I watched this show. I always try to compare it to The Office, but it just doesn't work. This show is just as good and much more cerebral.

Breaking Bad - a high school teacher who is diagnosed with terminal cancer resorts to drugs to make money. On the surface it seems like a weak plot, but it's not at all. And Bryan Cranston gives some of the best performances you can find on television.

Just to name a few.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I was just about to say that Gazrok. I am finishihng season one now.

I also suggest the Sopranos.

Now I despised that show at first.Everytime I turned it on it was violence and violence and abuse against women.
But I got stuck watching a full episode one day and the show ended up captivating me. STill not crazy about the violence, but the rest is good.

John Adams is another one.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Two more:

My absolute favorite: Boston Legal.

Denny Crane. coo coo for cocoa puffs

And Enterprise.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And Enterprise.

That's heavy man.........

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Haven't seen anyone recommend Absolutely Fabulous yet.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
True Blood
Dexter
Sopranos

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I could watch The Wire all day, every day.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a masterpiece without rival. Who else thinks or at least sort-of-thinks-so besides several other awesome people in this thread? Telegraph, Guardian, SF Chronicle, oh yeah, and Harvard and Duke have classes on it.

Beware of reading too far into the Guardian/Telegraph/SF Chronicle links. There are some spoilers.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Gossip Girl, season 3...lol Just Kidding!

Ummm, if you are into war and mini-series than Generation Kill or Band of Brothers....

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Entourage - a fictional television show set in real-time Hollywood. If you like to laugh, you'll love this show. Hilarious without resorting to cheap humor.

Season Seven sucks! It looks like they are running out of ideas. Season Four was cool though...

I also forgot to say, keep away from the mentalist, it is a total rip off of the show Psych on USA..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well Im currently rewatching Angel,its a great series,5 seasons in all.I highly recommend it,Kyle XY,Smallville,Supernatural,The Gates,The Vampire Diaries.and well everybody already said True Blood so no need for me to say it too.
oh well,yeah if you'd like,watch the series written above, hope ya'll like them

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The Office

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

M*A*S*H*

Boston Legal

Blackadder

Monty Python's Flying Circus

30 Rock

I could go on forever but I'll stop here.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I would suggest a load of British things but I have no idea if they would be available in the US

I loved Reno 911, but It's not on in the UK at the moment and I miss it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join