It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Best TV Series to Rent?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What are your favorite TV series that are released on DVD?

I have an injured knee and I'm going to be down for a while. I'm pretty incapacitated and I'm going crazy! So I want to rent a good series and watch it to keep myself sane.

I like comedy and drama, but nothing too goofy or too "heavy". So... what would you suggest? I have a few that I'm thinking about, but would like to hear YOUR favorites!

Lost
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Freaks and Geeks
Six Feet Under

What else should I consider? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
True Blood

Especially if you don't have HBO (we actually got it JUST for this show!)
Thing is, there's always a cliffhanger, so nice to be able to go right to the next episode if seeing it on DVD for the first time.

Dexter

(same as HBO, we got Showtime for this one)....

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Arrested Development.
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
All good choices so far! I would add Stargate: SG1 to the mix. With 10 seasons and over 200 episodes, it will definitelly eat up alot of that downtime you're facing!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

"Breaking Bad"
"Easy Money"
"In Plain Sight"
"Crash"

All Shot here in Tamalewood and whaaa is in all of them as an extra/background/driver/standin. Look for the balding, long gray hair, bearded guy.

Actually these series are pretty heavy. For something light, check out the webesode "Date Doctor" another local production.

Get well soon!!!

[edit on 2-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My suggestions would be.

30 Rock

Family Guy

American Dad

The Office

Top Chef

Hell's Kitchen

You know if you like cooking shows

Peace to you...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Trailer Park Boys!

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boognish
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

FTMFW!

I love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia because it's witty, not reality-based and full of the very things I do.

Of course, I am about the same age as the actors and they have made a genre all on their own.

Huge fan of the show.
But, it takes a bit to get used to.

Love the music too.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Try buying the sopranos , the sheild , sons of anarchy, true blood

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Buffy The Vampire Slayer!!

...........but that is just me.

I haven been catching up on all seasons of Weeds on Showtime ondemand and it's pretty funny.

True Blood is good, Stargate Atlantis is a favorite of mine if you like sci-fi....

I don't really like too many shows to where i have seen all seasons. Usually when I like a show it gets cancelled so I don't bother much anymore til a show has at least 4 seasons
I watch a lot of documentaries online. Hulu is great for that and Netflix is great! I love the instant watch section.

Hope your knee gets better

Oh and Dexter is my all time favorite. I got hooked while I was out with a kidney infection a few years ago. I watched the first season in one night. I did the same with the shield

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I really liked Lost Season 1 and Fringe Season 1 (Season 2 DVD comes out in September)

I don't really know what you enjoy so here are some of my other favorites:

X-Files
South Park
The Venture Brothers
Futurama
Sanctuary Season 1

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Weeds

Californication

Red Dwarf

Hope you aren't laid up long enough to watch ALL the suggestions.

MM

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissMegs
Weeds

Californication

Can't miss with either of those. I'll add Rescue Me to the mix. Without a doubt, one of the best shows tv has ever seen. For those not aware of it, the show centers on Tommy Gavin and his firehouse post 9/11. Gavin lost his best friend/cousin in 9/11 and he's haunted by the ghost of said cousin, along with the ghosts of others. He's got family issues galore, he's a raging alcoholic, a hero firefighter, a womanizer, an angel and the devil all rolled into one crazy character. The show can turn from hysterical to dramatically intense and back in seconds. Dennis Leary stars as Gavin and he also writes the show. Not only is it nearly perfect in it's dialogue, it's got the best music I've ever heard in a tv show (or movie). It's heart wrenching at times, nail biting intense at times and there's always pure hysterics to keep you off balance.

Another great show, one that died too soon, is Huff. It was a showtime drama about a shrink who had a rather dysfunctiona life outside of his office. Hank Azaria played Huff and his best friend was a drug abusing attorney played by Oliver Platt. Platt's character alone made the show worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I just caught up on seasons 3-5 of Weeds and OMG it changed. I avoided all message boards because I didn't want spoilers. All I heard was it got a little out there and well they were right. It's ok, I think the next season will keep my interest.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
DVD is the best way to go for sure. I'm currently watching TrueBlood Season 2. I was very turned off with the Vampire theme. It's discusting and sacrilegious, but as I watched many t.v. series on dvd I find that shows are way better if you watch them in sequece from the beginning.

Watching TrueBlood from the beginning, I found out that it is not at all about Vampires, although there are many in the show. The show surrounds a sweet southern girl named Sookie Stackhouse who just happened to fall in love with a Vampire.

If you read the credits in the beginning the show is based on the Sookie Stackhouse Novels. I tried to watch the show starting at Season 3 Episode 4 on HBO and it was really lame being that I had no idea what was going on and it seemed like a very low television show. I knew it would probably be better if I watched it from beginning and I was correct. I very glad I tried it out even though I really don't care for Vampire movies and shows.

Heroes is my favorite show. I wait when the season is released on DVD so I can watch it all at once. It really sucks to have to wait a week to get the next show when you can wait a year and watch the complete season at once.

Ever sence I started watching dvd shows I'm now hooked. I'm willing to try most shows out from beginning.

Makes a big difference.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Majorly seconding Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, Always Sunny, Venture Bros, 30 Rock (first two seasons) and X-Files (up until about season...7 or so).

The greatest show I have ever seen, it even kind of ruined other shows for me, is The Wire. You have to give it a few episodes, because it starts a little slow and it doesn't hold your hand. There's a lot of characters and it takes a few episodes to get to know who is who. Once you get into it, you're IN and you'll probably devour the five seasons as quickly as you can.

The most superficial way to describe it is "cop show," but that doesn't do it justice. The good guys have major flaws, the bad guys have redeeming values, parallels are draw between the corrupt systems running Baltimore and the gangs running the street. Every character is completely round and everything (well...almost everything) is realistic. Each season has different themes and the characters find themselves in different positions over time. The characters are so real that you'll be bad for them, happy for them and are upset when things happy to them even though they're fictional.

I can't recommend it enough. The last season is a little lacking, but the rest knock it so far out of the park it's ridiculous.

Other good shows:
Carnivale- A little slow, confusing and according to the creator the series got cancelled before the story really even started. Still, I loved it. It's a story of magic, mystery and good vs. evil set during the Dustbowl.

Firefly- Great sci-fi show, funny and action packed.

Generation Kill- Based on a really great non-fiction book. It's about the first marines going in the current Iraq War.

Burn Notice- Entertainment, pure and simple. No big story arcs, no heavy drama, just a fun show. It's about a burned spy and his friends doing jobs in Miami. Pretty filled with action and Bruce Campbell provides a lot of humor, plus every episode has neat little spy tricks.

Dexter season 4- Dexter is a decent show (though I was bored throughout most of season 3), but during season 4 it went into the stratosphere thanks mostly to John Lithgow. You could probably watch just season 4 and not be confused, though some things won't have the same impact.

Flight of the Conchords- The fictional adventures of a real-life band from new Zealand. Funny and usually the episodes have great songs.

We're basically living in the golden age of television where there's so much good stuff out there.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by SaulGoodman]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
X-Files,Dexter,Burn Notice,Supernatural,Star Trek,Stargate sg1,just to name a few.I hope you get to feeling better soon.Get well soon!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Hiya BH:

Here's the best choice: Gavin & Stacey
Don't know if you can buy the DVDs in the US yet, though you probably can. But you can get it on iTunes Great, simple, funny, light, escapist show that's not stupid. Plus, it's British, so you know it's better quality than stuff from here.

Also, Breaking Bad. Just the best show on right now.

And United States of Tara. Can be a little heavy, but the absurdity of it all makes up for it and you'll laugh a lot.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

If you read the credits in the beginning the show is based on the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.

The books are actually very addictive reads. The show only loosely follows the books, but close enough to where the books may provide some spoilers....(like knowing what Sookie really is)...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Breaking Bad and Trailer Park Boys are good recommendations.

I'd suggest Twin Peaks and those other two as well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join