It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church's 'Burn a Koran Day' brings Islamist threats

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by black cat

I don't understand the correlation between building the mosque where they want to and burning the Qu'ran with the exception that the mosque thing is pissing off Christians. So please explain why that is such a bad thing.

I see what you're saying. Pissing off Christians is acceptable, but pissing off Muslims isn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Originally posted by black cat
Building that mosque near ground zero is also an act that will incite religious hatred - hatred of Christianity toward Muslims for doing it. Does that make building the mosque a bad idea? And you can't say "No, because it's mostly the Christians who have a problem with it" because the same can be said for the Koran burning - the Muslims are mostly the ones who think burning the Koran is a bad idea. So shouldn't that not take place? Why is one permissible but not the other?

I think if you were to poll most Christians, they would be against the idea of burning a Koran. To suggest Muslims are the ones mostly against this doesn't make sense. If correct, then the consensus of Christian opinion would be okay with the idea. The intent to build a Muslim Community Center near Ground Zero is not designed to aggressively incite religious hatred. It is not being directly used as a weapon in a propaganda war. The intent here is more along the lines of unification, not ideological separation.

Larry that's is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Building a mosque at ground zero is not going to unify because there are many outraged at the idea. The same is true with the book burning. Both things are anti-unification even if unification was their original intention. Should building the mosque be acceptable if the overall result is further widening the divide between people?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

That didn't answer my question but I'll go with it. So this has become a pissing match. Christians can't stop the process because the city counsel has already approved it so the "Christians" use childish tactics to get back at Muslims. Jesus would not approve.

If you feel like going further please tell me what's wrong with the building of the mosque?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Actually, most of the people who are outraged are not from the area and probably really have no say.

The majority of the people in the community this is in have no such issues. And they lived through it. They lived with a very active mosque for over 40 years in the neighborhood, which if I recall correctly is moving to the Islamic center. The leader of this mosque is a popular figure in the community in general.

Personally, I have to ask what business is it of bigmouths like Sarah Palin and others who don't even live there and who lost no one and who didn't live through the attack have to even chime in about this?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That didn't answer my question but I'll go with it. So this has become a pissing match. Christians can't stop the process because the city counsel has already approved it so the "Christians" use childish tactics to get back at Muslims. Jesus would not approve.

If you feel like going further please tell me what's wrong with the building of the mosque?

And the framers of the Constitution thought it necessary to protect the freedoms of those who want to burn books. I would call that an act of free speech. The same thing is wrong with building the mosque that is wrong with burning a Koran. It would piss off a group of people and further divide the community. Also, your assertion that burning a book is a "childish" tactic reveals the emotional interest you've vested in this topic. That's your opinion, and not relevant to a debate. When you let emotions cloud your judgment you cease to be fair to all parties involved.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Okay, we agree on the unification issue but at an extreme end, burning a Koran is declaration of hatred and could be used as ammunition for fundamentalist Islamic factions. If I hear Christians threatening to spill blood over the issue, then I will reconsider my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Actually, most of the people who are outraged are not from the area and probably really have no say.

The majority of the people in the community this is in have no such issues. And they lived through it. They lived with a very active mosque for over 40 years in the neighborhood, which if I recall correctly is moving to the Islamic center. The leader of this mosque is a popular figure in the community in general.

Personally, I have to ask what business is it of bigmouths like Sarah Palin and others who don't even live there and who lost no one and who didn't live through the attack have to even chime in about this?

Okay, so if the people in the community of the book burners had no problem with the idea of burning a Koran that would make it acceptable? That's what you seem to be saying about the mosque.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Pure obfuscation. Is there a reason you won't answer this question?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hey Lucidity, could you point me towards the information you speak of. Is there a level-headed news source regarding the Muslim Community Centre. Me thinks I need to research this a bit more.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Okay, we agree on the unification issue but at an extreme end, burning a Koran is declaration of hatred and could be used as ammunition for fundamentalist Islamic factions. If I hear Christians threatening to spill blood over the issue, then I will reconsider my thoughts.

"Burning a Koran is a declaration of hatred" - That's your opinion. It's one I agree with, also, but it is an opinion. What if someone burns a Koran not to be hateful but to protest something the Muslim's are doing, like building a mosque on an area considered by some as sacred? Would these same people burn a Koran otherwise? You can't say for sure because that's in the hearts and minds of each individual.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Pure obfuscation. Is there a reason you won't answer this question?

I did answer the question. I suspect you didn't like the answer I gave and are calling shenanigans because it's your only rebuttal. The same thing is wrong with building the mosque that is wrong with burning the Koran - both acts will greatly offend a group of people and create further rifts.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

OK, what about building the mosque pisses off Christians then? Is that better?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It is also my understanding that the Church in question protests 9/11 every year, except this year they are going to fahrenheit 451. It also crosses my mind that perhaps there's a little evangelical egoism on the part of the Church leader going on here as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

What about burning the Koran pisses off Muslims? The point is - does it matter? The fact is that it will piss off people either way and further the divide.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid it is like rubbing salt in a wound, if that is their intention, if their intention is honorable, only time will tell,

Before 9/11 did people take issue with where mosques were built?

and it is not only Christians that object,

It's a touchy subject.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by black cat

What about burning the Koran pisses off Muslims? The point is - does it matter?

I think it does and your reluctance to explain it says a lot. There's nothing but hate to your argument or you would engage in this debate.

Again, why is the building of the mosque offensive to Christians?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I've no doubt there's a lot of religious egoism going on. Protesting 9/11? What's that about? What are they protesting?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What about burning the Koran pisses off Muslims? The point is - does it matter? The fact is that it will piss off people either way and further the divide.

I have to agree, they had to know this would raise questions.

We are only human, we are frail, we are tribal,

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Florida church's 'Burn a Koran Day' brings Islamist threats

rawstory.com

The church's plans have grabbed the attention of the Islamist movement. Members of the al-Falluja online forum have reportedly promised to "spill rivers of your (American) blood" if the event goes forward.

But the church is holding steadfast in its position.
(visit the link for the full news article)

But I thought islam was a a religion of peace? They want to spill American blood? Then bring it on.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It starts to make some sense. Take this blog entry from the UK's Guardian Newspaper:

On September 11, members of the Dove World Outreach Center – a Gainesville, Florida church – plan to burn copies of the Koran to commemorate the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. The protest is just the latest in a series of provocative actions from the self-described "New Testament Church," which seems as interested in getting attention as it is in sharing the Word with the world. Unfortunately, their plan seems to have worked -- and local investigators have begun probing the church's tax-exempt status after reports that Dove World Outreach Center is essentially a scam.

Look like the Church has been involved in a number of high profile protests.

Full article

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join