It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church's 'Burn a Koran Day' brings Islamist threats

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i'm not too in favor of burning books we do not understand.

i do not subscribe to the belief that the authors of either the bible or the koran were seperate entities.

i do not believe it is coincidence that chapter 9 verse 11 in the koran effectively says the exact opposite of chapter 11 verse 9 of the bible.

i'm not too in favor of burning books.
i'm not too in favor of spilling rivers of blood for those who do either.

happy contemplationing,
et

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
i'm not too in favor of burning books we do not understand.

i do not subscribe to the belief that the authors of either the bible or the koran were seperate entities.

i do not believe it is coincidence that chapter 9 verse 11 in the koran effectively says the exact opposite of chapter 11 verse 9 of the bible.

i'm not too in favor of burning books.
i'm not too in favor of spilling rivers of blood for those who do either.

happy contemplationing,
et

You are saying that this..

[9.11] But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications clear for a people who know.

Source

Is the opposite of this:

And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon

www.biblewiki.be...

That's not at all the same...at all..

That's some Christian propaganda there...

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Would it be bad to set up a bookmobile filled with Korans outside this church, sell them to the nuts to burn, and donate the proceeds to the NYC Mosque?

In a country of diminishing freedoms, may I take the liberty of saying, "whatever!" Let the nutjobs burn the Korans. And let the Muslims be offended. But the minute either side resorts to violence, let them be dealt with.

My feeling is if you can't deal with another person's opinion, no matter how disrespectful or offending it is to you without resorting to violence then you're worse than them. The same goes for burning Bibles, Korans, Origin of Species books, Flags, or opposing sports team jerseys.

The good thing about freedom of speech is it lets idiots identify themselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
After reading the posts and the article that was written and giving great thought on such, here is what I will say on this.
While I do not agree with the burning of any book, no matter what it is, or how I may choose to disagree with such, or with the message in it, I will support this church in its actions no matter what people may think. The freedoms that we all enjoy have been tested time and time again, from the very beginings of this country up to today. And what they are suggesting and what they are doing is simply exercising their freedom of speech protected under the Constitution of the United States of America. It may seem like they are trying to provoke a reaction, and they are, but those freedoms have to be protected, even if it is something you may disagree with. Those who would threaten cause they find the action terrible are in the wrong, failing to realize that they are just as wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Reminder: NEVER burn Torah, Psalms, Gospel and Koran for they are the holy books no matter what your religion or belief and no matter how much you hate the other guy religion.

A "holy book" is an oxymoron. Nothing is holy. Or everything is. I'd like to show up (I won't) at this event with all of the above (plus a few others) and burn them all.
You see, a "holy book" needs to be burned for the simple reason that so many "followers" think it "holy." Dangerous to allow that particular viewpoint to predominate. Those who would happily leave these ancient fairy tales in the trash heap of human history do not owe religion itself any respect. And it is not inherently disrespectful of the religionists themselves, because it it a repudiation of a belief system, which has had more than a little influence on our supposedly secular society. There's always a culture war on. The modern world (ie., thinking people) needs to stop paying phony respect to these crazy ideas. Obviously, if I don't subscribe to your belief system, (and actually feel it is regressive and a constant source of violence and discord) I am free to protest it by burning, defecating upon, reading backwards, or any other thing I want.
I know that's obviously not at all what the "Christians" burning the koran are all about. I just thought I'd respond to the admonishment to NEVER burn these "holy" books. I'd probably never own one to burn in the first place, but its certainly a reasonable way to protest a belief system which is NOT simply minding it own business.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Be kinda neat if Islamist's arrived to the event and explained how Christianity was a pagan religion and there is no such thing as Jesus in the sense they had been taught for thousands of years.

Show them the cultural stories from where it originated (Egypt, Babylon etc)

Back to the real reason the church is burning the Koran. Draw Muslims out in the open so they can say " See,,,See how violent they are and a danger to all"

or

We can take it into the conspiratorial realm where this is a joint military-FBI operation to draw out true radical jihadist terrorists or potential threats.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
One must ask, what's the motivation behind burning the Qu'ran? Pretty easy to see. To piss off the extremists. That's adding fuel to the fire. I'm POSITIVE that Christ would not approve. What does that say for those "Christians"?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

But what you just said is a belief system of your own creation that they are all wrong. Under your own system your own texts should be burned for their divisional nature against religious people here. You are what you hate and a hypocrite.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

sorry. you're wrong. I actually don't consider my belief system "holy". Burn anything that represents what I believe, and I will merely find it amusing. Get the difference? It's obvious.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

Put it into perspective then. To many those books are like a part of themselves. What if we burned a part of you?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If the Muslims DO kill people, over some books being burnt, then yes, I WILL blame the violence of Islam.

It's not to say that Christian arrogance and stupidity didn't contribute.

Everyone should see the movie AGORA.

Of course, there's been a conspiracy to keep it from being shown in the US. It's at a few small theaters though, and coming to dvd on the 10th.

Listen, this is JUST like the opening of AGORA. The pagans are already smarting because of a trick that spilt pagan blood.

The Christians come in, and start throwing tomatoes and stuff at the statue of Serapis, and mocking the Pagan Gods. The pagans retaliate, not listening to the voice of reason.

If I wanted to burn a Koran, I'd go right out in my yard and burn one. I don't want to though, I don't want to have to own one for any time to be able to do that. The last thing I'd do is broadcast it which only has the affect of insulting a religion. (Throwing tomatoes at Serapis.)

The WHOLE THING is just stupid. It's all just SO FREAKIN STUPID.
I'm not burning books, but I'm not worshiping one, or using one to hurt or control people either.

Reason stands alone. Don't topple it too in all this stupidity.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think we'd better stay with what we had before that new fad, Islam

fad – a temporary popular notion, artistic activity, fashion, or food that is usually followed by a large group of people for a short time.

SRC: www.usa-people-search.com...

Don't think you can really call it a 'fad'.

I was being a little sarcastic here, but the idea is that I don't like another major religion being introduced into our society in any significant manner.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Here's the trailer to AGORA.

It isn't being played because they are afraid it will make the Christian right mad, but it's really as much about ISLAM as anything, even though there's no muslims in it.

It's about religions acting like the children in THE LORD OF THE FLIES.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I don't really know how you can call a religion which is as old as Christianity, a "fad"

Dude, Islam is NOT as old as Christianity. You could at least have gotten your facts straight. Shame!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

They are probably all fads in an hour of God's time. They all come, they go.
I don't worry about them too much in my own life.

I worry about tending to truth, kindness, reason, compassion.

It's enough for me. All those things bring peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

You would blame the actions of a few nuts on an entire religion and its followers?

Could you elaborate on your thought process?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I saw this guy interviewed the other day - think it was Rick Sanchez - what a tool (the guy being intereviewed!).

Christianity preaches love, compassion, and tolerance of others, but it appears only for other Christians that fit in with the immoral and unethical practices of the Catholic Church.

Religion is all about Faith, not blindly following a religious leader, but it seems as though most Christians are blindly following their leaders without even realizing that their faith is being tested.

I'm not a Christian, I'm a recent follower of Theocracy, but if I were Christian, I would be certainly questioning by belief system with Church leadership such as this.

If an Ayatollah or Mullah were to incite Muslims to burn bibles, there would be a national outcry.

Why is there no national outcry against this bigoted idiot?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by hadriana

You would blame the actions of a few nuts on an entire religion and its followers?

When it's the leaders of the faith that are the nuts, and that are lying and covering up for the benefit of saving their own skin, and when it's been an ongoing process for centuries, then yes, I would blame these actions on the entire religion. The religion being represented needs to find a way to stop these people from becoming their leaders.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Oh, and probably not my last posting on the hypocracy of the Church, and also likely not the first time it's been mentinoed, but for a religion that pushes their God of "love and tolerance" he sure is a hateful, vengeful God.

Many passages in the Bible talk about how God "smited mankind" or "forced someone to kill someone else" or "created a flood to wipe the Earth" etc etc etc. The Bible also preaches against homosexuality and other forms of love as these are not within the Christian convention.

I've had enough of hearing about the "compassionate, love filled, tolerant" being that Christians call God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join