It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church's 'Burn a Koran Day' brings Islamist threats

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What I find funny about this whole thread, is that everyone was attacking this group of Christians for wanting to burn the Koran (which make no mistake- I think is wrong). But I'm not sure if I saw anyone even care about the fact a group of Islamic extremists threatened murder in retaliation.

This is why I get so tired of the hypocrisy of political correctness. As much of a travesty book burning is, it IS legal. But everyone was up in arms over that and the flood of Christian bashing begins.

Not much of a peep about an even more radical threat concerning murder.

Does anyone care that there is a group threatening murder because their religion is insulted? Or is it just the Christians who are always in the wrong here?

[edit on 8/4/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by muftanan

Nice reply Muftanan.
Well to me it stands out like dog balls!
One does not have to be too bright to
come to the conclusion that the New
Testament and the quran are in fact
opposites. So only one can be the true
path, let me see do i follow the original
religion of love and life or the newer
religion of hate and death? As i have
heard muslims proudly state the
difference between christians and
muslims is you fear death, we love it!
hate

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

uh, i don't support it, that's for sure. in fact, i think this entire thing is all kinds of bad.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i had a book when i was younger, sent to me by my mom, called THE GODMAKERS. it was an expose' on mormonism. at the time i lived in utah. a local bishop of the mormon church came to talk to me, after i had managed to, somehow, ask just a few too many deep questions that their missionaries couldn't answer. so he arrived, scholarly books in tow, including one called ANCIENT TEXTS IN MORMONISM. he asked if i would exchange my GODMAKERS book for his ANCIENT TEXTS IN MORMONISM...on the pretext that i would read his and he would read mine. i agreed.

a month later he came to get his book. i gave it to him, then i asked where my book was. he said they (the elders of the ward he belonged to) had a meeting about it and set it on fire, a good ole fashioned book burning. i remember how upset i was about it, and it wasn't even my "holy book." i realized then, burning someone's book=not a good idea, unless it's your own book. so i understand their frustration although i don't understand murderous frustration.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
addendum to above: obviously, they had purchased copies of the koran, and as is the case with the people who burned my book, they had possession of it and possession is 9/10ths of the law (usually, anyway). meaning it was their property at that point, however, it was on good faith that the bishop return it to me.

same with the book burners in the church who want to burn koran. it technically belongs to the person who purchased it, to do with as he/she pleases, read it, leave on the shelf, give it away, wash it off, write in the margins, highlight it, tear pages out, put sections on the net, toss it out the window, use it for a pillow, burn it, and etc. i mean there are people who use pages out of the bible for everything you can imagine, including burning, toilet paper, rolling drugs, and etc.

the travesty here is that they announced it to the press, with the hopes of stirring up controversy and inflaming muslim people and others, to anger over the issue of defacing other people's religious books. i'm sure muslims over the centuries have done many disrespectful things to a bible, a torah and any number of other religious/non-religiuos texts, you just don't see it plastered on the news.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Well, the topic really about how the church's decision to do what they're going to do got them the Islamic threats they were. As if nobody could see that one coming. It was just an update to their announcing to do this a week or so ago.

I did address what you've mentioned subtly in the OP. Ignorance begets ignorance.

The thread probably got more derailed by discussing the "Ground Zero Mosque" than anything.

Sorry!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Will they be burning the whole thing, or just the one extra chapter that makes it the Koran?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

What I find funny about this whole thread, is that everyone was attacking this group of Christians for wanting to burn the Koran (which make no mistake- I think is wrong). But I'm not sure if I saw anyone even care about the fact a group of Islamic extremists threatened murder in retaliation.

Ohh cry me a river, we can't continue bashing those terrorists who have been bashed enough by FOX news and MSM.

No one condones murder [full stop]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Will they be burning the whole thing, or just the one extra chapter that makes it the Koran?

LOL, so your argument is that they are burning the Bible

Smart

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well it's really more the Torah with the Qu'ran added on.

But essentially, yeah, that's what they are doing.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
reply to post by oozyism

Well it's really more the Torah with the Qu'ran added on.

But essentially, yeah, that's what they are doing.

Here is an "OR" for you:

"OR" the same author

In that sense they are really burning the words of the same GOD they believe in.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by oozyism]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Regardless of what author, it's still the same deity of whom they worship.

Just different chapters. Pick and choose which prophet you take.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I completely agree with you !
You must have missed my posts

For some reason, burning a book is not ok but murder is ?!?!? huh?!??!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i'm sure muslims over the centuries have done many disrespectful things to a bible, a torah and any number of other religious/non-religiuos texts, you just don't see it plastered on the news.

I did see 9/11 splattered all over the news.

I agree that the burning of the books is distasteful. HOWEVER, here in the United States, we protect freedoms which may be distasteful.

We allow neo nazis to have their say.
We allow mosques to be built at ground zero even though though its a big middle finger in our faces.
We allow racist speech.
etc...
we have to protect those more distasteful things so we can ensure we keep our CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS.

What most people here seem to be missing is that these extremists are attempting to hijack our country through fear and intimidation.
DOESN'T THAT BOTHER ANYONE ??????

We can draw a picture of jesus having sex with barnyard animals and it won't even make the news but if we draw a simple picture of mohammed (south park), people are threatened with death.

Why is it ok for these extremists to dictate law in another country based on their religious views? Why isn't EVERYONE angry about this ????

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Oh my goodness. I think that is the first time you and I have ever agreed on a thread.

Anyways, it is true. As I said in another thread, I do feel the building of the mosque near ground zero is insensitive. BUT it is their right since we have the freedom of religion in this country.

And the burning of the Koran is insensitive and, as a Christian, I feel this church in Florida is setting a very un-Christ like example. That is why Christian groups are coming down on them as well. BUT it is their right since we have the freedom of speech and the right to protest in this country.

So while I am morally opposed to both of the above, both groups are within their legal rights.

But now we see a group threatening murder in retaliation. And nobody seems to care. You make some really good points especially about the fear and intimidation angle. The building of a mosque and the burning of the Koran are not violent acts. Insensitive, yes, but not violent or illegal.

The latter threats are, however, and that is not what this country is about.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

i dunno, i'm going to venture a guess that it's supernatural. and i'll tell ya why i think so... .

was having a conversation with a mormon about what they believed regarding god, jesus, satan, angels and what have you. they were of the belief that god was approached with 2 different plans on how to rule over humanity. plan #1 was to rule them with an iron fist, no free will, only fear of punishment and retribution. a control grid, as it were. plan #2 was to rule them by teaching and free will. instruct them in how to be mature in their walk, but joyful in their spirits. allow them enough leeway to make mistakes and understanding on how to correct those mistakes.

god choose the second option.

that's the condensed version of it. i kinda liked the example, so i thought i'd share it here since it fits the difference between old and new testament as well and that's where we're at in this discussion.

the old testament man was ruled by absolute dominance of everyone, as the only option, period. the new testament man is ruled by learning to dominant himself only. it's quite a thinker if you ponder it for awhile.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Very well said !
Seems we are both patriots and love the freedoms our country provides are not willing to allow others to trample on them.

Great posts !!!
FLAGGED !!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

LONG POST AHEAD...

-------------------------

Originally posted by AshleyD

Anyways, it is true. As I said in another thread, I do feel the building of the mosque near ground zero is insensitive.

MY GOD! You people never cease to amaze me!

There's nothing insensitive about this!

Muslims died on 9/11 too. There were even Friday prayers held INSIDE the WTC for ~1500 muslims. Islam didn't attack the US on 9/11. Terrorists did. No one's building a shrine dedicated to terrorists! Mosques promote PEACE and justice! There's 1,209 mosques in the US--they are NOT harboring terrorists. They promote scholarly, moderate views of Islam and provide services for the local muslims. Yes, there are local muslims. They need a place to worship. It's hard to find real estate in NYC, and now they have a chance. Yes, the terrorists of 9/11 were Muslim, but that has NOTHING to do with the muslims who are building this center OR the victims who died on 9/11.

And, it's not even primarily a mosque--it's a community center with a prayer area for muslims. It includes "fitness facilities (swimming pool, gym, basketball court), a 500-seat auditorium, a restaurant and culinary school, cultural amenities including exhibitions, education programs, a library and art studios, childcare services, a mosque (intended to be run separately from Park51 but open to and accessible to all members, visitors and our New York community), and dedicated meditation rooms" (Park51.org). It's like a YMCA or Jewish Community Center. It's open for any and all New Yorkers to use. Honestly, would people rather keep an abandoned Burlington Coat Factory (that no one else has decided to rebuild) or a community center for all to use, promoting tolerance and understanding?

But hey, you know what IS insensitive. The fact that there's a strip club even closer to ground zero than the Cordoba House site. There's a slap in the face of all those who died, but I don't hear about how the "ground zero strip club" dishonors the memory of the victims.

And the burning of the Koran is insensitive and, as a Christian, I feel this church in Florida is setting a very un-Christ like example. That is why Christian groups are coming down on them as well.

AGREED! However, the burning of a Quran and the building of a mosque are 2 opposite things. Burning a Quran is an act of HATE and INTOLERANCE. Building a mosque is a sign of UNDERSTANDING between muslims and non-muslims in the community.

So while I am morally opposed to both of the above, both groups are within their legal rights.

No one's saying they don't have the right. Of course they have the right! This is America--our God-given freedoms are not denied here!

But now we see a group threatening murder in retaliation. And nobody seems to care.

Seriously? Did you not read oozy's reply:

No one condones murder [full stop]

Murder is WRONG no matter the case! No one seems to care because that's OBVIOUS.

---------------------

continued in next post.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by muftanan]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

also continued as a reply to AshleyD

---------------

I did see 9/11 splattered all over the news.

Yes, because it was a tragedy!

We allow neo nazis to have their say.
We allow mosques to be built at ground zero even though though its a big middle finger in our faces.
We allow racist speech.
etc...
we have to protect those more distasteful things so we can ensure we keep our CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS.

I agree we have freedom and all is protected, but how on Earth could you compare mosques to neonazis and racism?! Have you ever BEEN to a mosque? They're places of worship--places of peace! They don't allow HATE, like neonazis and other racists!

if we draw a simple picture of mohammed (south park), people are threatened with death.

Yes, those are the extremists. Mosques are being built to fight ignorance and insecurity among muslims, so that they will not follow extremists. Please don't assume that all Muslims are advocating violence. It was only the few on that 1 particular website.

We can draw a picture of jesus having sex with barnyard animals and it won't even make the news

That's just sick, but anyway, it won't make the news because much of the MSM is busy promoting islamophobia. But hey, I can find some controversies about Christians making death threats over insults of Jesus Christ if you want:

Comedian Russell Brand receives death threats over Christ joke in MTV Movie Awards:

www.starpulse.com...

Editor receives death threats over German Jesus cartoon he published:

forums.randi.org...

Chocolate Jesus Exhibit in NYC cancelled after uproar and death threats against artist.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.foxnews.com...

French Christian group throws molotov cocktails inside Paris theater, burning 4 and injuring 13, over "The Last Temptation of Christ":

en.wikipedia.org...(film) #Protests

Now, what about these threats against Muslims that don't get "plastered all over" the news:

FBI finds pipe bomb used in "possible domestic terror" attack against Florida Mosque

www.aolnews.com...
wokv.com...

Houston Talk Show Host says he "hopes it's blown up" (referring to Ground Zero Mosque) -----where's the outcry over THIS?!

www.chron.com...

There are extremists and terrorists within all groups. These people don't represent Christianity just like muslim extremists don't represent Islam.

Why is it ok for these extremists to dictate law in another country based on their religious views? Why isn't EVERYONE angry about this ????

They're not angry because extremists are NOT dictating law! We're fighting them in Afghanistan and elsewhere to stop them from imposing their views.

Seems we are both patriots and love the freedoms our country provides are not willing to allow others to trample on them.

I'm sure, and no one denies this. But look at it from the perspective of the Muslim minority in the country. There's all the hatred against them, insults at their religion, and protests against their mosques. Heck, the mosque in my community gets vandalized every couple years. These people live in THIS country because there is more freedom here than elsewhere. They're not trying to impose themselves on society. They just want to be left alone like anyone else. They are as patriotic as any other American. They want to believe in the American dream too, but they feel they are being shut out.

-------------------

[edit on 5-8-2010 by muftanan]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muftanan

now THAT was some fancy footwork there. all the right buzz words in all the right places. smoooth. believe me, building mosque at ground zero does not translate to "we want to be left alone", just thought i'd mention that in passing.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join