It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church's 'Burn a Koran Day' brings Islamist threats

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Have you ever seen the BBC documentary called The Power of Nightmares? That's a pretty good theory. It is on YouTube in six parts. I may have posted one video here a few pages back.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Not quite sure I'm getting what you're saying here. Is someone saying the church doesn't have this freedom?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Freedom of speech sure is great. Except you can't rip on Blacks or you're a racist. You can't rip on Jews or you're an anti-semite. You can't rip on women or you're a sexist. You can't rip on your country or it's treason. You can't rip on homosexuals or you're intolerant. You can't rip on just about anyone or it's hate.

But hey, let's all burn Qurans and rip on Muslims and their Prophet. I love me some freedom of speech.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by jfj123

And do you hate them to the point of wanting them dead?

I want them (muslim extremists) to not try to force their beliefs on others and to stop blowing things up. If they can't do this then yes, they should be dead as it must be us or them....if that's what they choose, I choose them.

Or even further expanded, that you hate and mistrust anyone who looks like them or follows the same religion?

Nope, not at all. Only those who wish to kill me and my fellow countrymen. I'm all for a live and let live policy.

I try not to forget what created some of these radical extremists to begin with.

Some of them were created through brain washing and fear. Others simply believe that everyone must believe as they do or die with no exceptions. How do you reason with people like this?

[edit on 3-8-2010 by jfj123]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well freedoms come with responsibility. If it hurts someone else, is it such a good idea? Say this church pissed this radical Islamic group off so badly they blow up the whole town? Killing all the innocent people there, people who weren't even involved in this decision. (That won't happen, but let's just think about that.)

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Oopsies. Double post.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muftanan

seriously muft, ground zero = baddddddddd idea.
don't let people you love or even people you don't love, go there, if they do build it. had someone told me that those towers were going to be blown up, i would say the same thing . don't let people you love or even people you don't love, go there. evacuate the place! ugh.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

i agree with this. that book burning thing was another really baddd pr move.

see, i don't think the people making these decisions that the rest of us have to endure, really care about anybody else.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Why do pretend that Islamic teaching does not call for a religious dictator to rule, ultimately the world?

Here is the quote from your Koran that is often used to justify the caliphate:

" God has promised those of you who have attained to faith and do righteous deeds that, of a certainty, He will make them Khulifa on earth, even as He caused [some of] those who lived before them to become Khulifa; and that, of a certainty, He will firmly establish for them the religion which He has been pleased to bestow on them; and that, of a certainty, He will cause their erstwhile state of fear to be replaced by a sense of security [seeing that] they worship Me [alone], not ascribing divine powers to aught beside Me. But all who, after [having understood] this, choose to deny the truth - it is they, they who are truly iniquitous!"[24:55] (Surah Al-Nur, Verse 55)

A good portion of the Muslim world is currently ruled by some kind of dictatorship or is under religious (Sharia) law.

However I am talking about the more general concept of the rise of the Imam Mahdi, who is a type of counterfeit christ, and fits well the description of the antichrist in the Bible.
www.666soon.com...

Although the mahdi is primarily a Shia concept, the concept is still accepted among Sunni muslims.

We will not accept the Mahdi here in America. So I guess you and your cohorts will have to kill us as you've promised.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

So I guess you and your cohorts will have to kill us as you've promised.

uh, i like my life, such as it is.

having been on total life support in a coma at one point, i can tell ya that being alive with your loved ones is a good thing.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Have you actually read the Qu'ran? Studied it? Or are you taking someone else's word for this?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Have you actually read the Qu'ran? Studied it? Or are you taking someone else's word for this?

Have you? Really?

And why should he have to? Do you suggest all radical muslims read the Bible?

If you don't, please can the hypocrisy!

[edit on 8/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

what bugs me about it is, it seems orchestrated to illicit bad responses on all sides. furthermore, anybody could then do violence to the building and blame it on their favorite scapegoat. it's so bad, if it were any worse, it'd be a full scale disaster.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I'm not posting translastions from a website called 666soon and claiming them as factual and accurate. My question to the poster was and remains valid to the discussion and goes to his credibility if I am to learn something.

Turning the question back around on me is irrelevant. Not going to fly. Nice try though.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Um, what? I'm a little confused by your post. Did someone threaten to destroy the building site?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Wow, I live a few miles from this Church and i'm somewhat surprised I haven't heard much more about this, outside of a small blurb on the news. I haven't seen anyone make connections with the date yet, but the book burning (on 911) also happens to fall on the big USF Bulls/UF Gator football game a few miles away on campus around 1230pm. The book burning will take place after the game. Hundreds of thousands come to Gainesville for every football game - the city is quite extreme about the games, and the atmosphere of SEC football games are typically good ol', right wing, down south,Christian, etc traditions. Many do not tolerate Islam. This of course is obviously not the case with everyone there, but after living here for 5 years it's an obvious observation. Keep in mind that a huge proportion of the city will be getting quite drunk that day for the game. I hope cooler heads prevail and nothing serious happens with the event, especially with any potential islamic threats around the game.

There will be 92,000 people packed into the UF "swamp" between 12 and 4pm that day. Security is usually massive around the stadium, though little frisking and no metal detectors are used. Hope nothing happens.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

nope, but you can imagine that spot is just disaster central to begin with. it's definitely a war zone. heck most of nyc is a war zone

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

Turning the question back around on me is irrelevant. Not going to fly. Nice try though.

Hardly irrelevant.

You can't hold people on one side of a debate to a different standard than you do those on the other side without opening yourself up to a hypocrisy charge.

Let's see you ask people criticizing Christians whether they've read and understand the Bible if you're going to say people criticizing muslims need to read and understand the Koran (or whatever the spelling of the week for that book is).

So, even if it makes you squirm, the ball IS back in your court ...

[edit on 8/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders

Why do pretend that Islamic teaching does not call for a religious dictator to rule, ultimately the world?

I don't pretend. This is what I've learned from my studies of Islam.

Here is the quote from your Koran that is often used to justify the caliphate:

(Too long for my reply, can be found here: quran.com... (Surah Al-Nur, Verse 55)

Ok, not sure what your issue is with this verse. Do you know what a Khilafa/Caliphate is?

The verse is a promise from our God to grant those who believe in Him and do good deeds succession to authority in the land, just as the Jews of the time of Moses, Joshua, and the other Prophets were given authority in their lands. God is expressing His Pleasure at the believers for following Islam, and He says He'll give them more strength. He says that He will replace their fear of being persecuted with security because they worship Him alone, and He warns those who disbelieve that they are being rebellious.

This verse seems very hopeful to me. I'm not sure why it scares you. It was revealed to the Prophet when he and the muslims were forced to leave their homes and were being attacked by the Meccans and their allies.

A good portion of the Muslim world is currently ruled by some kind of dictatorship

That's true and I hope they fall someday. Some of these dictatorships are also puppets of the US. None of these dictatorships are in accordance with Islamic guidelines. There's even a hadith that prophesies that there will be a succession of upright caliphs, then monarchs, then corrupt dictators, and then a return to upright caliphs. Some think that the Muslim world is in the stage of corrupt dictators now.

or is under religious (Sharia) law.

Not really. Some places (like Saudi Arabia) claim to follow Sharia, but if you look closely at their government and courts, they pick and choose, and only follow laws that help keep the royalty in power. So, they don't actually follow the sharia--just a complete distortion of it. The last group that actually followed the sharia were the Ottomans, and even they were corrupt. If you want to see what real sharia was like, read about the 1st 4 caliphs.

However I am talking about the more general concept of the rise of the Imam Mahdi, who is a type of counterfeit christ, and fits well the description of the antichrist in the Bible.

Not really, but you know who does fit the description of the antichrist--the ACTUAL antichrist, known in Islamic traditions as al-Masih ad-Dajjal (the False Messiah). The Mahdi doesn't claim to be God, and he won't be causing evil in the lands. Like the bibilical antichrist, Dajjal will claim divinity and cause destruction to compel people to follow him. Also, Dajjal (antichrist) will confront Jesus (who will miraculously return to lead the Muslims and establish peace in the world).

www.666soon.com...

Hahaha you're scraping the bottom of the barrel now for sources I see.

Although the mahdi is primarily a Shia concept, the concept is still accepted among Sunni muslims.

We will not accept the Mahdi here in America. So I guess you and your cohorts will have to kill us as you've promised.

Boo hoo, I'm sure the Mahdi's so hurt. And, I beg to differ since Jesus will be with the Mahdi, I think fair amount of Christians in America who see the truth will choose to convert (assuming America's still around whenever this happens--who knows, could be another 2,000 years from now). Um, I certainly haven't promised to kill you.

Fearful, much?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I see where you're coming from--with all the anger around the center, there might be some crazy bigot who decides to attack it. However, that doesn't mean the people supporting the center should give up. They've got to stand strong in the face of intolerance. Also, I think once it's built, most of the bigots will get tired and go away. I don't think most New Yorkers care about who prays to what in any building.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join