It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban Copy and Paste.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So you are saying that from now on, only people who have hours of free time are going to post a well researched supported idea? Only threads entirely free of other peoples thoughts may be posted? Honestly ? I mean I love this site, but I dont have eight hours a day to work on it ! Think it through man! Have you any idea how restrictive that would be? Madness... and no... its not sparta... its just madness.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

No, anyone can express their own opinions at any time. It's passing off other people's opinions that is the issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by TrueBrit

No, anyone can express their own opinions at any time. It's passing off other people's opinions that is the issue.

Why do you think there has been a gigantic acceleration in knowledge over the last 25 years??

It's because people build upon previous ideas. I don't think anyone should copy and paste any work from anywhere and make out it is thier own work. That goes without saying.

It has been my experience here at ATS that this really doesn't happen very often if at all. Yes members draw upon sources to either validate their points or to spin the content in new ways perhaps previously not thought of.

If we were to not allow people to bring content in from other sites at all, it would in my opinion ruin the site.

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
From what I see from the original complaint, it sounds a lot like the leftist agenda being pushed through...

In government, the extreme leftists see a few people doing something that they don't like, so they try to push a ban (through legislation) against everybody. So the left winds up pushing their own "morality" in violation of established rules & policies, & everything goes downhill from there.

When the best course, in pretty much all cases, is to leave the "subject of controversy" alone & let the rules & policies be administered with individual responsibility. Calling for a ban on user-content that is already not an actual problem & already "regulated" by the current rules & policies is merely a microcosm of the real problems we face in America (& the whole world) today.

After all, America was prosperous & growing, with the highest standard of living & plenty of potential open for individual growth...Until the government, breaking the Laws & pushing "morals," drove us into an economic & moral black hole that cannot be escaped until we allow people to be self-responsible again. This is all a matter of history, not theory or speculation.

I just hope that the ATS Staff has enough common sense to ignore a call for such a ban & stay on the path that should never be abandoned.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with copy and paste, as long as people don't abuse it. As stated before, it is already against T&C to copy large portions of content.

As far as I know we have the "external text" function....which people do use when using content from external sources, so I don't see why this is even an issue.

People quote others every day in life and this is how we learn...

ATS is for sharing information. Take the copy & paste function out- everyone will be subject to suck things out of their thumbs and we will have very few good threads on here. Everything you learn comes from someone else- other information not stemming entirely from yourself. So, I just don't see the point.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

But surely you understand that an opinion is moot without contextual support. If for instance the key principal of an argument is a scientific formula or some obscure historical refference, then surely pasting raw data or the historical backing for your comments is ok? Or are you suggesting that a person ought to retain ALL the terabytes of information contained in that reference, merely so that one day they can come to a site like this to make an argument?
Also , for the many people who post information as an alert, to draw attention to it, so that debate might begin, therefore spawning original thought, is it the case that you would rather each member devote hundreds of man hours a year to investigation and article writing? Because although this is a worthy goal, I dont know of anyone with a job and commitments like, for instance breathing in and out and living a life, who would have time for that.
Dont get me wrong, I would love to have the time in life to sit and do just that, but I dont, thats reality . Regardless of how much improved the membership might be , it will be exclusive to the sorts of people who havent got jobs, do not need money, do not have families or friends relying on thier presence and support in life. In short the people you are refering to are bitter twisted loners ! Im sorry but if thats the way this place would rather be, then when that requirement comes into effect, you can count me the hell out. I love it here, but I love life more.
Edit to add :
There are already rules supporting original thought in effect here on ATS. I dont think that a further restriction would be healthy for the site, it will in my veiw lead to a mixture of ill informed comments in any given thread, and nonparticipation due to the inability to aquire and present proofs for an argument effectively by members not expert in that field who would otherwise have a valid point to make under current rules.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by TrueBrit]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join