It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US stalls on Sept. 11 trial for 5 at Gitmo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

US stalls on Sept. 11 trial for 5 at Gitmo

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – As the U.S. military prepares for the first war crimes trial under President Barack Obama, its most high-profile case against the planners of the Sept. 11 attacks is stuck in political and legal limbo.

Canadian prisoner Omar Khadr, accused of killing an American soldier during a raid on an al-Qaida compound, is scheduled to go to trial Aug. 9 at the U.S. base in Cuba.

But Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the professed mastermind of the attacks, and four alleged accomplices are still sequestered at Guantanamo without charges. The Obama administration, after months of review, hasn't made a decision on whether to seek a military or civilian trial.

AP News Article

While I was definitely no Obama supporter, one of his main "running" points was the "fix" the situation at Gitmo. While I also could not fathom what that might be, only a fool could not see the problems there.

So where is the fix?

We still have people being held without charges; still trials getting pushed back; still no change.

Where is this change?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Below is the most telling part of the source article .

Lawyers for the Sept. 11 defendants and other observers doubt an announcement will be made before November elections, because moving them to the United States and keeping them in Guantanamo for a military trial are both politically unpopular choices.

Now Obama the politician would have known that the promise he made to close Guantanamo Bay in order to win over his Liberal supporter base was going to catch up with him . Its what myself and any rational person would have predicted the same people that want Guantanamo closed don't want the detainees in there backyard .

Stuff giving detainees captured on the battlefield a trial unless they have committed a crime in detention .

join