It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regeneration done through restimulating irreparable organs or tissues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (July 31, 2010) — A team of NIH-funded researchers has successfully regenerated rabbit joints using a cutting edge process to form the joint inside the body, or in vivo. Regenerative in vivo procedures are performed by stimulating previously irreparable organs or tissues to heal themselves. In this study, bioscaffolds, or three-dimensional structures made of biocompatible and biodegradable materials in the shape of the tissue, were infused with a protein to promote growth of the rabbit joint.

The implications of this are huge.I guess I don't even need to comment on how great this is.

Well as always do I ask people to share what they think about this.I would also like to know how this would effect you guys.

(But on a side note I would like for us all to think about how each of these advancements, that have been seen occurring at an increased rate, show what kind of future we will have.)

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
So they did this on rabbit which is a really good start. But will they be able to do it with humans? If so, then thats a pretty awesome advancement.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I hope they will be able to. Because if I ever lose some valuable brain tissue I would want some more.

This thread has been going real slow.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Wow! This is some seriously progressive sh*t! If human limbs are to one day be regenerated then this must surely be the biggest medical discovery since... well, ever

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
So they did this on rabbit which is a really good start. But will they be able to do it with humans? If so, then thats a pretty awesome advancement.

Herein lies the problem!

Only a very small percentage of animal testing ends up also working in humans.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
people are actually experimenting with regenerative medicine, i just can' imagine it getting the funding some synthetic, dependency generating drug gets.

www.indianahorserescue.com...

regeneration is a cure, a one off, no (less) recurring business. just for the record, unless you sew a severed fingertip (as long as the first joint remains) shut in a child, there's a good chance the finger will regenerate in full. after the 10 birthday, this chance diminishes, though. don't believe me? maybe you'll believe

PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[edit on 2010.8.1 by Long Lance]

new topics

top topics

join