It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if: Chemical powered Throwers are replaced by Electric Weaponry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Another thread on exoskeletons, and mechs: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also, an idea (originally postulated by RogueTechie): Some sort of articulated tail, able to be used for balance (I take it this hypothetical 'skeleton will be able to run pretty fast), and as a firing support (as railguns need a long barrel (very unbalancing), and produce significant kickback). This would create a tripod for firing (tripods being the most stable form of support an object can have), and......well.......it looks badass.
Also, you could put in a cheap recoiless magazine-fed rifle (80-106 mm, according to Rogue) mounted on the shoulder, with, possibly, Starstreak AA missiles on the other shoulder. Have the ability to mount modular weapons systems, and have a nice (but optional) sensors-dedicated package for recon.
All told, the 'skeleton should be 2"-3" tall, and cost no more than around $80,000 (excluding weapons).

[edit on 7-8-2010 by NezPerzeWolf]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Good thread.

I could see Rail-guns make sense from the perspective of naval warfare. The power issues and mobility issues are less apparent mounted on a warship, especially since modern warships are going to electric propulsion anyway.

It could also be attractive for a MBT but power and packaging would be more of a challenge there.

I dont think it'll be replacing conventional small arms anytime soon. I reckon micro guided munitions will be the next big thing there.

www.wired.com...

On the airborne front the transition will likely be from missiles straight to directed energy weapons. Although the Airborne Laser Test Bed funding was pulled the Airborne Tactical Laser (ATL) continues apace and is working.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Is there's Movies, Games, and other fictional stories(other than children cartoons) where all forms of Chemical guns(other than Mortars, Grenade launchers, and possibly flamethrowers) are replaced by Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons(Air-dropped bombs, rockets, and missiles are also helps Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons replaces Chemical guns(other than Mortars, Grenade launchers, and possibly flamethrowers), particularly guided ones) likely because Ballistic vest are replaced by Full Body armor, Powered Exoskeleton, and Mechs(excludes more than 10 feet tall monstrosities)?

[edit on 7/8/2010 by masonicon]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Is this can easily happen by the advent of alternative energy technology like Hydrogen fuel cell?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I see this happening first on navy ships.
Mostly for air defence and short range ship to ship.

I could see remote controlled unmanned USVs with rail guns or particle beam weapons that would disable ships at ranges up to a half mile.

The rail guns by direct impact, and the particle beams by knocking out at electrical on the targets.

These USVs could be high speed surface boats or slower speed semi submersible boats with just a small radar defeating multi sensor periscope that would allow them to pop up and fire there main weapon and disappear.

This type USVs would be great for closing Iranian ports in a war in the persian gulf

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
What's Happen if all forms of the Chemical-Powered Projectile Throwers(minus Mortar and Grenade Launchers) are replaced by Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons likely because of the advent of Powered Exoskeletons, Head-to-Toe Body Armour, and Room Temperature Superconductors as well due to the recurring logic: Chemical-Powered Kinetic weapons are just for dealing with Unarmored Flesh-and-Blood targets even the most high powered ones regardless it's caliber?

Then indirect fire becomes rather tricky, great as directed energy weapons are, they're not famed for their ballistic trajectories.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis80

Originally posted by masonicon
What's Happen if all forms of the Chemical-Powered Projectile Throwers(minus Mortar and Grenade Launchers) are replaced by Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons likely because of the advent of Powered Exoskeletons, Head-to-Toe Body Armour, and Room Temperature Superconductors as well due to the recurring logic: Chemical-Powered Kinetic weapons are just for dealing with Unarmored Flesh-and-Blood targets even the most high powered ones regardless it's caliber?

Then indirect fire becomes rather tricky, great as directed energy weapons are, they're not famed for their ballistic trajectories.

Unless when they are used as indirect fire weapons and/or guided munitions as well explosive weapons, especially air-dropped bombs, rockets, nukes, and grenades and it's launchers; all the conventional weapons are will replaced by Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons

[edit on 23/8/2010 by masonicon]

[edit on 23/8/2010 by masonicon]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bentai22
Being a military veteran myself, and always interested in the newest weapons and armor that the Army was fielding, I don't believe that "energy" weapons will be viable in the field. There are too many variables to consider with these weapons, such as they can't get wet and still operate, the amounts of energy needed to fire them, and most importantly, the cost. They would cost way to much to equip every soldier on the battlefield with one.

The only way I would see directed energy weapons viable would be vehicle based, the way that they are currently testing these weapons that are being developed. They would also be highly specialized for specific purposes such as anti-armor, anti-ship, or anti-aircraft. Anti-personnel weapons will continue to be projectile weapons, as would you rather spend say $1 to kill an enemy, or $.10 which is the approximate cost of a standard 5.56mm round for the M16?

For more items in development for the US Army, check out PEO Soldier linked here:

PEO Soldier

But if Most(if not all) of Infantry are wears Powered armor or Cyborg, Anti-Personnel weapons will switches from Chemical Propelled Projectile weapons to Directed energy weapons or Electromagnetic Projectile weapons

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
just one BIG problem!
EMP wepons. haha

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

I recently came across some information from a Chinese Operative member. this is all I can share at this point without becoming a target: A direct energy concetration sattalite is being tested by The Chinese Academy of Sciences.
If you are a person who understands the value of this info, please reply and I can show you more after a short conversation

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
just one BIG problem!
EMP wepons. haha

I think this can be different story if those Electric weapons(Directed Energy Weapons and Electromagnetic Projectile weapons), Mechanized Walkers, Powered Exoskeleton, Cyborg electronics, and Hover engines(uses anti gravity) uses alien technology?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join