It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Woman Stops Robbery With Faith

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Woman Talks to Robber About Jesus, He Leaves Peacefully

When a man tried to rob a MetroPCS cell phone store at gunpoint in Pompano Beach, Fla., store manager Nayara Goncalves, 20, calmly talked to the man about Jesus and her faith until he left without taking any money.

Goncalves said she doesn't know why she began to talk to him about Jesus.

"I believe it was the Holy Spirit of God that really made me want to tell him about Jesus," Goncalves told ABCNews.com.

There you go. I find it impressive that the woman started speaking spontaneously about Jesus when confronted with a situation that could have easily escalated into something much worse.

Contrast this story to the one from a few months ago, when two guys were murdered in broad daylight after speaking to a man on a public street about Christianity. After a brief discussion about Jesus, the two guys turned to leave, and the other guy gunned them down.

Which I take as a hard-learned lesson... Not everyone who talks about Christianity is a person of Faith. Those who just talk the talk, I think, without walking the walk are frauds who aren't really doing themselves any favors.

This woman in Florida, on the other hand, was actually defending herself with her Faith, and the results were rather miraculous.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

...off topic removed...

Topic....

I think I would have had more respect for Ms. Goncalves if she would have pulled out a 9 and blown the robber away to meet his maker. Faith in God and a CCW is a powerful combo.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by alien]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think she could have just as easily started talking about Superman and he would have left. He probably had to go pee.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Nice story Doc. So rare to hear much good news anymore.

Let's see how long it takes for the peanut gallery to arrive.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
...off topic removed...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
[edit on 31-7-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
He didn't shoot her. That says a lot. Unless it was a toy gun.

Nice to hear the good news sometimes.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Cool great story to contrast with all the usual crap you have to hear day in and day out.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You have to take into consideration the economic climate we are in. It might just be that some people are forced into crime due to their circumstances and have no intention to really hurt anyone. Thus, while admirable to speak about Jesus in the face of fear, the person who was doing the robbing may have never wanted to hurt anyone anyway. I wouldn't say this story is so much based on faith changing the circumstances as it is showing that people will do whatever is in their hearts no matter if Jesus name is invoked or not.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Reminds me quite a bit of Flannery O'Conner's "A Good Man is Hard To Find".
Glad to hear this bit of a tale ended up much better than the ending in Flannery's work.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
...off topic removed...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
...off topic removed...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Mod Note

How about we all just at least try to keep it on-topic...

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
How funny, if I was doing something, well anything and someone started talking of faith to me I would probably leave too.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Oh, I agree, there are people out there who may feel compelled to commit crime when they, themselves, are not really bad people. The fact that the would-be robber was trying to hold-up a cell phone store rather than a liquor store or a bank may be an indication that the gunman was an amateur who was, perhaps, more open to negotiation and reason.

But this story isn't about the would-be robber.

It's about an unarmed woman faced by a gunman — whom SHE didn't know was an amateur — a woman who spontaneously started talking about Jesus without knowing why.

She remarked later that maybe it was the Holy Spirit that had entered her. Well, in point of fact, MANY people talk about the Holy Spirit entering them unannounced in just this way, giving them strength and giving them words that they otherwise were unaware they possessed.

And that's what makes this a very interesting, if not miraculous, story.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/31/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Anyone who can be talked out of a robbery by someone bringing up Jesus was likely already, at least at one time, a Christian and was DEFINITELY already thinking twice about going through with it. My point is that it wasn't her faith that won the day, it was his own doubts about what he was doing.

I don't think there's anything miraculous going on here, just simple psychology.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I think I would have had more respect for Ms. Goncalves if she would have pulled out a 9 and blown the robber away to meet his maker. Faith in God and a CCW is a powerful combo.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by whaaa]

That was a very primitive opinion. Low level of conscience is required to blend those two things. Not even want to know how you can justify your words.

To make it clear, pull out a gun and pray God at the same time is wrong 100%, that is exactly what the terrorists do when they kill americans.

Ms. Goncalves was so brave and she was armed with the most powerfull weapon.....FAITH.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
To make it clear, pull out a gun and pray God at the same time is wrong 100%, that is exactly what the terrorists do when they kill americans.

...umm...pretty sure thats what plenty of Americans do prior to killing people perceived as terrorists...

...indeed what many soldiers for many countries Armed Force do before putting a bullet, bayonet or bomb through someone...

...God gets roped in to a whole bunch of killing...regardless of whose fingers on the trigger...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join