It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody out there? 140 'Earths' found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Anybody out there? 140 'Earths' found

This one is fascinating, it's such a brilliant experiment.

When people talk about the odds of aliens visiting us they don't seem to figure in experiments like this. When we finally decide to send probes to planets outside of our solar system we won't send them at random. We will pick planets that are within the habitable zone of the stars they orbit. This will drastically increase the odds of finding life and it seems obvious other species may do something similar. Not that i am saying i believe aliens have visited Earth but it does help with the odds.

I know many of these planets probably can't support life, maybe none of them can but the fact we are able to detect them is incredible.

For anyone interested here is keplers homepage

kepler.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I wish people in general would stop counting on science to tell us what's what. They've already proven to us that they feed us bits and pieces of their findings anyway.

This is in no disrespect to you OP but if only we would tap into our spirituality more then......all the questions will be answered.

I am still working on that myself so....I'm not accepting any questions at this time

I feel we're relying on science much like the generations before us relied on religions to tell us the truths.

Seek your own. I think it's as simple as that!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wow i wasn't expecting such hatred of science that's quite amazing.

the point is that finding such places is interesting, well maybe for science geeks like me it's interesting but philosophically if we find life it's important and this experiments gives us planets to send probes to, which increases our chances of finding life.

As for the "so what" attitude, well this websites slogan is deny ignorance and that is the best rebuke to such stupidity.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
...off-topic response removed...

[edit on 31-7-2010 by alien]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
We could be closing in on the first two variables of the Drake Equation and this information is especially relevant to one of them:

If ne equals 140 per 150,000 stars that is significant

Rememebr Drake is N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

R - Rate of formation of suitable stars in our galaxy (aggregate number)
fp - Percentage of those stars with planets
Ne -Number of planets per star that could sustain life like earth
fl - Percentage of those planets where life actually develops
fi - Percentage of planets from fl with intelligent life
fc - Percentage of planets from fi where technology develop
L - "Lifetime" of communicating civilizations (years)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Regardless of wether or not we are able to find life someday .....

.... Life has already found us.

We are not the center of the universe.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Wow i wasn't expecting such hatred of science that's quite amazing.

the point is that finding such places is interesting, well maybe for science geeks like me it's interesting but philosophically if we find life it's important and this experiments gives us planets to send probes to, which increases our chances of finding life.

As for the "so what" attitude, well this websites slogan is deny ignorance and that is the best rebuke to such stupidity.

I hope you weren't fully referring to me (although I don't care for science too much) but instead to...... the 'attitude' below me.

I just have much more trust and respect in remote viewers than I do in a white-coat lab people gazing in a telescope who then, goes home and downs a martini.
Not saying there's anything wrong with that but they are just people......seeing something we can't then, reporting on it.
(I almost want to say what Mr Attitude below me said and that's 'big deal' but....I won't)

Again, I much rather hear from remote viewers who 'see' mining on the Moon because for me that touches home a lot deeper than what NASA or JPL reports. (and I know this thread isn't about me but, I'm just sayin'.....)

Peace

Edit to add: Respect

[edit on 31-7-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
I hope you weren't fully referring to me (although I don't care for science too much) but instead to...... the 'attitude' below me.

I just have much more trust and respect in remote viewers than I do in a white-coat lab people gazing in a telescope who then, goes home and downs a martini.
Not saying there's anything wrong with that but they are just people......seeing something we can't then, reporting on it.
(I almost want to say what Mr Attitude below me said and that's 'big deal' but....I won't)

Wow ok then please don't ever use a computer again, or vaccines or modern medicine, in fact plese revert to stone tools and go away. You paint scientists in the same light as moronic religious followers, please get the hell away from this discussion. I mean seriously check the facts this post was about discovering new worlds, why would you distrust scientists over such a thing.

Originally posted by One Moment
Again, I much rather hear from remote viewers who 'see' mining on the Moon because for me that touches home a lot deeper than what NASA or JPL reports. (and I know this thread isn't about me but, I'm just sayin'.....)

Peace

Edit to add: Respect

[edit on 31-7-2010 by One Moment]

Remote viewing has been disproved many times over. It doesn't work in any trial, ever. It's nonsense and if you want to sit here and discount a valid scientific experiment based upon your absolute ignorance then you go ahead. You only expose your own stupidity.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm all for finding other earths, after all, this one won't last forever. Gliese 581 d is a good candidate in my book. In 2009 the scientists that discovered the planet concluded that it is in the habitable zone and may contain liquid water. Too bad it would take so long to get there with the current technology, aproximately 300,000 to 350,000 years. Additional information can be found at it's wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 31-7-2010 by CoFMinion]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
140 new Earth-like planets found that contain land and water and the response is a pathetic "I hate science" thread? this should be the biggest news in the last 50 years!!!!

new topics

top topics

join