It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanism ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I find it odd that many stories about people who describe themselves as anti or without christ usually have a story about education, realization, looking at facts, studying history, and on and on.

Now stories about going the other way - finding the lord - usually entail, i was in jail, i was on drugs, i was a prostitute, i was abused, i was abusive and on and on.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
to clear somethings up..

one does not have to believe in anything to be a satanist. Not even the satan.

www.youtube.com...

"the church of satan has chosen satan as its primary symbol because in hebrew it means Adversary Opposer, one to oppose or question. We see ourselves as being the satans, opposers and accusers of all spiritual belief systems that have tried to hamper enjoyment of our life as a human being" -peter gilmore (history channel video- watch it and THINK)

[edit on 31-7-2010 by 4th horseman]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
satan is a piece of #$%# and can go $#$% himself.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
There are also those people who seek attention. I heard somewhere that most satanists grew up catholic.

I didn't.
I was lucky enough to have grown up with absolutely zero religion shoved down my throat.
My dad's side of the family were contemporary (non-orthodox/very relaxed) Jews and my mom's side was Roman Catholic.
My parents decided to, aside from celebrating the major holidays for familial purposes, let me discover what was right for me.
Never forced me to go to church, Sunday school, temple, etc. in the hopes that I could learn as much as I could about as much as I could without any type of skewed views.
I'm grateful for that.
I didn't exactly choose Satanism, but rather it's philosophies seemed to gel best with my particular disposition.
So...here I am.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

i didn't say fag, i said f*g. that could be any number of nonoffensive things. but anyway i am pretty sure saying just kidding at the end of a sentence makes whatever you said perfectly acceptable.

You're a retarded idiot and you father was a clown, your mother should have aborted you and I will cut your head off.

Just kidding

Also you have no clue about satansim.

Do unto others are they do to you. If someone slaps your face, slap them twice as hard. I disagree with the person who said it was like christianity only opposite - the fact is that, at least lavey satanism, is based on self. Not a god or a devil. Human nature. To deny our basic instincts because of, or to embrace them because of a deity, is silly.

Embrace them because as humans they are our nature.

Being a satanist does not mean ignoring good.. It means ignoring stupidity.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
Satanism is about peace. You believe in God but you reject him. After all, Satan is all about rebellion.

It saddens me the religious institution gets a bad rep...

All in all, it's all bull sh*t. Christian or Satanist, you both believe in fairy tales.

I'm not going to bother trying to correct the above statements.
But I will take the time to simply say, you're wrong.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

The Satan you refer to is a catholic invention conjured up during the inquisition,his appearance is very similar to the horned and good Pagan God Pan whom they turned into the devil to justify exterminating his followers at the time for the real Satan you might want to check out ancient Jewish lore.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Ok, then could you simply explain what being a Satanist is for me, please? Sorry if I missed it, but are you Pagan?

If you are a Satanist, then that means you believe in Satan, correct?

No.
The term "Satanism" was used because it comes from the root term "Ah Satahn" which is Hebrew for "adversary".
It's a concept that predates christianity and, in fact, they (the christians) stole it and assimilated it into their own scare-tactic fairy tales.
There is no anthropomorphic devil caricature in Satanism.
You're making assumptions based on the false image portrayed by the media and religious zealots.
Instead of launching insults, launch inquiries first.
You'd be surprised as to how willing some of us are to have a sit-down and answer your questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 4th horseman

Thank you very much for answering my questions, and providing your link.

I have no idea why nobody else could answer me, as it seems plain and simple, and direct!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

wow I now know that being a satanist means being extrememly short and rude to those who dare be curious. Snarky answers are soooooooo good for open forum discussions. The implied impatience is supposed to make you feel dumb for asking questions. " I already answered that, SNARK SNARK". Well dungeon master, MAYBE you were unclear? Can you really expect someone outside to understand you in a few words? Don't like talking about it, or don't really have good answers? Cool avatar, ...does it really mean anything to you or is it designed to send a shiver through those who gaze upon it. Yes you would like to be feared thats why you try to shock. And then try to seem arrogantly overintelligent, that'll really show em!
I mean really who can be bothered with responding with respect to those who respectfully ask questions. its such a bother.
Really

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4th horseman
to clear somethings up..

www.youtube.com...

"the church of satan has chosen satan as its primary symbol because in hebrew it means Adversary Opposer, one to oppose or question. We see ourselves as being the satans, opposers and accusers of all spiritual belief systems that have tried to hamper enjoyment of our life as a human being" -peter gilmore (history channel video- watch it and THINK)

oh my this is funny. SO, if I want to practice wanton hedonism, dangerous drug use, std spreading promiscuity and questionable ritualistic emotional abuse...I can't just do that without calling it something? I mean really by doing these things under the assumed label of satanist aren't you giving credence to that which you deny?
why not just call yourselves "the people who don't give a f...!" oh right not scary enough. I mean if you take the satanic imagery out of Marilyn Manson, its just like watching a strung out clown. Shock em, yeah! If I surround myself with amulets and charms and such people will naturally avoid me and thats good because then I won't have to deal with my social misadjustments. We'll all go down to halloween express and play dress up and through some form of psycho-somatic dribble convince ourselves that we are not just graduates of D+D.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Now...you are not going to take everything in the Bible as literal are you? What about this? .....
Samuel 15:3..Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all they have, and spare them not; But slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
God loves one and all...Only God has this ability. We certainly do not love the whole world of people, only our small circle of people. This was a human error, thinking that God only loved one race of humans and hated all others. AND took revenge on anyone else who dared to cross the path of the Chosen and not bend to their will or His.
Does this not sound like human behavior instead of a compassionate God who knew from the beginning the weakness that humans would have?
It would have been simpler to go back to the drawing board and start over. So why even bother to destroy humans in a flood, when the DNA strands were still there in Noah.
God is God. A spoken word would have worked. There is something else at work here.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fifth Horseman

Originally posted by 4th horseman
to clear somethings up..

www.youtube.com...

oh my this is funny. SO, if I want to practice wanton hedonism, dangerous drug use, std spreading promiscuity and questionable ritualistic emotional abuse...I can't just do that without calling it something? I mean really by doing these things under the assumed label of satanist aren't you giving credence to that which you deny?

You, are so... "funny!"
first of all For lumping up all these different things... hedonism, overdosing on drugs, spreading sexually transmitted diseases (you have got to be kidding!) AND emotional abuse into the false category of being a satanist. THEN- asking an obvious rhetorical question: "i cant do that without calling it something?" Sure you can call it whatever you want, you say thats satanism I say thats plain Ignorance.

and "dangerous drug use" is... well.. dangerous, and certainly not a Prerequisite for satanism. That has little to nothing to do with it/ neither is just inconsiderate hedonism. or emotional abuse. You can do those things and call yourself whatever you want, doesnt make you anything else.

why not just call yourselves "the people who don't give a f...!" oh right not scary enough.

because satanism is not about not giving a f***. You should try reading into it if you are so curious about it, especially before proving that you dont know anything about it and that you're attempt at learning something of it is by ignorantantly stating your misconceptions waiting for someone to prove you wrong.

If you have some questions try asking them in a not so prick ish manner. especially if you're trying to learn something from someone.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

why not just call yourselves "the people who don't give a f...!" oh right not scary enough. I mean if you take the satanic imagery out of Marilyn Manson, its just like watching a strung out clown. Shock em, yeah! If I surround myself with amulets and charms and such people will naturally avoid me and thats good because then I won't have to deal with my social misadjustments. We'll all go down to halloween express and play dress up and through some form of psycho-somatic dribble convince ourselves that we are not just graduates of D+D.

Actually, one of the major philosophies in Satanism is to follow the rule of law in the particular area you happen to be in. Breaking laws with wanton disregard for consequence creates complications that no one wants to deal with. Laws are set in place with the idea that they keep people safe...personal safety being one of the utmost ideals in self preservation. So, breaking laws that endanger yourself and others...with the possibility of harming someone and bringing major consequence to yourself...how would that possibly fall into the category of "self preservation"?
There's no reason to seek to shock people, that's not at all what Satanism is about. Yes, I'm perfectly willing to admit (much to my own chagrin) that there are people who associate Satanism with rebellion, shock and "being different"...but I can assure you, that that type of behavior is not indicative or even remotely endorsed by the true Satanic ideals. Satanism is about pleasing oneself...not by harming others...not by "shocking" others...and certainly not by harming others. But rather by fulfilling aspects of, and accepting the animalistic nature of humanity.
Following the rule of law (for the most part, as we are all well aware that just because something is a law, it doesn't necessarily make it right or just) benefits the individual, if for nothing else, to prevent unnecessary complications in one's life.
Being "dark" or shopping at Hot Topic and whatnot doesn't make someone "Satanic"...but rather the ideals that they hold true to their heart does.
Not going to lie...a lot of people who are truly Satanists are dark...I'm one of them.
I'm not like that because I wanted to be a Satanist...I don't aim to shock people with how I conduct myself. If it happens, then it really says more about the other person than it says about me.
Yes, I have a few Satanic tattoos...I wear a lot of black (because I look f'n hot in black) and sometimes I even paint my nails black (because I'm kind of metro and I'm totally comfortable with it.) But those behaviors are not related to, or indicative of me being a Satanist. My outlook on life, people, how I conduct my affairs both private and public, my choices of pleasures, my empathy or lack thereof of certain people, my approaches to all of life's little mysteries...that's what makes me a Satanist.
I didn't choose to have these emotions or desires or outlooks regarding life...I am both a genetically unique person and a product of my environment, much like anyone else. I simply have just chosen to accept my animal nature...unlike those out there that I believe have chosen to delude themselves into believing "spiritual pipe dreams". Many of the people who claim to preach tolerance, love and oneness are often times trying to compensate for their refusal to accept that we are animals...we have desires...we experience the full spectrum of emotion...we are born simply to die and anything that happens in between should only serve to make ourselves and our environment a better place.
Satanism, in it's core, is about self-actualization. Placing responsibility and externalizing and giving up your own individual power to some unforeseen force is one of the most heinous acts one can commit. Responsibility to the responsible.
Just because we're human, doesn't make us the top of the food chain...many "spiritual" people seem to refuse to acknowledge that fact.

[note: edited because, yet again, I screwed up the quoting function...shame on me]

[edit on 8/1/10 by Matthew Dark]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Since it being stated several times in the whole page and a half there is to read here and was still obviously missed, let me put this another way.

I, a Satanist, do NOT believe in fairy tales.

Then you're not a Satanist. There are various forms of Satanism. Either way, they believe in some kind of mythical folk lore. AKA fairy tale.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Then you're not a Satanist. There are various forms of Satanism. Either way, they believe in some kind of mythical folk lore. AKA fairy tale.

No, there aren't.
If you want to debate what other people consider "Satanism", that's one thing. But in it's official capacity, there is only one true form of Satanism. There is only one form of Satanism that has become recognized as a religion/theopolitical philosophy and has been annexed into the ARMY chaplain's handbook.
Any other type of "Satanism" is made up by people who are deluding themselves into thinking that they are something that they are not.
There is only one true Satanism.
All others are pretenders and charlatans.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Either way, they believe in some kind of mythical folk lore. AKA fairy tale.

I'd like you to back that up with some evidence.
Just what "mythical folk lore" and "fairy tales" are you referring to?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 4th horseman

I was referring to your video, and maybe I seem prickish is because I hit a raw nerve with you. Just what part of Satanism is based on Satan then? is he/she/it not all those things? DO AS THOU WILT right?
and really to what end does this belief structure lead?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Just what part of Satanism is based on Satan then? is he/she/it not all those things? DO AS THOU WILT right?
and really to what end does this belief structure lead?

*sigh*

I've read through five pages of this, and at least three pages worth of detailed posts which answer this question.

The name only is based on Satan. As has been previously mentioned (several times), the word comes from the Hebrew for 'Opposer', a term which was also used to label the Devil in the Abrahamic faiths.
LaVey chose this word because it opposes the majority in much the same way the organisation he created opposes many of the beliefs the general population have.

And Satanism does NOT advocate a 'do what thou wilt' philosophy. One of the major factors (and the easiest way to understand Satanism) is "Do unto others as they do unto you.' If someone wrongs you, wrong them right back in a more spectacular way. Conversely, if someone is kind to you, be kind to them right back in a more spectacular way.
He also said things like "When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there," and "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
Satanism does promote the pursuit of self gratification but not at the expense of someone else's. Each of us is our own God. Interfering with another's worship of their God is unacceptable. It also tells us to respect the laws of the area we live as they are in place to promote peaceful coexistence (something which, ultimately, allows me to better gratify my needs).

If any of you have questions all you need to do is read the previous posts. The members who have attempted to share their knowledge with you have given a very in-depth explanation to all of your answers and if you bothered to heed what they had said you wouldn't need to keep asking the same questions time and time again.

edit: forgot to reply to your incredibly well informed second query.

[edit on 1/8/10 by JackofBlades]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join