It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI admits probing 'radical' historian Zinn for criticizing bureau

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

FBI admits probing 'radical' historian Zinn for criticizing bureau

rawstory.com

FBI files show bureau may have tried to get Zinn fired from Boston University for his political opinions

Those who knew of the dissident historian Howard Zinn would not be surprised that J. Edgar Hoover's FBI kept tabs on him for decades during the Cold War.

But in a release of documents pertaining to Zinn, the bureau admitted that one of its investigations into the left-wing academic was prompted not by suspicion of criminal activity, but by Zinn's criticism of the FBI's record on civil
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'd hate to now critize the FBI but oh well, here it goes. This is just the tip of the ice-berg. If they did it with Zinn, why would they only stop there? I think most of us on ATS know that the FBI does or at least did this kind of thing and now they are admitting it. I think it now goes without saying, it has happened a lot more.

In fact, would this not mean that the agency has gone rogue? If it is creating its own laws, for the purpose of self preservation, then why not?

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The FBI notes that its investigations of Zinn -- three in total, over 25 years -- "ended in 1974, and no further investigation into Zinn or his activities was made by the FBI."

Zinn had harsh words for the FBI during his academic career. In a paper published not long before his death, Zinn said the best thing the public could do to curb the FBI's powers was to "continue exposing them."

Of the FBI, he said, "They don’t like social movements. They work for the establishment and the corporations and the politicos to keep things as they are. And they want to frighten and chill the people who are trying to change things. So the best defense against them and resistance against them is simply to keep on fighting back, to keep on exposing them."

-Your source-rawstory.com...

yea, thats pretty much the same as whats going onhere, only here, its WAYYYY more broad, and topics discussed here are WAYYY more in depth.
Not to mention this site gets information out to more people than he probably ever did.

This is...Kinda scary.

But as Zinn said- Keep fighting, thats the only way to expose them.

edit- one more thing- from the same source -

"In a document from the Boston FBI office (see PDF file here), an FBI "source," whose name was redacted from the publicly released documents, was quoted as being outraged over Zinn's comment at a protest that the US had become a "police state" and that prosecutions of Black Panther Party members were creating "political prisoners."

POLICE STATE. Yea, aint that true.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Of ATS, I wouldn't really say it is a threat to the establishment, per se. It's more like a niche that caters to people who are already or some-what enlightened.

What would really scare me, is when CNN, MSNBC or even FOX News starts to source ATS for their stories. As I see it, it's not a matter of if, so much as it is when.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
heh ... oh the irony of it all.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The FBI is a cluster. Their job is to investigate and provide findings not to take action on them. Nowhere are they even stating that they have authority to commit the heinous acts they commit on a daily basis.

What is the FBI?
The FBI is the principal investigative arm of the United States Department of Justice. It has the authority and responsibility to investigate specific crimes assigned to it. The FBI also is authorized to provide other law enforcement agencies with cooperative services, such as fingerprint identification, laboratory examinations, and police training.

FBI.gov FAQ

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
In fact, would this not mean that the agency has gone rogue? If it is creating its own laws, for the purpose of self preservation, then why not?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

At this time, it would be counter productive to lump all of government into the label "government", it would be fallacious to lump all of our intelligence community into the label "intelligence community"...

There are tax loopholes...why not legal loopholes for those who don't get caught.

John Q meets "I Don't Give A Damn But You Better."

top topics

join