It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bartering, getting OFF the grid, Mini homes! Oh My!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well I guess this would be my part 3 of the last threads that I have created here.

First, was finding out what true skills you have.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
My second, how to get off the grid, and my story.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
My third. An awesome show I saw that I had to share with those people that were looking for another way out.

Mind you this may not be for everyone, but boy, its a great idea.

Living large: A look inside the tiny house movement.
Given the state of the current economy, a growing number of Americans with ordinary lives are choosing to scale down — way down. They call themselves the “tiny house” movement.

Here is the slide show of these beautiful homes, forget the tent people, we can live like this.
www.pbs.org...

www.pbs.org...

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
normal people having electricity, bath tub, grocery-store around the corner, car then changing to this ? difficult !

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I notice the houses are set up like mobile homes to be pulled by a car or truck and that's why they're so small.

If you're gonna have an automobile to pull your house around then you aren't really off the grid. You might as well just build a more normal sized house so you aren't so cramped, since you aren't gonna haul it around if you truly aren't on the grid.

Romantic idea though.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by againuntodust]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Very cute houses. I like numbers 3/4, 5, and 13/14, with a south facing window, and good insulation. Only thing is, I need a really large, dry, garage, maybe a couple of storage buildings, to store stuff. Too much downsizing.

They would be very easy to heat.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

They say “Great minds think alike”, or was it sick minds,?
Ehh either way, I had the same thought.
There are bigger apartment sized home plans they have, these are what I am ultimately looking to build as they are cheap and easy to heat, light Etc. and the building materials are not bad for that size of a home.
But onto the similar thought, I was thinking of building a durable construction shed to live in while building then after using it as a storage / workshop.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

First time trying to post a vid on here thru' youtube

if it does not work can, search on youtube for 3D Multi-House Layout 15
or try my channel on www.youtube.com/user/svenglezz

Im working on creating the most energy effiecent house possible, using all green (much as possible) way's, using earth-bag walls for 100% water-proof, with hay for additional insulation in colder climates.

I'm figuring for about 5,000 sq.ft. should cost about $20,000 to build the basic shell of it, I do plan to design smaller one's to add and def. post when I get to it.

Would love any comments,
Your Canadian Friend,
Sven

[edit on 31-7-2010 by svenglezz]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by svenglezz

nice video

first thought: i see a fire place with a pipe going through the roof. am i wrong or does a lot of energy (heat) go up through that pipe and heating the "outside" ?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Your impact on the grid is minscule , yes you can tow your house around and later finding a cozy lot to settle upon, people have too much junk stuff that they think and believe is there worth, living without the ego as an identifaction
factor. I did the same with a shed I got for free tured it into a small workshop, I spent some money on it I also put garage door on it I also got for free, just had to cut it down to fit, patio stones were free for the floor. next will be insulation and heating. Think of the money your saving!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yes the fireplace(s) shown are only cosmetic'

Best be the Stone Fireplace, they even have them with cooking and dometic hot water heating, but the cost of this prob. same as the shell of the building.

Then you would need to find someone who could build this type of stone fireplace. Hopefully one day, I know the wife would love.

The main heating will be (water) floor heating with Propane/Gas Boilers (c/w solar water heating to suppliment) and with HRV units for Ventilation requirments to suit codes etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I thought that this was so interesting, I mean having your own space, especially for people that have had to move back with family, and don't want to be in everyone else's space. I'm sure that family always wants to help, and having an idea like this, would be something that you and your family can do together.

My first thought was that it was way to small, but there are hitched trailers, that are sold all the time which I thought would cut down lots of costs. IMO its much harder to try to do most of these things with an existing place, but just to have a project, that can travel, and that you can make your own, I thought was fantastic.

I have a bit of land now, and thought it would be great to build one of these as a space of my own. Plus the loft bed was the part that got me.

Peace to you...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wrote this thread in 2010 and now in 2012 its finally on the rise!!

'Tiny House' trend spreads in US

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is how you live off grid. This is a friend of mine that moved to Costa Rica to be off grid. He found a nice valley near Arenal Volcano that has natural spring water and great soil. He started building his little farm and found out that many people were interested in this type of living. He took what was just his perfect idea of paradise and natural living and made a business out of it. If you ever travel to Costa Rica and want to see and stay at a truly amazing place look him up.

ranchomargot.org...

top topics

join