It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Infidelity Genetic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   

www.unknowncountry.com...
A biologist says that some people are genetically programmed to be unfaithful to their partners. He's found that if one female twin has a history of infidelity, the chances that her sister will too is about 55%, and this is strongest in identical twins, who have the same genes. He studied women instead of men because only about 23% of females are unfaithful. However, another researcher has fond a gene that, when inserted into the brain of a male rodent, can change promiscuous critters into faithful partners.

Researcher Larry Young says, "Our study...provides evidence in a comparatively simple animal model, that changes in the activity of a single gene profoundly can change a fundamental social behavior of animals within a species." He used a harmless virus to transfer a sex hormone gene from monogamous prairie voles into the brains of their non- monogamous relatives, the meadow voles. After the gene transfer, the previously promiscuous meadow voles showed a preference for their current partners.

Genes may be to blame for infidelity
Scientists Find Gene Cure for Cheating Lover Voles
Science proves that love is blind

Ok people read and discuss. Is infidelity really genetic? I think they're full if sh!t but what do you guys think? Is there something to this?

[Edited on 18-6-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I dunno what to make of it coz my older brother is a 'player' i'm an inbetweener, meaning i like relationships every so often but i also like being single and screwing around (my relationships are many but short lived, 7 months max so far), but my little brother has ha the same girl for 2.5 years... so go figure... if it were genetic wouldnt we all be the same?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
[Edited on 2004-7-8 by Teknik]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'd say it's possible, certain behaviors are genetic...

I notice I have a lot of the idiosynchrocies of my mother... Then again, it could just be observation and imitation....

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I dunno...

both of my parents are faithful and true and nearly all of their kids are unruly, promiscuous little heathens. (6 of us)

Under normal situations, I think it has more to do with the atmosphere the kids are brought up in.
As far as my family is concerned, you're guess is as good as mine.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Monogamy...

Is so not natural...We are the only species, on this planet, on the whole universe, that even attempt it...And beyond that, monogamy is what, 100 years old..? I thought the rule, back in the good ole days, was to take what you can handle...If you give one wife an Escalade on 20's, well buddy, you better be able to give you other wives Escalade's on 20's as well...

Shine,
AYHJA

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmm ... i guess me adding to this topic wouldn't benefit anybody due to the fact that I'm a only child ....but for what it's worth I don't think infidelity is genetic. Everyone acts their own certain way ~ I too believe it's the environment the individual is brought up in. Some will give in and some won't ...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

top topics

join