It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbols and words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Many these days do not realize that we live in a world that is both physical and spiritual; plus these same do not believe that words and symbols have meanings, old meanings that have not changed just because people have decided to make them mean something else.

For example; the word gay is used for the homosexual world which is fitting but many do not know that the even in 1936 the word meant...... given to pleasure; licentious ( unrestrained morally or legally).
So the word fits there lifestyle yet it is considered a better description then then the word homosexual which is a picture word that makes people have a mental picture of a morally corrupt person.

But some of the biggest problems that go on is symbols we a surrounded by them daily. One of these great examples skulls which is death is worshiped on so many things these days many send there children to school with this idol on there clothes.

Look at the New Orleans police dept symbol it is Islamic.

But my personal favorite is the so called peace symbol which is in the American Indian beliefs the tree of death and the Norse it was the death rune and the Nazi's it is on the tomb stones of dead SS.
So we have many running around thinking they are professing peace when they are worshiping death.

Many of the symbols of today are evil in nature and are used for witch craft spells .

www.crossroad.to...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I had a glance at your utlra religious link, not just the page you are pointing out to us. I found it to be completely evil, and actually funny.

Thanks, funniest read I have had on ATS today!

edit to add:

I suspected this would be hilarious, based on your witchcraft statement alone. Why would you even care if somebody decides to use symbols for that reason?

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Who are these people who don't believe words and symbols have meanings? Are they people who don't know what words and symbols are? Maybe they've confused the two concepts with other concepts.

Almost anything can be a symbol. Language itself consists entirely of symbols, sometimes they're written, sometimes they're given sounds. Symbols have dominated culture since we were first capable of abstract thought. All it takes is the ability to see one thing and find another meaning for it.

Symbols have no inherent meaning. Now, it's very true that a lot of symbols have interpretations the are shared by the public in general. If you showed a skull and cross-bones to almost anybody and they'll associate it with death. However, because a symbol has no literal meaning it can be interpreted in different ways, like the swastika.

So, even if your theory on the origins of the peace sign was true, it wouldn't really matter if it didn't stand for peace in the past because the current culture has given it a different interpretation. By the way, the peace sign we know today is a relatively new thing and it's derived from the semaphore code for the letters 'N' and 'D,' which stand for nuclear disarmament. You can find this information a lot of places, here's just one.

Lastly, I don't know what dictionary you're getting your definition of 'gay' from where it says it means pleasure that's unrestrained morally or legally. I've never heard it defined that way and it's use in, just to name one medium, songs for the early 20th century don't seem to denote anything particularly hedonistic. Just happy and care free. I think you just have some ax to grind with homosexuals.

new topics

join