It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by crustas
reply to post by Slippery Jim

When things are well done, you are anonymous!

Jim, real network life is more complicated that what you think it is!

No you're not.

Even a proxy server keeps a record of who you are in case you do something illegal via them.

Crustas, you need to understand the lengths the authorities are capable of.

You are not anonymous.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.krio

Really?
Wake me up when they start killing the journalists in mass.

The phrase is "en mass."

Its French.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slippery Jim

Originally posted by the.krio

Really?
Wake me up when they start killing the journalists in mass.

The phrase is "en mass."

Its French.

If they are killing journalists in church, I think things would be pretty bad then also...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crustas

When things are well done, you are anonymous!

Jim, real network life is more complicated that what you think it is!

No you're not.

Even a proxy server keeps a record of who you are in case you do something illegal via them.

Crustas, you need to understand the lengths the authorities are capable of.

You are not anonymous.

You also need to understand how very incapable the authorities often are.
And some people truly are, anonymous, believe it or not.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

And often they are quite capable. Connecting to a proxy and praying that the authorities are inept is not really achieving anonymity on the net. Out of curiosity, how did you go about authenticating that "some people are truly anonymous?"

[edit on 10-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bikeshedding

Probably because there are dozens of botnets sending you spam to your inbox every minute or running DDoS attacks which they are unable to track back to those who control them.

Anyway, the lower case 5 char brute turned nothing, the higher case is in the middle and I have several boxes running a dictionary attack meanwhile.
I'll be posting more logs later.
This is incredibly addictive..

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I'm really interested to see how all of this turns out.

I joined solely at first because of this topic.

If i had any idea on how decryption worked, and what to do i'd try as well.

But good luck to those who are trying!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bikeshedding
reply to post by Ahmose

And often they are quite capable. Connecting to a proxy and praying that the authorities are inept is not really achieving anonymity on the net. Out of curiosity, how did you go about authenticating that "some people are truly anonymous?"

[edit on 10-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

Yes, I didntt dispute that they are often very capable.

but , Like it or not,
there are many people who do some very, very,very 'illegal' things with computers, not necessarily always "bad"..
but still very illegal, and the authorities would love to be able to find them.

But, they cannot.

I myself, used to personally know a few different people from the city,
who would hack into, and do whatever they wanted in certain governmental databases~ and they did it for a long time,
no one ever found them.

They are just 'small time hackers' to ,

Some of these truly "Elite" computer guys (like Assange) around the world,
are in top secret/above top secret databases constantly, ,
with unfiltered access to systems and data that alphabet agencies kill to protect.

People really can, and do everyday..
go completely anonymous, and never be found.

Good guys, and bad guys.

I know the 'PTB" do not like people to be aware of this,
but it is the truth my friend.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Ahmose]

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbowman07
I'm really interested to see how all of this turns out.

I joined solely at first because of this topic.

If i had any idea on how decryption worked, and what to do i'd try as well.

But good luck to those who are trying!

Welcome!
Nice to be amongst you.

I really know just a little about cryptography,
and I wont even bother trying to crack it open.
From the little I do know,
Im pretty sure it isnt gonna happen.

Even if i knew allot more about all of it,
I still think it wouldnt happen. lol

I know a couple guys who are light years ahead of me in this field,
and they seem to share my thoughts..
"nope, not even worth it". lol

Ill just keep the file in multiple (like more than 5) locations until/if it's ever released.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Im no hacker, but I am an optimist.

That said, maybe this has been done. But from my understanding this 256 character password can be upper case, lower case, and numbers. So someone write a program that has the ability to check every possible combination of these, and does so in order, from aaaaa to 99999 or something like that.

Next create a website. On it put every 1000th or so possible password.

Then you download this program. Go to the website. Put in any code on their and let the program run and check a chunk of possible passwords. When done check it off the list. Everyone pitches in and were heroes.

I know to simple, whats wrong?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the welcome!

One thing i do know, though it may not be in cryptology or anything, is that with enough hardworking people, things can get done.

If there were enough people, that were organized, and had split up the decryption process between said people, it could take a fraction of the time that it would take one civilian computer to crack it alone.

Though my hunch is that this is Assange's leverage, and he plans on releasing the key when he deems fit

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by the.krio

A question: did you use only normal characters in those attempts or did you use also all accented characters, like á, à, ã, â and ä?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sbowman07

I wouldn't really trust such a collaboration as it's easily derailable.
What we need is processing power, open code that runs the attack and realtime logs accessible. And even then it might be a derail by those who host it, but the chances of that might be minimized.
For example, it's possible to create a banner in Flash that runs the bruteforce attack in the same manner as my bash script but in map-reduce-over-the-web style.. There might even be suitable AES implementations for that..

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Only normal characters, no punctuation.
I'll post the exact scripts used later today if you need them, but IMO it would be better if others wrote them from scratch.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

What proxy? You don't need a proxy for that!

Proxys are a myth, unless i possess them all and configure them as anon proxy:-).

Knowledge and experience is the answer for this, don't let anybody hype you about this!

Study and you will find.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by the.krio

No need for scripts, I'm not trying to decrypt the file, it's too hot in here to leave the computer always on.

Thanks anyway.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was not bitten by a radioactive spider.

I was not exposed to Gamma rays.

I did not fly a shuttle into a cosmic ray storm.

My super power must be a mutant thing.

Because I can see a venal, despicable company man when I see one. I can smell the stink of the factory that produces the Blairs and the Bransons of this benighted world.

Can't you?

Grow up, people. If this guy were not a part of the Punch and Judy show he would have been toast long before you ever got to hear about him.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Randolph Hill

I'm not following your logic.

Why isn't cryptome.org and John Young long gone then? Mr. Young provides the same services as Assange and Wikileaks....

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

You have no idea of their surveillance abilities.

If you have downloaded the file they know who you are.

I've downloaded it, renamed it, changed the file extention, burned it to disk and given a copy to someone I can trust.

I suggest you do the same.

Sorry, renaming the file and changing the file extension will not do much at all, the file hash will still be the same. If you really need to hide the file, your best option is to encrypt it again, this will change the file hash and give you another layer of protection. Trust me I have been in a situation where I have had to encrypt files and give them to someone I trusted also. Having a army of people looking in your home for them is never a fun thing. It's always best to be ready and protected from it. Also files can be recovered from computers after they have been deleted too. I always use Boot and Nuke I would also recommend full disk encryption to anyone that rather not have their data looked at, tho you can be court ordered to give up the passphrase.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldita
Im no hacker, but I am an optimist.

That said, maybe this has been done. But from my understanding this 256 character password can be upper case, lower case, and numbers.

I've been following this thread and the story with curiosity and the thought occurred that whilst the file may be ultra-encrypted and require a password, that may be the weakpoint.

If you wanted to ensure that the file remained safe even under the threat of interrogation or search, you wouldn't want to leave any form of the password to be stored digitally or written down to be found by those seeking to squash the release of the file's contents.

That would suggest that the password would be something that is easy to remember to the encrypter. It could even be something that is in plain-sight so to speak, yet overlooked for being too obvious. A bit like using the word 'password' as a password.

As the proverb goes, "wise man hide leaf in forest"

[edit on 11-8-2010 by citizen smith]

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join