It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
ok Thanks Freedommusic. I will try this I have work alot so I have time to do a whole lot of nothing and try a tonof passwords

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I know when you try to open the file it will say "Invalid Signature".
Wikileaks uses globalsign.com tp issue its certificates.

Digital Signature
Information encrypted with a Private Key which is appended to electronic data to identify the owner of the Private Key and verify the integrity of the electronic data. Digitally Signed shall refer to electronic data to which a Digital Signature has been appended.
Private Key
A mathematical key which is kept private to the owner and which is used to create Digital Signatures or to decrypt electronic data.
Public Key
A mathematical key which is available publicly and which is used to verify Digital Signatures created with the matched Private Key and to encrypt electronic data which can only be decrypted using the matched Private Key.

www.globalsign.com...(US).pdf

So are we missing the digital signature from Globalsign. Are they the ones who will help release this if something happens? They don't hold the private key but they hold the second half the digital signature?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noah23

Originally posted by Faiol
www.democracynow.org...

Assange just said about the file:

it might be important assuring that important part of the history do not disappear

Why has this been over-looked. This thread needs to be bumped back to the front page, or a new one created, for that quote alone. It's certainly a line to fuel us conspiracy theorists, I mean come on, it implies something big. I assume by 'history' he means our collective history and not just Wikileaks. This really could be 'Insurance' considering TPTB have stepped up their surveillance and pursuit of WL and it's personnel.

yeah I think your right, I was thinking of what it might mean and I though maybe it was intel on going into Iran or North Korea but I just remembered it wrong so I don't think that's it. The reason I thought that is because what kind of history disappears? I would think only future history. It looks a little wrong too I mean I'm no english dude but this part "That important part of the history do not disappear. like I said I'm not a english person but shouldn't that be does not disappear?

[edit on 3-8-2010 by sandman441]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

What he actually said: But, you know, one could imagine in a similar situation that it might be worth ensuring that important parts of history do not disappear.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeATSuser
What he actually said: But, you know, one could imagine in a similar situation that it might be worth ensuring that important parts of history do not disappear.

ah ok that makes more sense. yeah that makes it really different.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by sandman441]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
AMY GOODMAN: Let me ask you about something that Declan McCullagh has written on CNET. He said, "Perhaps as a way to avoid additional legal pressure or [extrajudicial] punitive measures on Assange and Appelbaum, a few days ago Wikileaks posted an intriguing 1.4GB file simply titled 'Insurance.' It’s encrypted, meaning that if visitors are sent it in advance, Wikileaks would have to release only the key or passphrase to allow the contents to be read." Can you explain what this file is, Julian Assange?

JULIAN ASSANGE: Well, I think it’s better that we don’t comment on that. But, you know, one could imagine in a similar situation that it might be worth ensuring that important parts of history do not disappear.

www.democracynow.org/julian_assange_responds_to_increasing_us

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I noticed a few more things.

Bradley Manning Wikileaks PGP Keys
An oddity appeared during this Bradley Manning key search on Google. The search produced a mysterious string,. "3923d2781a569a8da2c824cbdb06336e" ...
cryptome.org/0001/manning-wl-pgp.htm

That poped up on web search "google bradley manning".
A search for "3923d2781a569a8da2c824cbdb06336e".

Brings up this page.

gpg-keyserver.de...

So I went to the gpg-keyserver.de and looked up "manning"

gpg-keyserver.de...

pub 2048R/CE022889 2010-01-29

uid Bradley Manning
sig sig3 CE022889 2010-01-29 __________ __________ [selfsig]
sig sig3 AA95C349 2010-01-29 __________ __________ Daniel JB Clark (pobox.com...)

sub 2048R/CA585F3B 2010-01-29
sig sbind CE022889 2010-01-29 __________ __________ []

I searched the name "Daniel JB Clark".

dclark.us...

Daniel Joseph Barnhart Clark
Free Software Sys Admin, Activist, and Owner of Freedom Included: Selling Hardware that respects your freedom!

Interesting site.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by schuyler
The size of the file puzzles me. It's just so huge.

There can be multiple explanations for that:
a) the file contains a hidden operating system, to improve security of the data included.
b) it contains 30 minutes of video

Or it will be one of the biggest trojan horses ever launched just waiting to be activated. LOL...no seriously...its possible. Would be hella-funny too.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by black cat

Guys? I know we like a good conspiracy but I think BLACK CAT hit the nail on the head. It's an archive of documents. Not necessarily new info but a backup of all or some of their files. What better way to ensure their survival, if the site gets taken down, than to have a copy on thousands of computers across the world? Pretty clever disaster recovery plan...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
JBA2848, I tried out the strings, they all produce errors ...

I agree, it makes sense that this file could be everything they have to date, compressed posted for "insurance" and safe keeping.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
www.democracynow.org...

go to This weeks Top Stories and listen to Julian Assange.

lot of disinfo agents on ATS

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ItIsMe

Julian Assange is a hacker who is the front man for collecting secret data from anonymous sources. He collects secret encryption software and data and hands it off to crackers who the reverse engneer the software that breaks the encryptions. Chinas attack on Google is what allowed Bradley Manning to see things he never seen befor. Hidden files in pictures, pdf files, word documents so on. Once the cat was out of the bag it was to late to hide it anymore.

www.waset.org...
www.forensicfocus.com...
www.nsa.gov...
www.iaeng.org...
www.cse.msstate.edu...

The Navy has programs like Foremost that alllows them to read it.
foremost.sourceforge.net...

Foremost is a console program to recover files based on their headers, footers, and internal data structures. This process is commonly referred to as data carving. Foremost can work on image files, such as those generated by dd, Safeback, Encase, etc, or directly on a drive. The headers and footers can be specified by a configuration file or you can use command line switches to specify built-in file types. These built-in types look at the data structures of a given file format allowing for a more reliable and faster recovery.

Originally developed by the United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations and The Center for Information Systems Security Studies and Research , foremost has been opened to the general public. We welcome any comments, suggestions, patches, or feedback you have on this program. Please direct all correspondence to namikus@users.sf.net.

Heres a good site.
www.opensourceforensics.org...

And the attack on Google by China was done through Adobe and Java hidden files.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
@ those still attempting to "crack" this. lol

That is a pretty good phone interview , ItisMe.
I checked it out yesterday, and as always... I am impressed by the man.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EspyderMan

could be very well be an file with divx movies in it...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
english.farsnews.com...

Expert Cautions about Intelligence Trap in WikiLeaks 'Insurance' File

TEHRAN (FNA)- An Iranian IT expert warned here on Wednesday that a mysterious download file posted by the WikiLeaks website, labeled as 'Insurance', is likely a spy software used for identifying the information centers of the United States' foes.

Interesting point this expert raises.

Perhaps wikileaks is just a front for data mining where the truth seekers come from ?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
How can it be spy software if it's not executable?
2nd line

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
How can it be spy software if it's not executable?
2nd line

lol, "spy software" has already been thought of by many ATSrs...
just more un-needed paranoia.

and you are right...

also...
There are soooo many "truth seekers" in the world...
Nothing they could do, could "get us" all. lol

The attempt would be futile.

and anyone, who cant see by now, that Assange and WL are on your side...

well, I dont see much hope for you cats.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Funny, many ATS "experts" have also come to that conclusion....
"Expert"?

Please.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
How on earth he can say something like this? "is likely a spy software"??
I personally believe 'proff' to be smarter than that, it sounds ridiculous to me: either he's just surfing the wave of interest this thing has generated to auto-advertise him and blah blah or, for some reason (conspiracies goes here), he's just trying to keep others out from downloading and backing it up.

Really, i don't think any serious "expert" would come out of the blue and say something like that on an AES256 encrypted file, if he's serious and knows his stuff.

Only one single person i could accept to come out and say that, and he is Bruce Schneier: read his today's blog post about the file and you'll forget the troll.

PLEASE NOTE WHAT HE SAYS:

In any case, some of the details might be wrong. The file might not be encrypted with AES256. It might be Blowfish. It might be OpenSSL. It might be something else. Some more info here.

Having Bruce Schneier saying this and pointing to us via cryptome should make everyone of us all VERY proud of our thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
and anyone, who cant see by now, that Assange and WL are on your side...

well, I dont see much hope for you cats.

It's not impossible for it to be a "spy file" and as you say there's so many truth seekers out there it would be much easier to find them all using this one file and all the other files on wikileaks. Your computer is only as safe as your knowledge allows it to be
Why can't it be a ploy setup by TPTB to make out it's a trustworthy whistleblowing site when infact it's working against you all ?

Failing that, as for the whole "insurance" if it was so important to use as a threat why hasn't assange released it already ? You seriously think TPTB haven't got the file cracked already with their unlimited resources they possess ?

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join