It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Can someone post a link to an actual torrent(or u2u me) of this file? It has been a few days since it came out, so I am not going to trust a search for it. Mods, if this in anyway violates the T&C in anyway, I apologize, and feel free to remove this post.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilkata

leakmirror....__._/file/straw-glass-and-bottle/insurance.aes256

This is a direct download.

From wiki here.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I know this may be irrelevant but in a time of boredom I decided to just drag the insurance.aes256 file into VLC and it played for a few minutes until VLC crashed. There was no video but around 13-15 seconds in there was a chirp from the audio but nothing else. Not sure if this helps but I found it strange that this file would actually play when no other file types returned the same results.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone of the rules in regards to posting information on hacking on abovetopsecret.com. According to the ATS Terms and Conditions:

2b.) HaXor: You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. You will also not link to sites that contains discussion of such material. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Emphasis mine.

Going forward, please remember that we cannot discuss how to "break" this file open. We're only allowed to discuss the topic at hand, which is the posting of the encrypted document itself, and what it may contain.

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMNOTWHOITSAYSIAM

You can achieve the same result with virtually any file. Try a any .exe or .bin

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
concerning the straw glass and bottle...

following the release of "Collateral Murder", Defense Secretary Robert Gates condemned the video leak by saying it was like looking at war “through a soda straw.”

following the release of "The Afghan War Diary", Julian Assange responded to Gates criticism by saying "This, if you like, is the beginning, the end and the middle, this is the whole context, with some exceptions, of the Afghan war, and if anything can give us some kind of intellectual understanding, surely this is it."

OR perhaps another way of saying it is that the release of the Diaries it is not just the soda straw but the glass and bottle as well..

just a thought..

ps. best of luck julian

pps. for some smart and sane writing on all of this leaking check the following link
powerofnarrative.blogspot.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Well thats ATS shooting itself in the foot.
What more is there to discuss apart from cracking this file?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I've read most (but not all) of this thread so far, so perhaps it's been mentioned in 23 pages but...

let's assume the "insurance" file is a "deadman's switch" or whatever the term is. If so, it is in "their" interest (whoever "they" ultimately are) to keep Julian Assanage alive.

This may indeed be a "Sword of Damocles" as already mentioned by others. But this makes it a double-edged sword, doesn't it? I mean, it increases the incentives of the enemies of "them" (again, whoever "they" are) to kill Assanage so the info gets released. Because whenever there are a "they," there are enemies of such "they," correct?

Even if this increases Assanage's "insurance" against TPTB, it enhances the danger to him from any number of possible others -- enemies of TPDB, rogue psychopaths who just "want to watch the world burn," disturbed people tormented by curiosity, etc. etc.

Any way you cut it, Mr, Assanage is playing a very dangerous game here. But I guess he already knew that...

[edit on 8/2/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata
Can someone post a link to an actual torrent(or u2u me) of this file? It has been a few days since it came out, so I am not going to trust a search for it. Mods, if this in anyway violates the T&C in anyway, I apologize, and feel free to remove this post.

here is the one you want.
Insurance Torrent

This torrent passes a SHA1 checksum verification.

Various checksums for the original file on WikiLeaks:

MD5: 94a032849b1f446e3a1ed06cf4867a56

SHA1: cce54d3a8af370213d23fcbfe8cddc8619a0734c

SHA256: 15bac5e815a38a998f4705945bd41975b736e7c723cfe851b9ed0e50c49316b4

SHA512: 1279dc1e09a06dbc60cfbe9b1e66ada0e1e5de1df5b37a2f9f532b60db07b75ca953765dd24d347328f0ae417bd66478b22693be538104cefb6cc64ae2b7cc5c

WHIRLPOOL: 1612d44096ec0b3a28239682164dfa584e743cce1a724404b84ef20910db61c39fb0fe9c0448d93d2fa7dd29b042d20fbfc1dcb93106ffb73bb581eae00e3833

Results of the checksums for this torrent:

MD5: 94a032849b1f446e3a1ed06cf4867a56

SHA1: cce54d3a8af370213d23fcbfe8cddc8619a0734c

SHA256: 15bac5e815a38a998f4705945bd41975b736e7c723cfe851b9ed0e50c49316b4

SHA512: 1279dc1e09a06dbc60cfbe9b1e66ada0e1e5de1df5b37a2f9f532b60db07b75ca953765dd24d347328f0ae417bd66478b22693be538104cefb6cc64ae2b7cc5c

WHIRLPOOL: 1612d44096ec0b3a28239682164dfa584e743cce1a724404b84ef20910db61c39fb0fe9c0448d93d2fa7dd29b042d20fbfc1dcb93106ffb73bb581eae00e3833

They match!

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It's a dead mans switch, but not literally for Assante's life. Nobody will die here, this is the real world, not a movie. What could happen is Wikileaks being force to be shut down pending a federal subpoena and legal quagmiring. If that occurs, the file is released with the pass code.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

It's a dead mans switch, but not literally for Assante's life. Nobody will die here, this is the real world, not a movie. What could happen is Wikileaks being force to be shut down pending a federal subpoena and legal quagmiring. If that occurs, the file is released with the pass code.

So you think its unrealistic to imagine that his life might be in danger?

People have been killed for a lot less. Kids get shot on the street for the sneakers on their feet or the change in their pockets.

And fevered imaginations will run wild with this one...

[edit on 8/2/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It's possible that Wikileaks recieved this file encrypted from a somewhat trusted source and has put it out there to see if anyone can crack it. And it wouldn't be the first time they've utilized creativity to verify authenticity, etc.

It could also be some damning but not over-the-top info that is put out in concert with an intelligence agency to test the AES256 encryption in the wild. Think about it, Wikileaks is the perfect vehicle for such a test ... public, mysterious ... whoever breaks it WILL post the unencrypted info.

As for it being actual "insurance" ... I doubt it. An insurance policy can only be used once. After that it's useless - and especially being out in the wild like this one - there's the possibility it will be triggered by someone who breaks the encryption.

It's just not good insurance because TPTB understand that if Assange has a legitimate accident, it's activated. If someone cracks it, it's activated. So why even worry about it. It just has to be dealt with as fallout.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Does anyone else think that the letters of dissent from supposed "wikileak" volunteers are anything other then CIA counter-intel?

I only say this because Assange has quite the background and obviously a lot of credibility around here with his intentions.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

It's possible that Julian Assange could be murdered, in the same way that it's possible that he is murdered by an experimental asteroid tractor beam. In the real world, the non-conspiracy theorist-Illumanti are out to kill you-reptillian-9/11 termite bomb- moon landing hoax world, you will find that the government's intelligence agencies (while they have been involved in their share of political killings) have little reason to assassinate a known political figure. This isn't how the government operates. They will do what they always do, in the real world, they will subpoena and open him to a deluge of legal issues. they will try to punish him by forcing him for the next 1-5 years in a chain of court appearances, house committee investigations and bad press.

Thugs killing kids for sneakers do not operate the same as the government, though they do seem to often have the same IQ range.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Here seems to be the one thing I don't get. If you think wikileaks is legit... think again. They are running deliberate disinformation on their own account (aka their official website).

http://__._/wiki/WikiLeaks:Advisory_Board

Wikileaks advisory board is an actual farce. It has 8 or so individuals who all have wikipedia entries, some have iMDB entries, and some even legitimate looking links but the stories detailing them do not add up (for example: we have an australian broadcaster who was "knighted" and directed a bunch of movies but when you click on their iMDB link they have nothing about the individual). To say that this is simply a hacking "showcase" would be an understatement. Wikileaks, or the CIA or whomever has made fake people seem real by planting disinformation all over the net.

Then you have this...

www.daily.pk...

"WMR has learned from Asian intelligence sources that there is a strong belief in some Asian countries, particularly China and Thailand, that the website Wikileaks, which purports to publish classified and sensitive documents while guaranteeing anonymity to the providers, is linked to U.S. cyber-warfare and computer espionage operations, as well as to Mossad’s own cyber-warfare activities."

www.wired.co.uk...

"A few weeks later, in January 2007, John Young, a member of the Wikileaks advisory board and the founder of cryptome.org, an online depot for leaked documents, corporate rumours and government conspiracies, left Wikileaks, accusing the group of being a CIA conduit. After the split, he published over 150 pages of emails sent by members of Wikileaks on cryptome.org."

Even more disinformation? I think not. Why would asian intelligence agencies be reporting this?

All I know is that Julian Assange is a dangerous man. He has been part of cypherpunks for a long time and has an innate deep knowledge of security breeching. I honestly fear for somethings I am posting right now. I am only doing it because I believe that I should not be afraid to type this kind of information.

This is a full on Psy-Op on the American people. Pretty crazy huh? I wonder if anything will be done about it.

I am prior service military. I worked on the intel side of the house. I know that makes me not much in the big leagues of the intel world but I definitely grasped an understanding for how it works. Especially when it came to psy-ops because they were so pivotal in our counter-insurgency strategy.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I don't think so.
Theres tons of crap on the net,
and you are just finding what you agree with, and copy/ pasting it here.

that's a fail.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hope I'm not repeating something already presented, but regarding the name Straw Glass and Bottle :

Ever had Chianti wine? It comes in a pear-shaped glass bottle - the fatter, bottom portion of the bottle is covered in straw. This type of (Italian) bottle is called a FIASCO. In the 1500s a public office was established to "certify the capacity of fiascos [with] a lead seal applied to the straw covering."

en.wikipedia.org...(bottle)

and from dictionary.reference.com... -
fi·as·co:   
1. a complete and ignominious failure.
2. a round-bottomed glass flask for wine, esp. Chianti, fitted with a woven, protective raffia basket that also enables the bottle to stand upright.

Origin:
1850–55; < It: lit., bottle < Gmc ( see flask1 ); sense “failure” from It phrase far fiasco to fail, lit., to make a bottle, idiom of uncert. orig.

—Synonyms
1. disaster, catastrophe, debacle, flop, bomb.

Incidentally, in 2007 Thomas E. Ricks published a book Titled Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005.

www.amazon.com...=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=159420103X&pf_rd_m=A TVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02JFMDQZVDJ688NSMDE7

Eh?? Can I at least get a star for effort?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Salted__Þsïó^9ÚúHS[mÂ?4b /

This is codeing from the file.
en.wikipedia.org...(cryptography)

In cryptography, a salt consists of random bits that are used as one of the inputs to a key derivation function. The other input is usually a password or passphrase. The output of the key derivation function is stored as the encrypted version of the password. A salt can also be used as a part of a key in a cipher or other cryptographic algorithm. The key derivation function typically uses a cryptographic hash function. Sometimes the initialization vector, a previously-generated value, is used as the salt.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nonamousely

This is a full on Psy-Op on the American people. Pretty crazy huh? I wonder if anything will be done about it?

So how does psy-ops work, since you have experience in the matter?

Do you get a flood of brand new posters making accounts just to push an agenda or discredit people? Because thats whats tends to happen here a lot.

Some event will happen, (or say, an election or an oil spill or something) and then for several days or weeks there will be a whole lot of brand new members who come on and out of nowhere start pushing a specific ideology.

Oh, like BP is a great company, you know. Just whatever line they are being paid to push.

You familiar with that technique at all?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sjrily

Awesome man I think your spot on.

In regards to Assange and his life, personally I think it makes sence to have some sort of insurance as he is very high profile, these leaks are hurting the US and he would know about David Kelly and other political assasinations.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join