It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Num1Skeptic
reply to post by misinformational

When decrypting a file you need to specify a file extension, one doesn't just pop out. It looks like another encrypted file underneath. I am assuming this second file won't be as easily cracked.

Not necessarily - Depends on the encryption and, more importantly, the means to decrypt.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
True, but in this case we are not lucky enough to get a header file.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedommusic
There is no file header ...

Just binary code ...

So it is a hashed code that is meant to be run through a specific app, something custom built?

I am computer savvy, but definitely not hack savvy.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
AFAIK, TrueCrypt-encrypted volumes are intended to be without header: you either know the password or not, in fact TC itself can't tell you if you have inserted a bad password OR the file isn't a volume.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If it's a hash algorithm, it's almost certainly not reversible.

The possibilities are endless...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Multiple layers of encrypted files within files sounds a little convoluted. Why do that? Could it be that the passwords for successive layers will be slowly disseminated thru the web -- Perhaps in response to perceived threats?

All of this really kind of stinks to me. It doesn't feel right. How do you know that you aren't being monitored by the NSA for just downloading that file? I doesn't matter how careful you think you are, they can trace you.

Just be extra cautions because these people don't play games.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yea, w/ TrueCrypt is asks for a pass if you try to mount it ...

I tried a few passwords and it says "Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume."

So it if is a TrueCrypt volume, (which is a good guess IMHO) we are back to guessing passwords again.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Password hint?

Wikileaks stole most of their startup documents via TOR using Dan Egerstad's man-in-the-middle exit node vulnerability.

It appears that Wikileaks continues to use this method to collect confidential documents via TOR.

It appears Wikileaks uses a TOR connection for people to upload documents to them.

The new spokesman for Wikileaks is a TOR expert.

TOR is known as an ONION ROUTER.

[edit on 8/1/10 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wait a second, this is a file on a pubic web site that is available for public download.

Just because it is aes encrypted doesn't make guessing a pass unlawful.

I can post a public file that is aes encrypted also.

It is not unlawful.

It would be military encryption in which case we'll never guess it ...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
> TOR is known as an ONION ROUTER.

That is a good clue but we don't know what type of encryption the inside file is ...

I just tried "ROUTER" in TrueCrypt also "ONION ROUTER"

no go ...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

And Tor is not by any means invulnerable. They have security issues like any other technology. Bottom line - don't trust your life on anything connected thru the Military grid (i.e. the internet) . They created it. Remember?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedommusic
Wait a second, this is a file on a pubic web site that is available for public download.

Just because it is aes encrypted doesn't make guessing a pass unlawful.

I can post a public file that is aes encrypted also.

It is not unlawful.

It would be military encryption in which case we'll never guess it ...

You and I don't get to decide what is lawful anymore. The goons in D.C. do. Remember they don't need a warrant to surreptitiously search your home, your bank accounts or your computer. In fact, if they feel you are a big enough security risk, they can "disappear" you and no one will ever know what happened to you.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
Julian Assange is recognized as a brilliant cryptographer - But even without being such, I could produce an encrypted file that would be a complete an utter waster of your time to attempt to open.

But, please, don't let logic deter... Carry on...

Probably, while people are looking at this file, the real hidden treasure lies somewhere, unnoticed.

The first thing we should do when we want to hide something is to make something else look like it's the real information, and we can use several encryption methods, applied one over the other, but the real data can be hidden with steganography in some perfectly innocuous photos or even family videos.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A personal theory...

I think this is going to sit around for a few years. Long enough for wikileaks to have earned the trust of 99.999 percent of the population.... even most of the most die hard tinfoil hatters. Then when the time is right, the disclosure that so many on this site long for, will come. UFOs are real, aliens are visiting us and always have, all the worlds religions are a lie and have their basis in alien visitation throughout history.... etc. And most of the populace will believe it. As a society we are purposely being pushed to be more distrusting of our governments for this purpose! To"Of all the means I know to lead men, the most effectual is a concealed mystery." oh we're sorry we kept the truth from you , but we were just trying to protect you and keep society from crumbling... blah blah blah. yes i will get flamed for this i'm sure, but oh well. *takes his tinfoil hat off to let his head have a breather*

edited for punctuation and grammar

[edit on 1-8-2010 by cepheusdraco]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Since Jacob Appelbaum appears to be the main Wikileaks tech expert, it would be reasonable to guess that the encryption software is something that he is very comfortable with.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Ahmose

ahem....or install Ubuntu and remove one more PC from the rule of Windoze.

This box i am typing this on is the latest build of Ubuntu.

Freedom of the internet will one day have to face up to Microsoft (and even worse, Apple with their "buy your apps only from us at a premium price" business model) needing to be "dealt with".

couldn't agree more with ya, mate.
However , it seems too many people are afraid of "leaving window$".

I have tried on multiple occasions here on ATS to get people to "see the light"..
but most of them are, apparently ok with window$ controlling their PC's. lol

I even offer help through the entire process..
but nobody here seems to care.
they are 'happy' with windoze.

god forbid...
people have to accept a little change to better things.. lol

ONION does seem to work..

but just as i expected...
it is not going to be that easy... lol

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Would anyone who has decrypted the file one layer please upload it somewhere for us who have problems with openssl (me and maybe others) can take a look at it and try to hack it. (not sayig I can but someone else might)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
> Tor employs cryptography in a multi-layered manner (hence the original onion routing analogy), ensuring perfect forward secrecy between routers

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smack

How do you know that you aren't being monitored by the NSA for just downloading that file? I doesn't matter how careful you think you are, they can trace you.

Just be extra cautions because these people don't play games.

Who cares!?

I for one, do not care..
not in the least.

If you want to live in fear of fascists.. by all means.. go for it!
But not everyone lives in fear of these retards.

Newsflash: If they want to trace you, they will..
no matter what file you have downloaded or not..

Who gives a $***?

this is exactly what they want.

I for one, will not give it to them.

They want me,
then come'a'knockin! bitches. lol

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

The first thing we should do when we want to hide something is to make something else look like it's the real information, and we can use several encryption methods, applied one over the other, but the real data can be hidden with steganography in some perfectly innocuous photos or even family videos.

Maybe there's even a Wikileaks Enigma Machine

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join