It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deliverator93

Originally posted by dudez

Originally posted by misinformational
Julian Assange is recognized as a brilliant cryptographer - But even without being such, I could produce an encrypted file that would be a complete an utter waster of your time to attempt to open.

I couldn't have said any better

Oh, I totally agree. I just hoped that what I found was a genuine leak of the key. It wasn't. The waiting game continues.

I would be extremely surprised if there weren't multiple layers of security applied... Would you expect anything less from a cryptography expert?

That being said - I would try a leaked key as well.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have noticed that people are getting a smaller download (200 mb or so) and the normal one that is around 1.4 gb. Could it be possible that the smaller file has the password in it for the 1.4 gb file, or vice versa?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
$ openssl enc -d -aes256 -in insurance.aes256 > out.7z
enter aes-256-cbc decryption password: ONION

The resulting file is not a 7zip file ...

Not sure what it is.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedommusic
$ openssl enc -d -aes256 -in insurance.aes256 > out.7z
enter aes-256-cbc decryption password: ONION
The resulting file is not a 7zip file ...
Not sure what it is.

I already tried this password in lowercase and it was giving me a bad decrypt... however "ONION" seems to be correct:

openssl enc -d -aes256 -in insurance.aes256 -out ramdisk/insurance.dec -pass pass:ONION

No errors!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yea, but what is the file?

I can't tell ...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by freedommusic

Odd. I am going to run some tests on this file I just finished downloading it. I doubt I will come up with anything but it is always worth a shot.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Num1Skeptic]

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Num1Skeptic]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
ONION probably means many layers ...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedommusic
Yea, but what is the file?

I can't tell ...

Well, could it be a truecrypt volume?
That password seems correct btw.. or openssl would put out the usual "bad decrypt"..
So it looks like they wanted it to be decrypted? I wouldn't have choosen a password like that!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
ONION did work! I will take a peak at the produced file and see what I can come up with. However, I think there will be multiple layers.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm not following, if you've found the password (how did you know it was ONION?) then are you getting a file dump or what? Are you able to open that file with an hex editor?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I looked at the file in vi but it is just binary and or more encryption ...

I honestly don't know.

I saw someone post the word "ONION" in quotes earlier on in this thread so I figured what the heck and it worked ...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
I'm not following, if you've found the password (how did you know it was ONION?) then are you getting a file dump or what? Are you able to open that file with an hex editor?

More to the point and if so - what is the file extension?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
So far I tried to open it in:

1) 7zip
2) quicktime
3) zip
4) bzip tar
5) gzip tar

no go ...

link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

Originally posted by jlafleur02

Originally posted by above
reply to post by jlafleur02

Your first download has failed probably due to high server load. The second one is correct, if you want to be sure use a torrent to download it.

No the initial download prompt screen asking me if I wanted to download this file stated it was 214 mb. If a file fails to download due to server load it would report that operation failed.

I have 2 files on my computer 1 is 214 mb from a successful download that matches the file size that was reported by my computer when the download started. the second is 1.38 gb which is the same as the size reported when that download started.

No, your file just did not finish.
It happened to allot of people who did not get the file via torrent.
(as suggested).
Very simple.
One file you have is complete, the other , incomplete.
trash the small one.

also..
anyone with half a brain...
will transfer this file to some external media and "put it away",
and not just leave it sitting in their PC's HDD. lol

but if you use window$~
I feel sorry for ya.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Ahmose]

Ok on the first download attempt, I prompt for the download to begin. The little box came up that estimates the time to complete transfer and a progress bar. on the bar it said 4.2 mb of data transfered out of 214mb. the bar went along until the end came. there at that time it said 214mb out of 214 mb transfered. I remember this because I thought the file was in the gigabyte range. Later I found out that it was the wrong file or wrong size. All that I am saying is my computer downloaded a file that was 214 mb and there where no errors.

link   
reply to post by misinformational

When decrypting a file you need to specify a file extension, one doesn't just pop out. It looks like another encrypted file underneath. I am assuming this second file won't be as easily cracked.

link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

As i previously stated, i think this is some encrypted volume or such, but something doesn't fit with it: if i would have to choose a password then i would use one serious hell of a password, unless i would like the file to be decrypted, but if this is the case, why multiple layers of security? Would it be possible for such an hidden message starting with "ONION" and subsequent passwords follow a logical meaning composing a sentence?

This is pretty xfiles to me, any other takes?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
But what is the file's header?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It does look like another encrypted file ...

Any ideas?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

ahem....or install Ubuntu and remove one more PC from the rule of Windoze.

This box i am typing this on is the latest build of Ubuntu.

Freedom of the internet will one day have to face up to Microsoft (and even worse, Apple with their "buy your apps only from us at a premium price" business model) needing to be "dealt with".

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
There is no file header ...

Just binary code ...

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join