It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02

Originally posted by above
reply to post by jlafleur02

Your first download has failed probably due to high server load. The second one is correct, if you want to be sure use a torrent to download it.

No the initial download prompt screen asking me if I wanted to download this file stated it was 214 mb. If a file fails to download due to server load it would report that operation failed.

I have 2 files on my computer 1 is 214 mb from a successful download that matches the file size that was reported by my computer when the download started. the second is 1.38 gb which is the same as the size reported when that download started.

No, your file just did not finish.
It happened to allot of people who did not get the file via torrent.
(as suggested).
Very simple.
One file you have is complete, the other , incomplete.
trash the small one.

also..
anyone with half a brain...
will transfer this file to some external media and "put it away",
and not just leave it sitting in their PC's HDD. lol

but if you use window$~
I feel sorry for ya.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
While I love and admire what Assange is doing, the following explanation occurred to me earlier:

Lately there has been alot of talk that he is a CIA/NSA/etc plant. By posting this Insurance file, he is clearly making it look like he is trying to keep some threat at bay, most likely intelligence agencies and governments, which could totally just be for show to kill off those rumors.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata
Lately there has been alot of talk that he is a CIA/NSA/etc plant. By posting this Insurance file, he is clearly making it look like he is trying to keep some threat at bay, most likely intelligence agencies and governments, which could totally just be for show to kill off those rumors.

Then he is a fool.

Foreign intelligence agencies and their US counterparts are fully capable of decrypting these files, and any may have motive to either release the decrypted files, or the key, just because they can!

This "insurance policy" has a very brief time before it expires.

This all applies only if you are willing to believe that this was actually put out as "insurance".

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
To begin at the beginning:

I have been a fan of ATS for only a short time. And have read many posts on this site. I work nights and heard about this site by listening to George Noory on Coast to Coast AM, while driving to work.
This is my first time posting. So If I do something incorrect, please let me know. I take constructive criticism well.
Alas, I digress!

If I were more acquainted with this site, I would know how to copy and paste the posts of which I am referencing. Hopefully, in time; I will be as astute as other participants on this site.

Now to the point:
I went to the Wikileaks site and looked at the properties of the "insurance" file.

leakmirror....__._/file/straw-glass-and-bottle/insurance.aes256

The "straw-glass-and-bottle" started me thinking. As it did with some other members.

"straw... the last straw... or the straw that broke the camel's back"?
"glass... through the looking glass or that the middle east is a great glass producing region." Or perhaps the lyrics to an old Irish folksong "The Parting Glass."

Fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!

"bottle... to bottle up... as in the definition of bottle up...hold back; keep; keep back; restrain; suppress."
Or "let the genie out of the bottle."

These are just thoughts... any feedback is appreciated...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gwirioneddau

Welcome aboard. Your post was good. If you wanted to quote a bit of the source you linked to, simply copy and paste a snippet inside the "external" source tags (you simply click the "EX" icon on the reply page to access those tags).

However, i would like to mention once again:

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks
Straw Glass and Bottle = Fiasco

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone who missed this brilliant little gem of a post:

Scroll back up, click on the link he provided to Wiki, put on your hat that helps you make abstract cognitive connections, and prepare to be blown away.

Just about every single bullet point on that Wiki page provides a reason to make you stop and think: Is Assange really smart enough to create that many layers of encoding into a single word strand? If so, he could very well be the most gifted encryption expert to ever walk on Earth.

If you follow the link that was provided, it brings up the following on Wiki:

In English the word fiasco means an absolute, abject or utterly humiliating failure. It may also refer to

* fiasco (bottle), a traditional Italian straw-covered wine bottle
* Fiasco (book), full title Fiasco: The American Military Adventure In Iraq, by Thomas E. Ricks (2006)
* Fiasco (novel), a science fiction book by Stanislaw Lem (1987)
* Fiasco (L4 clone), an open-source L4 microkernel family microkernel operating system developed at TU Dresden
* FIASCO, the name used by very early versions of PSPP.
* FIASCO (image format), acronym of "Fractal Image And Sequence Codec", an image compression method [1]

* Fiasco (fMRI software), software for analyzing functional MRI data
* Fiasco (band), a noise rock / math rock trio formed in Brooklyn in 2005
* Fiasco, a fictional car model featured in Martin Amis's Money (novel)
* Fiasco (role-playing game), a game designed to create a Coen brothers-style story

I am not usually so aggressive in getting a message out. But i think that the above quoted member spoke something very important far too softly.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

No, I mean it like in this scenario:

He is working for, say, the NSA, and this file is just(as this thread proves) to 'prove' that he isn't working with them, and is actively trying to fend them off.

Again though, I tend towards trusting wikileaks until there is good reason not to, this is just an idea that occured to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I found this on a google search:

W8FK40F81JB9F83JCC85JD39S9G6K3F9K4J2F8S0C85LA2D2T0B8N5B6H1K3​ X5C3B0U2DJWI3KLFI5L7P10A3CJE492D04JV4KA123F0KLAWIVOIF3UV4JS9​ 5HWKJG03VKNFCR55Y478CN73CNYRX3R38RCN3RH3RJHM934MJRY734DMR738​YNXD3R46RT4CFN36XMRT5VBUI906B8U8UT347XYNER7Y3XR32XNE3C48543N​ MVCRT89NF45YG378

This is what I have been given. Now to wait and see if it works. If I disappear from the internet, well, I guess it did!

slashdot.org...

edited to fix formatting and dupe text.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by deliverator93]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
D93,

well done, I was just about to mention that.

Did anyone try it yet on their downloaded "insurance" file?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Philbin
D93,

I don't have a Linux distro handy to try it, and hence no OpenSSL. Any other takers?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by deliverator93

D93,

I don't have a Linux distro handy to try it, and hence no OpenSSL. Any other takers?

Just tried.
No go.

However~
Any of you who wish to,
can simply download a version of Ubuntu, and run it from the CD without installing anything, and play around that way.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

D93,

Just tried.
No go.

Damn

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I tried but to no avail:

openssl enc -d -aes256 -in insurance.aes256 -out ramdisk/insurance.dec -pass pass:W8FK40F81JB9F83J...
bad decrypt
8197:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:evp_enc.c:330:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I found this on a google search:

W8FK40F81JB9F83JCC85JD39S9G6K3F9K4J2F8S0C85LA2D2T0B8N5B6H1K3​ X5C3B0U2DJWI3KLFI5L7P10A3CJE492D04JV4KA123F0KLAWIVOIF3UV4JS9​ 5HWKJG03VKNFCR55Y478CN73CNYRX3R38RCN3RH3RJHM934MJRY734DMR738​YNXD3R46RT4CFN36XMRT5VBUI906B8U8UT347XYNER7Y3XR32XNE3C48543N​ MVCRT89NF45YG378

This is what I have been given. Now to wait and see if it works. If I disappear from the internet, well, I guess it did!

slashdot.org...

edited to fix formatting and dupe text.

Julian Assange is recognized as a brilliant cryptographer - But even without being such, I could produce an encrypted file that would be a complete an utter waster of your time to attempt to open.

But, please, don't let logic deter... Carry on...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
Julian Assange is recognized as a brilliant cryptographer - But even without being such, I could produce an encrypted file that would be a complete an utter waster of your time to attempt to open.

I couldn't have said any better

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dudez

Oh, I totally agree. I just hoped that what I found was a genuine leak of the key. It wasn't. The waiting game continues.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dudez

Definitely.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by deliverator93Oh, I totally agree. I just hoped that what I found was a genuine leak of the key. It wasn't. The waiting game continues.

That was a good find, the most interesting bits around this whole thing from when it started i would say..
You know what?
I wouldn't be impressed at all if this encrypted file is nothing more than an encrypted container with hidden volumes inside.. in fact i'm starting to think it could be plausible: so after discovering the first key you then would need to discover the correct one to access the real data.truecrypt docs

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Bwahahahahaha! They have got to have their tighty whitey's in a twist over this one. (Although I kinda see Rumsfeld as the leopard print manthong kinda guy) They must hate that someone else is playing their game............and playing it pretty darn well atm.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join