It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 14
150
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Just a quick thought I just had whilst outside having a smoke, and was thinking about this.

People are wondering why the file is so big, considering it is just meant to be incriminating documents etc.

Well think of it from another viewpoint for a minute. Assange is a convicted hacker that has created several computer programs. Maybe, and this is a bit of an out-there thought, but maybe, just maybe, the "insurance" file is actually an encrypted program. If/when Assange is taken down, the "key" is released, and the thousands upon thousands of people that have downloaded the file enter the key, which then starts the program.

And the "insurance" file turns out to be a program that is designed to "hack" into Government systems, effectively bringing down Government systems. With so many thousands of people having downloaded this file, it would turn it into a nice little "brute force" hack attempt. That would then be his "insurance" against anyone that tries to take him down. Depending on who goes after him, depends on what "key" is released, which then commands "who" the program goes after.

A bit of an out-there theory, but not entirely implausible. And when you look at the size of most games/programs that are released these days, 1.4Gb isn't really at all that big, or different.

Just my thought's on what it could possibly be.




posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2People are wondering why the file is so big, considering it is just meant to be incriminating documents etc.


It could very well have a video or two in the file along with documents.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol
 


I did indeed.

It's a collection of essays authored by Assange in 2006 detailing conspiracy.

In the first essay, Assange asserts that "authoritarian power is maintained by conspiracy". A bold statement to be sure. From there, Assange continues by creating an analogy to "terrorist conspiracies as connected graphs". He seems to be asserting that for conspiracies such as 9/11 to succeed (necessary to maintain authoritarian power), little needs to be known by only one entity. Instead the conspiracy may succeed through the web of conspirators (I assuming he's stating that there are indeed a very large amount of conspirators maintaining this authoritarian power).

Ok - That's only the first page of these essays...

I'll be analyzing these for some time.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by misinformational]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational
 


no problem ... my english sucks ...



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
reply to post by Faiol
 


I did indeed.

It's a collection of essays authored by Assange in 2006 detailing conspiracy.

In the first essay, Assange asserts that "authoritarian power is maintained by conspiracy". A bold statement to be sure. From there, Assange continues by creating an analogy to "terrorist conspiracies as connected graphs". He seems to be asserting that for conspiracies such as 9/11 to succeed (necessary to maintain authoritarian power), little needs to be known by only one entity. Instead the conspiracy may succeed through the web of conspirators (I assuming he's stating that there are indeed a very large amount of conspirators maintaining this authoritarian power).

Ok - That's only the first page of these essays...

I'll be analyzing these for some time.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by misinformational]


For me, this is HUGE... I'm creating a new thread dedicated to it now.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by misinformational]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
What ever is on the file will have to be right out there to make it worth while.

Off all the stuff they have released over the the last few years really none of it has been earth shattering revelations. No governments have been brought down, no corporations have been harmed by any leaks to date.

Like the last leaks based around ground reports the only people to be affected were likely the informants etc based in Afghanistan



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
Just a quick thought I just had whilst outside having a smoke, and was thinking about this.

People are wondering why the file is so big, considering it is just meant to be incriminating documents etc.

Well think of it from another viewpoint for a minute. Assange is a convicted hacker that has created several computer programs. Maybe, and this is a bit of an out-there thought, but maybe, just maybe, the "insurance" file is actually an encrypted program. If/when Assange is taken down, the "key" is released, and the thousands upon thousands of people that have downloaded the file enter the key, which then starts the program.


Interesting thought, but not likely. I opened the file in Notepad++ to see for myself what the header of the file looked like. It has the SALTED__ header, which indicates that it is indeed a file that has been encrypted with openssl. No big surprise there, given how many people have looked already, I am sure that any incongruities there would have been revealed already.

Since the file is an ecnrypted file, by unencrypting it, you would still end up with just a file, albeit unencrypted. Now that file could be a program, but it would not autoexecute... you would have to run it. I doubt too many people would run the app without virus checking it. People in the IT industry, like myself, would probably even go so far as to turn off our wireless receivers and unplug our network connections to sever from the internet.

Anyway, it is an interesting idea that it could be a "doomsday" virus to target certain agencies, but I personally don't think that it very likely.

I suspect that the larger file (1.5 GB) is a collection of images and videos. The smaller file (214 MB) is more cables and such.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think this site was posted before but

cryptome.org...
towards the end there is a few things that I don't understand.

The security watchword is: don't ever expect infallible security, that is always snail oil. The intelligence watchword is never trust an intelligence source, they are all unreliable. The classification watchword is never trust the highest classification, that is bullshovel to dupe those who believe only they have access.

The sysadmin watchword is ... lay low, log everything, copy, replace with a fake, tell no one especially another sysadmin who will rat you: l'enfer, c'est les autres.


anybody know what that is/means? there is nothing on the site that explains anything. The sentance before that is just about how there were probably 3 versions, 1 to the dupes, 1 to the public and 1 to wikileaks.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandman441

l'enfer, c'est les autres.




a translation of this may prove useful

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jacktherer]


edit: quick babel fish search l' hell, c' is the different ones

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jacktherer]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktherer

Originally posted by sandman441

l'enfer, c'est les autres.




a translation of this may prove useful

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jacktherer]



didn't see that, I didn't write it just copied it from the site



I think it's french and a babelfish translation said it was

l' hell, c' is the different ones

[edit on 31-7-2010 by sandman441]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
"Hell is the rest", or "hell are the others".

Second line.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktherer

Originally posted by sandman441

l'enfer, c'est les autres.




a translation of this may prove useful

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jacktherer]


edit: quick babel fish search l' hell, c' is the different ones

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jacktherer]


I get "Hell, it's the other"



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
yeah I don't know I just kinda threw it in babelfish and that's what I got. and the post above yours has two other meanings and I don't know much about french.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Someone with the correct software should try these out. Even if it doesn't work it can't hurt to try. For them to post something on the internet, however deeply encrypted, they must understand the possibility of it becoming DEcrypted.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
You're putting too much thought into it. Please re read the context:


The sysadmin watchword is ... lay low, log everything, copy, replace with a fake, tell no one especially another sysadmin who will rat you: l'enfer, c'est les autres.


Literally it's translated as "hell are the others", but it's merely another way to say "trust noone".

EDIT: On a different note, I've been following this thread with much interest but a question arises: what would you (or anyone) do if you find a way to decrypt the file? On one hand you'll have access to the information, on the other if you made the password public Assange and Wikileaks will lose their "insurance".

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Radiobuzz]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by brill
 


That encrypted file hangs like a veritable Sword of Damocles over the U.S Government and perhaps others too.




Mr Julian Assange has a real penchant for drama .



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
You're putting too much thought into it. Please re read the context:


The sysadmin watchword is ... lay low, log everything, copy, replace with a fake, tell no one especially another sysadmin who will rat you: l'enfer, c'est les autres.


Literally it's translated as "hell are the others", but it's merely another way to say "trust noone".

EDIT: On a different note, I've been following this thread with much interest but a question arises: what would you (or anyone) do if you find a way to decrypt the file? On one hand you'll have access to the information, on the other if you made the password public Assange and Wikileaks will lose their "insurance".

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Radiobuzz]



Point duly noted and you raise a good question. I think if anyone manages to decrypt it the password certainly should not be distributed via e-mail, instant messaging, text messaging, or phone calls. And it should only be told to very trust worthy people who have a history of keeping secrets under pressure.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
You're putting too much thought into it. Please re read the context:


The sysadmin watchword is ... lay low, log everything, copy, replace with a fake, tell no one especially another sysadmin who will rat you: l'enfer, c'est les autres.


Literally it's translated as "hell are the others", but it's merely another way to say "trust noone".

EDIT: On a different note, I've been following this thread with much interest but a question arises: what would you (or anyone) do if you find a way to decrypt the file? On one hand you'll have access to the information, on the other if you made the password public Assange and Wikileaks will lose their "insurance".

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Radiobuzz]


I would do the same thing he did.. release the DATA from the file without saying where it came from claiming a reliable anonymous source and then not release the key.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   


Couldn't help myself being a hard core Wiki & Assange supporter




posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpvskyfreak
 


Excellent. They did the same with Obama's image and we all know how well that has worked out.

Hope Change.... Truth?

Who's truth? ... Please, download the encrypted files if you haven't already!




new topics

top topics



 
150
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join