It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Is Not That Far From Indonesia's Sharia Law..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Australia's then Federal Treasurer Peter Costello made this comment as reported in a November 2005 article in the Herald Sun: ISLAMIC extremists wanting to enforce fundamentalist Sharia law should get out of Australia, federal Treasurer Peter Costello said yesterday. In a significant hardening of the Government's rhetoric, Mr Costello declared Australia would never be turned into an Islamic state.

That said by Mr. Costello, I suppose it depends on which Aussie you speak to whether they agree or not. I have an acquaintance who is in the movie business in Australia. He did special effects for some of Mel Gibson's 'Road Warrior' movies. He did special effects for 'Chariots of Fire.' I get from him that some Australians are still fiercely independent. Some Australians could move to California and feel right at home, right away.

The distance between Brisbane, Australia and Jakarta, Indonesia is 3373 miles, or 2931 nautical miles if you are made to walk the plank and have to swim. Though they say that those great white sharks make that nautical distance seem like it is doubled.

Indonesia is said to have the largest Muslim population in the World (last I read, Detroit has the largest Muslim population in the United States). Indonesia is where Obama received his primary schooling. Indonesia is where Obama had his standards as a young man sucking up culturaal distinctions like the biggest sponge found on the Great Barrier Reef.

Let's say that 2931 nautical miles is not all that daunting given the vacuousness of the Pacific Ocean. In a poignant way, Australia and Indonesia are like next door neighbors. So near, yet, so far, far, far away.

Sometimes I ask myself why Muslims leave a place like Indonesia for Austrlia. I mean, if a Muslim wants Sharia Law, I'm almost positive there is more than enough Sharia Law to go around in Indonesia to fill any Islamic need. Why go to Australia?

Then, again, why do Mormon missionaries travel all around the world? Why do missionaires of all faiths go to the remotest corners of the world?

I wonder about how Australians feel toward Islamic 'missionaries' who've come to their outback to spread Sharia Law. Do Islamics in Australia make Australians feel like aborigines being converted by the missionaries?

Another thought: I once asked a lady in Australia is she ever went to dinner at an Outback Steakhouse. She had never heard of an Outback Steakhouse. She was wildly amused when I described the popularity and the ambience of Outback Steakhouses here in America.

I wonder if some day there will be Outback Steakhouses in Australia.

Along with Sharia Law?

And do Islamic missionaries ride bicycles from place to place?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

What was that post for???

5 year old news....

Australia is tolerant but will never allow another religion to impose on our values and Sahria law will never be accepted here because "all" here are equal, men and women...

As for steakhouses, we have the best steaks and ours aint dyed red to make them look fresh, they are fresh...

One steakhouse I go to the steaks are so big they reckon they
"cut off the horns, wipe its butt and put it on the plate"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

If this is quoted from an external sight, can you please supply a link? Also, what are you feelings on this article?

IMHO, Aussies will never allow any type of sharia law in this beautiful country. Anyone trying to implement it should be red carded and deported or jailed for crimes against the state.

Australia needs to start making all new citizenships, especially from cultures that don't appear to assimilate into Australian culture, P-Plate citizenships that carry a set of ongoing stipulations that must be met in order for the citizenship or residency to remain valid.

IRM

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well hopefully they can do a better job than christian missionaries earlier efforts in outback Australia.An outback steakhouse is called a pub here and you will find one in everytown and if the Islamic missionaries want to start cycling around this country they had better start now because its a friggen long way to anywhere.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Ummm. No. We will not have Sharia law. Never seen an Indonesian Missionary either.

But all this talk of steak is making me hungry now

InfaRedMan - I agree about the lack of assimilation here. I 'immigrated' from N.Z, and although it wasn't much of a stretch, identify myself as an Aussie and live the Oz lifestyle. My home country is still a place I love, but choose to live here, in Australia. You actually bring up a valid point with the P plate idea.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
An Aussie with two black eyes walked into a pub.

The barkeep said, "Who gave you those?"

The Aussie retorted, "They don't give you these, mate. You got to fight for them."

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It's not Che Guevara's 'Motorcycle Diaries,' but I suppose it'll do in that part of the world................

Cold Beer and Crocodiles: A Bicycle Journey into Australia (Adventure Press) [Paperback]
Roff Smith (Author)
www.amazon.com...

Amazon.com Review
It's not every day that a fellow decides to pack in a good job, pack up his saddlebags, and set off by bicycle to make a circumferential journey around Australia. In 1996, that's just what American-born Time magazine correspondent Roff Martin Smith did, though; as he explains, he'd been living in Australia for 14 years but didn't really know the country, and he "felt no emotional bond to it." About to turn 38, a few pounds over his ideal weight, and untested as a distance bicyclist, Smith faced up to considerable odds, but he survived to tell the tale.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Mate, Aussies won't accept Sharia law....The few extremist Immans that start to get riled up get a huge flogging in the MSM (to the point where regular Muslim people have to constantly defend themselves).
Most Muslim people are non extremist and I have never had some one of Muslim faith try to convince me their beliefs are the way to go unlike other religions, when I was living in a house, 7th day Adventists, Jehovah's Witness', and some Christian group were the ones knockin' on my door trying to convert/recruit me, now I live in apartment I don't get these lovely visitors

Most Aussies would probably be of the opinion 'if ya don't like our laws GTFO'

[edit on 31-7-2010 by nonelikeithot]

[edit on 31-7-2010 by nonelikeithot]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Australia is over 3,000 miles from Sharia law? Well to put that in comparison, it's a lot closer to cross the entire continental United States, about 2,500 miles from NYC to LA, and look at the massive ideological differences that exist between Coney Island and Huntington Beach.

With even less mileage as a buffer do you think the residents of Cleveland are going to start to love tractor pulls, because the championships are held only five counties away in Bowling Green Ohio? No that is just not going to happen because the cultural differences are too great, in this case urban and rural.

The cultural differences between the Muslim World and the Western World are even greater. Australia is a westernized nation, part of the Commonwealth and primarily externally culturally influenced by North America and Europe. In case the Islamic world has not noticed, Australia is also fiercely independent.

It's just not going to happen.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I will not presume to speak for you Aussies in your affairs.....

But I will say, 'Never say never'!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Very well said PJ! You've illustrated the point perfectly!

IRM

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

It's very much closer than that if you happen to live in Darwin or the Kimberleys (less than 500 miles) but in cultural difference it might as well be light years away. Not that I have anything against Muslim residents here and all that I've met in my lifetime are good decent citizens but I can't see them ever getting a political majority sufficient to enact such a law here. Their generations that are born and raised here become as aussie as the rest of us

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This gotta be one of the most most ignorant posts I have ever read. Indonesia is NOT under sharia law, but has a very vibrant democracy. Only one out of 33 provinces in Indonesia has sharia law, (province of Aceh, the most northernmost nearby malaysia, a semi autonomous part in Indonesia due to some rebel fightings in the past). But even in Aceh, the supreme court and constitutional of Indonesia still has more power over every Islamic court in Aceh, meaning that if a court in Aceh condemens someone to stoning for example, the supreme court will always overrule that decission, because it is against the republics law in regards to human rights.

And also the sharia law in Aceh only applies to Muslims living there. So if you are a christian woman living in Aceh you do not need to wear a headscarf for example.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by nagabonar]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Anyone remember the Cronulla riots?
As an Australian, all I really have to say is, they could try, but they would fail miserably.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

No, I admit to not having heard of the Cronulla Riots. See what a guy can learn if he keeps my mouth shut for a few hours and just reads. I went looking for info on what the Cronulla Riots were about.

Are they still selling these T-shirts? Sounds like I could use one to wear to a football game, now that the new season is near upon us.

and t-shirts read "# Allah, Save Nulla", "Love it or Leave it", "Wog Free Zone" and "We grew here, you flew here".

Of couse you guys don't call it football like we do. You call it either soccer or Australian rules football or rugby. I can tell you this, rugby is a damn right popular sport in Florida. Not on television, mind you. There's just a lot of Aussies and Brits and Irish and such living in Florida who join rugby teams not unlike Americans join softball teams. I've seen some damn good controlled violence at these rugby games.

There was this one memorable moment when a rugby player broke his ankle out in the middle of the field. I'm no expert on rugby rules, mind you. But I did notice they didn't call a time-out simply because the fellow broke his ankle and was laying their in the middle of the field.

Now, the stretcher bearers, they stood on the sideline waiting for a break in the action to where they could run out onto the field to carry the damaged player back to the sideline safety. Sure enough, as the two teams were at the opposite end of the field tackling and elbowing and kneeing each other, the stretcher bearers ran out to the fallen player. They unceremoniously threw the hurt guy onto the stretcher. Then the ran full tilt boogey back to the sideline carting their damaged comrade.

Sure to be told, the stretcher bearers were plum out of breath by the time they got to the sideline. They set the stretcher package down to reclaim their oxygen. When a player on the field kicked the ball high into the air.

Now, I'm standing there watching the ball arc through the air, then come straight down to land on the face of the fellow with the broken ankle lying on the strether on the sideline. Talk about adding your injury and some insult to the rest of the injury.

Yeah, I could use one of those Cronulla Riot T-Shirts to wear to a rugby game next time I'm in South Florida. If you guys are still selling them. The ones that say: and t-shirts read "# Allah, Save Nulla", "Love it or Leave it", "Wog Free Zone" and "We grew here, you flew here".

I have a feeling such a poetic T-Shirt would be well appreciated at a rugby game.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I will not presume to speak for you Aussies in your affairs.....

But I will say, 'Never say never'!

Having spent many years in the Australian Army I am lucky enough to have seen a fair majority of the nation over those years. Not once did I see in any community in the outback, from a city to the smallest town, any form of missionary, especially an Islamic one. The greatest 'recruiting centres' are actually in the goals (jails in American).

Since before I was born, Australia has been a place of immigrants. Despite what some may claim, we are a very tolerant nation, we will accept anyone, on a few conditions.

You make the effort to learn english,
You dont try to change our way of life,
You dont bring your OLD countrys problems here.

Basically if you can sit down with us & have a few beers over a BBQ (& no, we dont throw shrimp on the barby, & if we did we'd throw prawns on, & we dont drink fosters either), dont bitch about how oppressed you or 'your' people are, & dont get upset if we have a joke at your expense, we expect the same back. Then we know you will fit in. We call you a dirty pom, call us a convict. Its only been the last decade or so that 'wog ball' became known as soccer.

Sure, theres some jerks here like everywhere, but generally we never mean any disrespect, we're all different, but we'd prefer to have a joke about those differences than argue about them. We will accept anyone, as long as they dont try to our way of life, we like it how it is.

As for 'never say never'. Ask those that have emigrated here & have accepted our way, they will tell you as I will, never will sharia law be accepted in the slightest way here.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Yep, like my friend in the Aussie movie business said, sometimes things can get a might rough in Australia. I'm heartened to hear that a good many Aussies won't be bullied by someone else's religion.

In the yachting industry, I've gotten to meet a number of Austrlians and South Africans and such, who've come to America to work on the big luxury yachts and sailboats.

Looking at the map of Australia, it kind of resembles America, only upside down. If you turn the map of Australia around....or turn the map of the United States around.......they do somewhat resemble each other. In more ways than one. There's lots of water, and there's lots of desert.

One valuable lesson I've learned about dealing with lots of water and lots of desert both, those are two places a person can become easily lost and never seen again.

Unequivocally I say that lots of water and lots of desert are two lessons that teach people respect.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Thank you for the rundown of how things work.

Sounds like I could get along easily enough there. If they ever try to do something stupid here in the States, I might have to come for an extended visit!

new topics

top topics

join