It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NM governor considers pardon for Billy the Kid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I always liked the story, its good to see that Billy is finally getting his wish...

Source

SANTA FE, N.M. — The showdown between Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid has fascinated the American public for nearly 130 years with its classic, Old West storyline of the frontier lawman hunting down the notorious gunslinger.

As it turns out, the feud isn't completely over.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is considering granting a posthumous pardon to Billy the Kid, angering descendants of Garrett who call it an insult to recognize such a violent outlaw.

Check out the source story...Its on Comcast news.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by redeyedwonder]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Billy the Kid? Never the Western fan I'm curious as to why there is a grunge against Billy. My mother said he killed two people only and robed a couple times.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Poor old Billy lived in the wrong era were he alive today he'd probably be a captain of industry or be playing a major role in formulating US foreign policy.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is exactly what I expect from our retarded government.

For them to pardon a criminal from over 100+ years ago.

This is so pointless and dumb.

Why not worry about how America is falling to pieces around us!?

Oh yeah, because they WANT America to fall apart.

So they waste all of our time with this meaningless BS to distract us from the fact we are being enslaved and raped of all our wealth/labor.

This government

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Gee if they pardon ole Billy, he can get back to work punchin' cows and payin' taxes. Imagine if they pardoned Billy and everybody else and told 'em to get their rears back to workin'. There'd be no more debt crisis, the gov't would have plenty of dough to go around arrestin' anyone who got back out of line until almost everyone was a con again, like now. Then they could go pardonin' and doin' it all agin.

Forgivin' an' forgettin' is more profitable than beatin' and jailin', tho hangin' is cheaper if'n they needs it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
what we might need is some regulators to ride the range -and the waters .
to rid the country of worse outlaws and killers than billy ever was.
as far as i know he was a child when he witnessed his whore mother killed.
that he became a violent felon is no surprise. a pardon?- at this point who cares?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hate him Love him it don't matter but the story still continues.
from the source story

The pardon dispute is the latest in a long-running fight over whether Garrett shot the real Kid or someone else and then lied about it. Some history buffs claim Billy the Kid didn't die in the shootout with Garrett and landed in Texas, where he went by "Brushy Bill" Roberts and died of a heart attack at age 90 in 1950.

Richardson joined the tussle in 2003 by supporting a plan by then-Lincoln County Sheriff Tom Sullivan to reinvestigate the century-old case.

The governor said he was willing to consider a pardon for the Kid — something the outlaw hoped for but never received from New Mexico territorial Gov. Lew Wallace.

Source

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I often go into the little town of Old Mesilla, NM, where Billy the Kid was arrested and tried. The Courthouse building is still as it was but it is a "Billy the Kid giftshoppe". It is cool with the ceilings and 12 inch thick walls of adobe.

Here is the part of the story that I like:

When Billy was coming onto the town of Mesilla, he knew there would be trouble so he took his guns off just outside of town and hung them on an old mesquite tree. When he was arrested they asked him where his guns were and he refused to say other than he hung them on a tree.

No one to this day has found them and most of the old Mesquite trees are still alive from the days of Billy. It would not surprise me to find out they are still hanging on the tree, of course the leather would be harder than a rock but here in the desert southwest things don't rot like they do elsewhere.

I have a neighbor that was out hiking in the desert and up ahead in a mesquite tree was something white hanging there. He thought to himself that it was odd and went to it and it was a pear-shaped object as white as a ghost. He said he couldn't make heads or tails of it so he plucked it off the tree and brought it home. It was hard as a rock so he put it in some warm water. Sure enough as it was absorbing the water he realized it was a leather bag and soon he was able to open it up; out poured a handful of perfect arrowheads. We both suspect that an indian, some 100 years ago (it has been that long now since they were out this way), most likely Mescalero Apache, was walking through and his bag of arrowheads had snagged the mesquite tree without him realizing it. What an awesome find!

If interested people should read about Pat Garrett, he was shot because of some goats just right up the road from me. The killer was never prosecuted, they say it was self-defense but the story says otherwise.

Also a good read is the story of the very first unsolved murder for the American settlers. High in the foothills of the Organ Mountains there is a cave/rock formation called 'La Queva', it means 'the cave', and there lived a reclusive catholic monk. He refused to live in the nearby town of Old Mesilla, NM, but told the residents not to worry about him as long as they could see his nightly fires that he would build. One night the fire did not light and they took the long trip up the slopes of the mountains. There they found the monk murdered and mutilated. Most suspected it was Apaches, but it was never really solved. Now 'La Queva' is part of a State Park and visitors go climbing there daily.

For a great visual of these mountains here is a link to Ramblin' Camera's, a photography website that features a fabulous array of pictures from the Organ Mountains. They call them the organs because the peaks look like organ pipes.

These are the mountains I stare up at every morning and every evening! I go hiking about twice a year, but I really should go more often. A fabulous place to bug-out to, water runs year round and there are Elk. Only 15 minutes from the house; this time of year the rattlesnakes are a bit heavy though.

Ramblin' Cameras--Organ Mountain Galleries

Can't you just imagine yourself riding along with Billy as he looked up at these mountain tops, most likely without a care in the World it would seem, until ole Pat Garrett got him!

OK, so now you all know where to find me, oh well!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far....

I do think that wasting money on another investigation is a waste. I mean all they would really need to do is rent Young Guns 1 & 2.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have a bill that should be written into law.

If at anytime anyone introduces a bill that has NOTHING to do with actual LAW, they should be held in contempt of the people and be summarily executed.

I am so SICK and tired of the crap these asshats try and do.

You are absolutely right. WHAT THE HELL DO THEY THINK IS THEIR JOB?

new topics

top topics

join