It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate cutting food stamps to pay for Medicaid and teacher funding

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

What I would like to say to you would probably
get me banned.I will never give you that satisfaction.

Just because you can grow food in odd places doesn't
mean others can.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Grow some of your own food to make up for the handout. Be grateful you get foodstamps at all.

So, I'd like you to put your home grown food, where your mouth is. Please tell us all, what kind of harvest you had exactly. Were you able to put food on the table growing from your HUD subsidized housing for just yourself, or did you feed a family on it? 1 person, 2, 3? What sort of food did you grow? Potatoes, corn, green beans? How did you survive from the time the seeds germinated, until you could actually eat something you grew? I'm asking because a lot of people could starve to death, while waiting on a tomato.

Medicaid and teachers are valid ways to spend the money too. Why should food stampers not feel the pinch of the times like the rest of us?

It's very interesting that you bring this up. What in essence is happening, is that Peter is being robbed to pay Paul. Just think about this for a second, don't you think that Medicaid will be put under a strain when all these people losing food stamps end up in the emergency room, or the Dr. office, because they might not have a decent, nutricious meal to eat?

Not the tied illegals argument, this is not a thread about illegal immigration.

So, when all the illegals are cut off, do to outrage of legal citizens being denied benefits, are you going to invite the illegals over to your place for supper? Why not? Since you are able to grow crops in your Condo, you might be able to get some "pickers," over to help you at harvest time!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
why don't we just buy a few $800,000 artistic water fountains to place outside of the supreme court building and lay off a few hundred teachers, and cut medicaid and food stamps........

in other words, if they took the time to look, they could find a bunch of stupid, non necessary programs, and not have to cut any of the three!!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The reason the senate is going to do this is because Medicaid is been made with the HCR the biggest public insurance for the "poor" and those that can not be mandated.

In order to get states compliant on the HCR the Obama administration is promising 100% funding on Medicaid for the states for the next 4 years, once is over the states will be forced to paid for all the Medicaid charges meaning all millions of new people that will fall under Medicaid with the HCR.

No state will be able to afford this without federal help due to the economic problem that the nation is facing right now.

Still many doctors and private hospitals are already dropping Medicaid patients because the problems with payments from the government that they faced and about to get worst.

The HCR is going to be costly specially with Medicaid been expanded, and money has to be scratched from anywhere.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Food stamps is a direct stimulus to the economy...not a cent of it is wasted or saved...so its a bad idea economically to cut food stamps overall...if anything, triple the allocaton and allow higher tax brackets to get food assistance...

I think America is "great" enough to make sure any and all citizens get 3 squares a day no matter how dirt poor you are...no, its not written in the constitution, but that doesn't mean its therefore no a sign of greatness to have all citizens fed properly...and again, the stronger argument is the effect it has on the economy.

I would be in favor of rules applied to it...such as only able to be used in stores where 75% of the stock is food (death to walmart, save your local grocer)

If the government wished to get a nice budget surplus, I know this one plant they could make legal and tax the hell out of....

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Food stamps is a direct stimulus to the economy...not a cent of it is wasted or saved...so its a bad idea economically to cut food stamps overall...if anything, triple the allocaton and allow higher tax brackets to get food assistance...

Ya, no never mind the system is rife with fraud.

Of course, there are no drug addicts that will trade $300.00 worth of food stamps for $50.00 to get their next fix, right?

There are no people collecting food stamps that drive around in a Mercedes, huh?

The system is broken, and it needs fixing, so that people who really need the money for food can get it, therby cutting down on abuse, which will save everyone who pays taxes, money!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree. The Obama administration has a big stake in expanding Medicaid, and it will be tremendously costly with all the new people who will be enrolled. I don't know how my state will be able to afford to do it once they are not receiving enormous help from the federal government. Still, I believe this coverage is a worthwhile goal.

But as Saturn FX and I have pointed out, food stamps actually put back more money into the economy in the form of stimulus than they take out. It is not sound economic policy to cut food stamps.

The cuts have to come from somewhere, of course, but I'm inclined to agree with several people that if we were not fighting these costly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan we would have much more to spend on domestic needs.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The whole system is coming down.

Oh wait, the economy is picking up didn't they say that?

Real unemployment number 16-22%

That increase in the GDP, is made up. 2.3% increase, yeah and I saw a cow flying yesterday.

Why don't they just borrow some more money or set those money trees on high output.

Prepare folks. The last depression lasted 16 years.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The largest part of the problem we have with our social programs failing and needing to be cut is that when the majority of them were designed the top incomes in this country paid a much larger percentage of their income in taxes.

The politicians over the last 40-50 years have been slowly lowering the income that paid for these programs, without taking the longview on how they would impact the nation in the future. The only thing they were and are still concerned about is how many contributions and kickbacks they can get from the elite to keep it that way.

They like to tell us how cutting taxes on the wealthy is good for the economy and to a point it does have a stimulating effect, but it is not lasting. The fact of it is trickle down economics doesn't work because it doesn't take into account human greed. It is now time to tighten the belts in this country, and those that are being asked to do the most tightening are the ones that can least afford to do so. The ones that have to choose between eating three meals today or one meal the next three days. Not the ones that have to choose between the 80 ft yacht or the 90 ft one.

It is time for those that are most able to suck it up and make some sacrifices or they may very well find themselves in the midst of an armed revolt. Not that I would want to see such a situation but history shows us that invariably when the wealthy push too far and take too much the masses will eventually say that is it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
And stop funding the wars of choice and you'd have mega-billions to pay for food, healthcare, teachers and oh so much more. $33 billion this week for Afghanistan alone. For WHAT?

And to the corporment, the plutocrats who run this country, nice move brainiacs to not have realized what allowing money and work to flow offshore would do to our tax base. Thing is if they didn't realize, they need to be crucified for being dumber than dirt. If they did realize and didn't care, well...

Idiots.

[edit on 7/31/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

You will no see anything coming from the present administration for the next two years if they lose congress as they will, see Republicans love wars and they love to feed the military corporate private complex and it needs no only blood but money to survive, if Obama was to save money he would have cut the Military spending as soon as he got hold of the presidency, but the complex is too big to fail right now.

So is better to target welfare and food stamps recipients than stop the blood flow of the biggest budget right now in congress and that is of our private side of the military, unless the goal is to forced weight control of those that depend on the government to eat.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by hotbakedtater

What I would like to say to you would probably
get me banned.I will never give you that satisfaction.

Just because you can grow food in odd places doesn't
mean others can.
Why in the world would you want to say something so nasty to get yourself banned over my opinion on one subject? That is odd. And why do you think I would gain satisfaction from it? I am debating an issue, please do not take this so personally.

Yes, anyone can grow their own food, especially supplemental food. maybe notgrow all the food you need, but more than enough to amke up for food stamp cuts. Again, just because I can actually does mean anyone who wants to can grow their own food. All it takes is the will and want.

There is a reason food stamps pay for seeds.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Grow some of your own food to make up for the handout. Be grateful you get foodstamps at all.

So, I'd like you to put your home grown food, where your mouth is. Please tell us all, what kind of harvest you had exactly. Were you able to put food on the table growing from your HUD subsidized housing for just yourself, or did you feed a family on it? 1 person, 2, 3? What sort of food did you grow?

Tomatoes, herbs, peppers, strawberries. Mushrooms, squash. It supplemented our diet. Right now I have no need to grow my own food, but from the condo I am growing several food items at the moment.

Medicaid and teachers are valid ways to spend the money too. Why should food stampers not feel the pinch of the times like the rest of us?

It's very interesting that you bring this up. What in essence is happening, is that Peter is being robbed to pay Paul. Just think about this for a second, don't you think that Medicaid will be put under a strain when all these people losing food stamps end up in the emergency room, or the Dr. office, because they might not have a decent, nutricious meal to eat?

Who is robbing who to pay what? Maybe we can focus on bank and corporate bailouts and endless war spending, to fund the social programs our government wants to cut. It is not the illegals who are bankrupting us, it is our own government and the endless war.

Since when is it the governments place to feed you anyway? Last I checked it is my own responsibility. If foodstamps are available, so be it, if not then adapt or starve. It is not hard to feed oneself in America, unless one is quite lazy.

Again, food stamps pay for seeds and even growing a pepper or tomato is more proactive than expecting the government to feed you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

i'll let Rep. David Obey lay it out. "The cost of food relative to what we thought it would be has come down, so people on food stamps are getting a pretty good deal in comparison to what we thought they were going to get," he explains.

Really? where does he shop? oh yea..his MAID does the shopping..

quantity has gone down while prices stay the same..

Now you can get Jimmy Deans new 12 oz. package of sausage for the same price you used to get the 16 oz. package..

(just an example)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Tomatoes, herbs, peppers, strawberries. Mushrooms, squash. It supplemented our diet. Right now I have no need to grow my own food, but from the condo I am growing several food items at the moment.

Oh, so you SUPPLIMENTED your diet. You did not feed yourself, from the extra goodies you grew. How lovely you had a hobby.

Who is robbing who to pay what? Maybe we can focus on bank and corporate bailouts and endless war spending, to fund the social programs our government wants to cut. It is not the illegals who are bankrupting us, it is our own government and the endless war.

The article clearly states that the money used for food stamps will be diverted to pay for medicaid, and education. It's ok, I know it was a long article, and you might have missed those points.

Since when is it the governments place to feed you anyway? Last I checked it is my own responsibility. If foodstamps are available, so be it, if not then adapt or starve. It is not hard to feed oneself in America, unless one is quite lazy.

Ah, but it's the governments responsibility to educate you, and offer medical care?

Again, food stamps pay for seeds and even growing a pepper or tomato is more proactive than expecting the government to feed you.

Planting a few seeds, at a buck a pack or so, is not the issue. It's the extras to the seed. Decent soil, planters, grow lights, fertilizer......the list goes on. It isn't just the seeds, and people who need food right now, will not be buying seeds.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I grew all my food with dirt from the yard. I watered it from the tap, nothing fancy. (eta, I did not use fancy grow lights, thats what windows were for, and the little area in front of the apartment. Its called sunshine and it is free.)I grew my supplemental food in anything I had lying around the house, old toy Lego buckets, butter tubs, wooden tubs, a chest we were not using, flowers and non food producing plants we grew in all kinds of containers, shoes, fancy cups etc. We means me and the kids, and not only did we get eat what we grew it was educational for the kiddos.

As far as your statement, I quote:

"Oh, so you SUPPLIMENTED your diet. You did not feed yourself, from the extra goodies you grew. How lovely you had a hobby. "

What do you think we did with that food, threw it away? We ate it, and it supplemented our diet, our food budget.

What do you think food stamps are? They are a supplement. They are NOT MEANT to feed your family its entire monthly food!! It is to ease the burden of poor people eating. There are other sources for food, besides governemnt handouts, and if using the handout to grow some of your own food (priced peppers and strawberries lately? Fresh herbs?) is considered a hobby, you are missing my point. I call it proactivity in a less than fortunate situation. I call it empowering and educational and if one has a hobby why not be a useful one?

I would rather our government do away with all handout programs including the broken educational system, but I am not in charge. I would prefer the bloody war money and big corpa money bailouts have gone to our children and job creation and useful programs, but again no one listened to me.

To me, I cannot judge foodstamps as a more worthy program than caring for elders and our children. One is welfare, education is unfortunately mandated by law so I want our government to make sure it is the best it can be, since we have no choice but to participate in it if we have kids.

Food stamps are not mandated by law for citizens.

I do not mind my taxes going for them, but I personally find the other programs just as worthy for funding.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
next question is....

why do we have poor people (especially working poor people) needing food stamps, and medicaid, rent subsidies, subsidies for the their electric bill, ect....

which brings into discussion the relationship between the cost of living vrs. the wages these people are earning.....

there is something wrong when the wages someone earns straight out of college in the healthcare industry bypasses the wage a journeyman machinist earns after gaining 40 years of experience.......

the cost of the healthcare has to rise, just to accomodate the excessive pay for the inexperiences college grad, while the experienced machinist more than likely seen his earning potential drop....

so well....what can I say, ain't no individual's adaptation in the world gonna fix the problem, except everyone going out and putting themselves hopelessly in debt to get the degree and enter those fields that are paying livable wages.....which would only lead to a set of newer problems for us to have to "adapt" to.....
like, ya know, the number of college grads depreciates the value of the diploma and drives down the earning potential, the lack of skilled people working in those other necessary, although unappreciated fields drives up their wages, and well......thus drives up the cost those things that these skilled people produced...which, in the end will drive up the cost the tools that the college grads are using to do their jobs, which will inevitably drive down their earning potential!!!

seems much easier...not to mention cheaper in the long run....to just respect that little waitress, or factory worker, or machinist, or whatever, that is good at the job they are doing, and are enjoying doing it, and pay them a livable wage!!!!

that would just leave single moms, and the disabled, temporarily unemployed (who just might find themselves a job sooner, if there were more jobs that paid them a wage they could live on!!)..

promote childcare for those single moms, get them out working, that leaves the old, the job seekers, and the disabled needing help to meet their needs. cuts down on the number of employees manning all those various agencies that are handing out the aid, all of whom who seem to be getting higher wages and better benefits than the those of us working out here in the real world and paying taxes to pay their wages....

it's not we the people that need to adapt...it's the system! it almost seems like it was designed to produce poor people that would need the help of these agencies. and every dollar that flows through those agencies, every adaptation we the people make to fit into this insane system, well, it just contorts the not so free market into a bigger less manageable mess!!
if we all started growing even half of the produce we consume, umm......wouldn't that put a bind on those working in the economy at this time who get the food from seed to the produce section in the stores??

[edit on 1-8-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Not the tied illegals argument, this is not a thread about illegal immigration.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by hotbakedtater]

You are really the queen of non-sequiturs!
People on food stamps are already feeling the pinch - which is why they're on food stamps - DUH! And illegals are a HUGE part of the budget problem as they take from the system are rarely contribute to it. A country can ill-afford to provide for 20M illegal aliens when it cannot afford to provide the basics for its own citizens. So yes, in a sense, illegals play a large part in this despite your attempted consternation.

To the OP: This is why we need to end these pointless exercises in empire in the ME. We could use a fraction of that money to shore up these badly needed systems in the short term. I am no fan of long-term social programs. If the government would just stay the hell out of private enterprise, the system would work all by itself.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

or.....
just the billions that they "lost" and can't account for......

probably ended up in some black op program, who knows, maybe it is funding all these mexican drug lords that are raising heck along our border???

they have plenty of money, they just don't have the sense to know how to use that money effectively...

hey, I found out the other day, that anyone who goes under and finds themselves heading toward bankruptcy court now has to go through a credit and debt management counseling session (yes, you have to pay to take this session)...

Imagine that....the people in washington who can't balance their budget, drive the deficit into the trillions, lose billions of that borrowed money on a regular basis....they think that we need debt and credit counseling!!!!!

I think before we "adapt" any further, we demand that they fork over the money and take their own debt and credit counseling course!!! I think they need it far worse than little ole me who is still going to work everyday for that wage that I can't for the life of me figure out how I am supposed to live on, and working that job in pain, while believing that I am causing myself a little bit of internal bleeding the whole time.....just because I am afraid to put myself that far into debt to fix a medical problem!!!!

people need to quit blaming the poor for problems that the rich and their gov't puppets have created!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I couldn't agree with you more!!!
Nicely done!

If you look at almost every piece of "Legislation" that has left CONgress over the past decade, they almost universally protect some major business interest at the expense of we, the people.

When this all collapses, and it most certainly will, the politicians and bankers had better hope and pray that they are bunkered in well. Because, we, the people, will be coming for them and we are going to be pissed off!!! We have paid for their hubris with our time and money - they will pay for it with their lives!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join