It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What nearly punched a hole in this Japanese oil tanker?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes: force of the blast decreases by the cube of the distance in meters. With this formula the rest is obvious.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jelonek
Also note that the dent suggests spherical shape of the object, probably 2/3 the height of the tanker's board.

It does not suggest a spherical shape. Just imagine that whatever hit the tanker could be easily deformed itself, like having a crush zone. In that event, it would conform itself to the impact area and assume a blunt shape even if it didn't have that shape before the accident happened.

Imagine a perfectly rectangular box filled with potatoes and aimed at the tanker at 100 mph.

I'm just trying to bring more precision to the argument, I don't mean to to debunk your post or anything.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Actually by accident our alleged polski seaman is somewhat right although he;d argue about it.
Something spherical did hit the craft. The blast wave of a suspended explosive charge is in therory essentially spherical and yes if using the more common military explosives the detonation rate is about 4 to 5 miles/second, pushes air which is enough to crush or shread material before it depending on its shear and elasticity moduli. Matter takes on interesting properties at hypersonic velcities, you should read up on it if you have time.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mordant1

Actually by accident our alleged polski seaman is somewhat right although he;d argue about it.
Something spherical did hit the craft. The blast wave of a suspended explosive charge is in therory essentially spherical and yes if using the more common military explosives the detonation rate is about 4 to 5 miles/second, pushes air which is enough to crush or shread material before it depending on its shear and elasticity moduli. Matter takes on interesting properties at hypersonic velcities, you should read up on it if you have time.

I appreciate people who can properly form the plural of a Latin noun

Look, I don't deny it could have been an explosive charge, just saying that you can't infer a spherical shape of the impacting object at all, because the object itself could have been crushed.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

THe best I can say is that if you ignore what you can see and what you know then I would agree then , anything is possible in any circumstance if you want it to be.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mordant1

To be honest, why would I argue about that? It makes sense. Probably accidentally

But what about the explosive material?
Was it placed ON the hull or NEAR it?
Bear in mind that this is an unarmored steel alloy, sandwiched with core of foam.
So what about the placement of the explosive? Care to elaborate?
Besides, I'm not a seaman per se. I'm an officer of the Navy (porucznik - lieutenant, this is the rank you exit naval academy with).

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bair1975

I don't know.

What I do know is there have been so many spills all of the sudden lately, everywhere, that's it's getting harder and harder to not declare all out conspiracy.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Jelonek,

jak leci?

reply to post by mordant1

But what about the explosive material?
Was it placed ON the hull or NEAR it?

I just feel that's impossible to determine the likely cause of the damage without having a detailed forensic account, which we don't. Were there scratches on the surface indicative of an impact with an external body, or was there some organic residue form the explosion? We just don't have data.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jelonek

Exactly what i was thinking Jelonek, when i read his second post.

He or she could be a child with ADHD i guess. I suppose the rudeness and snap to judge goes along with the mental disorder.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by Jelonek

Exactly what i was thinking Jelonek, when i read his second post.

He or she could be a child with ADHD i guess. I suppose the rudeness and snap to judge goes along with the mental disorder.

Spikey, this is uncalled for. I can be pretty abrasive and/or confrontational myself, but in a benign thread like this, let's just have peace.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

jak leci?

Dzięki, jak na razie świetnie

As for the mordant1, I think that he just pushes the boundaries of "confrontative" pretty close to "offensive", but that's ok.

You are all right, we have no data so we must rely on speculative theories. Well, it's not a problem unlike what mordant1 says, good brainstorm could produce an interesting idea about what happened.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You are all right, we have no data so we must rely on speculative theories.

Jelonek, I'm a scientist and I think it's best to relent, at times when data doesn't offer real clues... Just in the interest of not obscuring truth...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bair1975

Why are people allowed to spam your thread?

This could have been another oil spill.A lot of that going on lately.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That's absolutely correct. Based on what we've managed to get our hands on (very vague description of the event and some pictures) we might come to a plethora of fantastic stories which we've already created in this thread.
I attempted to come with a possible explanation of an unknown object impacting the hull but hey, it's as good as any other theory.
To get anything out of this case we would need detailed descriptions of the event from the crew, structural drawing of the vessel, forensic analysis of impacted area for possible explosion/burning residue, scratch marks, changes in the material caused by an alleged impact etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

An Iranian marine authority says latest investigations suggest overheated oil tanks have caused the mysterious blast onboard a Japanese supertanker in the Persian Gulf.

"Overheated oil tanks triggered the explosion on the Japanese supertanker's deck," he added, rejecting speculation about a possible terrorist attack on the vessel.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
" is more consistent with a collision of some sort than an explosion. "

im really thinking that a super fast USO had hit the tanker

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I didn't think of that. You're right about the possible deformation of the impacting object.
I thought of it mainly in UFO or submersible terms, as the terrorist attack at this part of the ship wouldn't achieve much. That's in line with engine compartment, that's all. I've already pointed out that an attack would happen somewhere in the middle of the ship where there's no superstructure and hull is at its weakest point. There are also oil tanks there, so even if the tanker does not sink it will spill the oil around for quite some time and quite a distance. Bear in mind that tankers usually take several kilometers to full stop.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Interesting.
But the ship is inspected in UAE so iranians getting information from Oman is not really relevant now. We'll have to wait for the expertise conclusions.

It's speculations summer olympics or they really don't want to scare the shipping companies.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I like your answer the best. A whale that found out there was a Japanese flagged ship was around and tried to get some payback for his whale buddies the japanese have killed. Paybacks a bi**h.

No seriously this sure does put up more question than answers. We can speculate all we want,I really don't think we will get the truth anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sorry to be off topic but why on earth was Mordant1 banned?

Second line this time.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join